• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Gateway Wizard

sorry if I missed it...

Is the wizard a retool? From 21.0 diam to 21.2 now?

Are PWPs the closest to G9is? I use 2 mediums acquired from a PIAS years ago, and would like backups as close as possible...TIA

If you're looking for a couple G9i's, I could probably help you out there.

I thought you were saying there was another recent batch. Which, if true, would require me to call Gateway and get 20 stamped up with the SP logo.

I can't imagine you liking the G9i more than the PWs anyway. The PWs seem like exactly what you love about the mold.

I can't imagine you liking the G9i more than the PWs anyway. The PWs seem like exactly what you love about the mold.

I have a couple G9i that I like very much.

I like throwing the PWs, but they feel off--too deep and high shouldered--for putting (since I am used to lower profiled putting Wizards). I', sure I could switch over time, but....

I am still rotating through my G25s for putting (they're the prefect blend and low profile shape for me). G9i and G25 have about the same profile, and are both very stiff.

If i look at Infinite Discs and there "softness bar" under the discs,
The Judge Classic is at 4 for softness. . .blend at 5 and soft at 7
Wizard soft is at 4 . . .super soft 7 and super stupid soft at 8
So if this i right the super soft is alot softer than a "blend"

But i got my Gateway Evolution Magic today that is listed at a 4 in softness . . but it´s WAY softer than my DD Classic or Lat64 zero hard that also have a 4 in softness

I have somehow managed to accumulate three Supersoft Wizards and one Soft Wizard, and a whole lot of DD putters in Classic (hard), Classic Blend, and one Prime Deputy.

First, with Gateway, "Soft" is anything but. Soft is more firm than Classic, by a lot, for the most part. "Supersoft" is more in the range of Classic, and Supersoft is more firm than Classic Blend.

I should note that Classic Blend can be pretty firm fresh out of the box, but softens up fairly quickly with putting and/or throwing use.

Second, Gateway's plastics are good, but are all over the map in firmness. SSS can be pretty firm or relatively soft. Supersoft can vary from run to run, from as firm as Soft to as less firm as SSS.

And third, and just like flight numbers, the "softness bar" should not be relied upon with Gospel certitude, so sorry. Especially when talking Gateway plastics.

If i look at Infinite Discs and there "softness bar" under the discs,

The Judge Classic is at 4 for softness. . .blend at 5 and soft at 7

Wizard soft is at 4 . . .super soft 7 and super stupid soft at 8

So if this i right the super soft is alot softer than a "blend"

No. SSS is often close to Blend, but as a previous poster said, it is not always the case. I have a SSS that is as firm as any Classic Hard Judge I own.

I am still rotating through my G25s for putting (they're the prefect blend and low profile shape for me). G9i and G25 have about the same profile, and are both very stiff.

I only have one, but I love my G25. I really wish it had become a regular run plastic. I understand most of these one of blends are just a mix of plastic that Gateway happens to get in, but man I wish I could find more of these at reasonable prices. Not that I need any more Wizards. I am still putting with one of the first two I ever got about 3 years later.

I have somehow managed to accumulate three Supersoft Wizards and one Soft Wizard, and a whole lot of DD putters in Classic (hard), Classic Blend, and one Prime Deputy.

First, with Gateway, "Soft" is anything but. Soft is more firm than Classic, by a lot, for the most part. "Supersoft" is more in the range of Classic, and Supersoft is more firm than Classic Blend.

I should note that Classic Blend can be pretty firm fresh out of the box, but softens up fairly quickly with putting and/or throwing use.

Second, Gateway's plastics are good, but are all over the map in firmness. SSS can be pretty firm or relatively soft. Supersoft can vary from run to run, from as firm as Soft to as less firm as SSS.

And third, and just like flight numbers, the "softness bar" should not be relied upon with Gospel certitude, so sorry. Especially when talking Gateway plastics.

No. SSS is often close to Blend, but as a previous poster said, it is not always the case. I have a SSS that is as firm as any Classic Hard Judge I own.

Thanks. . looks like Gatway is not for me, i have too order online and with that much variance in the plastics softness it feels like to much of a gamble

Thanks. . looks like Gatway is not for me, i have too order online and with that much variance in the plastics softness it feels like to much of a gamble

There are a couple ways to look at this. 1. Plastic feel is #1 for you. No matter how much you fall for any company's blends, chances are when you're ready to replace your putter, the blend will be different because they ran out of the plastic that made your baby and bought more that was close but not the same. 2. For the most part every S-Series (pretty much anything but their Champ-style blend) Wizard flies like a Wizard.

