• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Gorilla Boy Disc Sports

Should Chris make the secondary color Black

• Yes

Votes: 78 69.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 34 30.4%

• Total voters
jsun3thousand said:
uNicedmeMan said:
I've successfully carried my squirrel monkey onto a plane. After a bunch of explanation of what the hell the discs were they let me carry it on without much fuss.

The last time I went through security in KC with my squirrel monkey, the security guard got all gitty because he wanted everyone to see how the discs looked on the xray machine.

That's been my experience as well. Every time I go through security I see the people looking at the xrays call others over and point at the screen, then...."sir, do you mind if we look in your bag..." :lol:

jsun3thousand said:
The last time I went through security in KC with my squirrel monkey, the security guard got all gitty because he wanted everyone to see how the discs looked on the xray machine.

:lol: That's never a good sign, when a professional ______ is calling over other professional ______s to look at you and your interesting new case they haven't seen before.

Especially if you are visiting the dermatologist.

I recommend you give your bag a once-over with the vacuum before carrying on. Airports are sketchy places, particularly the security areas nowadays. You don't want the guy searching your stuff to find a bunch of long-lost cigarette butts and bottle caps and a bunch of dirt in general. They will treat you better if they don't have to wade through that stuff.

Just got my bag :D Only took 3 days on shipping.

Bag is solid, very well built putter pockets work great, have not had any issue with discs wanting to slip out and the stool is comfortable and works great. Bag has great balance and sits stable without wanting to tip over at all.

I only have two complaints about the bag. The first being that I use the side pockets for storage which really limits the number of discs the bag carries. I am carrying 14 discs and its loaded. The other being the weight. Thank god for the stool because I dont know how far I can drag this thing before having to sit down and take a break. Much heavier than the Revo Dualpack I was carrying prior. Which I was expecting since its alot more framework to make the stool possible. I will be getting some rounds in with it this weekend, and first tourney with it next weekend. At that point maybe I will have a different perspective.

Either way, great bag, great workmanship, and great shipping time. Thanks!

jsun3thousand said:
uNicedmeMan said:
I've successfully carried my squirrel monkey onto a plane. After a bunch of explanation of what the hell the discs were they let me carry it on without much fuss.

I've had 3 different scenarios going through the airport.

1. In KC - Security guard showed me what my discs looked like in the X-Ray machine.
2. In KC - Security guard searched my bag.
3. In Little Rock - Security guard used one of those explosive sniffers on my bag.

You get used to being searched after a while, because most guards have no idea what they're looking at. They see a bunch of different weight/density plastics in a bag, and, of course, they're going to be suspicious.

Dut said:
Just got my bag :D Only took 3 days on shipping.

Bag is solid, very well built putter pockets work great, have not had any issue with discs wanting to slip out and the stool is comfortable and works great. Bag has great balance and sits stable without wanting to tip over at all.

I only have two complaints about the bag. The first being that I use the side pockets for storage which really limits the number of discs the bag carries. I am carrying 14 discs and its loaded. The other being the weight. Thank god for the stool because I dont know how far I can drag this thing before having to sit