So do you want that perfect feel in hand that isn't really repeatable, or do you want a disc that flies like it should every time?

For a putter i basicly want 5-10 in same weight, color, stamp and plastic that all feel the same . . i usually buy one to try, and if i like it so much that it will be my new putter, then i buy 5-10 more.

My plan was to try Gateway and buy one Wizard, Voodoo, Warlock and Magic and to try them out

For a putter i basicly want 5-10 in same weight, color, stamp and plastic that all feel the same . . i usually buy one to try, and if i like it so much that it will be my new putter, then i buy 5-10 more.

My plan was to try Gateway and buy one Wizard, Voodoo, Warlock and Magic and to try them out

Gateway is really good if you call them directly and outline what you want in a disc and will let you order several of the same feel, flex, plastic etc.

What putter were/are you using? Do you like the feel but just want something a little different?

So, the Wizard is such a great mold, I would not write it off just because of the plastic inconsistency. The SSS, as I said before, is usually pretty close to Trilogy Medium. I putted with Judges for quite a while but wanted something just a tad deeper, so I turned to the Wizard. And I will never look back.

Kinda cool news for fans of the really old Wizards (the very first ones that develop dimples in the flight plate over time):
So, there's the Nikko Signature Wizards out right now, which are the old mold. Low profile, bullet shaped nose, thin flight flate.. Pretty cool that they brought back the old mold (at Nikko's request probably). Only thing for me is that they are all around SSS in firmness. I am a huge fan of the old Medium Wizards in that same mold. I use 2 for putting.

Anywho, I messaged Gateway on FB asking if they were planning to run firm Nikko Sig. Wizards. They said, "Ironically enough the next release in the Nikko signature will be firm flat wizards ( 600 of them in red or yellow) molded with the thinner flight plate. We're just finalizing the art up and will hopefully have some available soon"

I am super pumped, because I can now get my fav stiff old-school Wizards easily!!

What putter were/are you using? Do you like the feel but just want something a little different?

I was putting with the McPro Aviar for over a year, but the plastic was to slippery for me. .. so i have the Blend Deputy now, a more shallow and "no fade" putter.

But the McPro was i little deep, and the Deputy maybee TO shallow and a hair to US sometimes . . . . . if i hade to guess i think the Voodoo or Warlock might suit me

I was putting with the McPro Aviar for over a year, but the plastic was to slippery for me. .. so i have the Blend Deputy now, a more shallow and "no fade" putter.

But the McPro was i little deep, and the Deputy maybee TO shallow and a hair to US sometimes . . . . . if i hade to guess i think the Voodoo or Warlock might suit me

Warlock is basically an Aviar PnA mold (McPro is also an Aviar PnA). Not sure if it will fix the too deep feel of the McPro though. Warlock is a great mold and does not get the love it should.

I might also suggest a Warden from Dynamic instead of a Deputy.

Also, I might avoid the Wizard since it has a big bead that you may not like. Then again, you may learn to love it as I have.

I have tryed a Warden and Marshall but for some reason it didn´t "klick" with me.

The only beaded putter i have tryed is the Challenger, but i think my Challenger was defect. . more US than my Deputy?!

But i´m going to buy some Gatway putters, fun to try. . got my first Gatway Magic today, will be fun to try after work

So this is confusing. .

I Went to my lokal League today and decided to use my Gateway Magic as my putter and US approach disc i took a totaly new mid setup. .

So a new putter in premium plastic ( i never putt with premium plastic ) and 50% new bag. 8 discs, 4 of them brand new for me

And a won on a new personal best!!. . .dont Think i missed a single putt and my new mids workt perfect :)

The store closest to me that I used to get Wizards from closed. I'm not putting with wizards currently, and have a stack of 10 or so different types of them, but I feel some panic that I'd have to call to get them if I wanted more.

I really loved the older Chalky stiff run Softs that were marked as SS on the handwritten part. Got 4 of them, with 2 still unused. I had no idea they changed the wizard, all mine are from 2009-2011 with a random purchase probably in 2014

Anyone have experience with newer runs of Glow Wiz? The store tells me they're flat, stiff and grippy but I have no possibility of feeling them up.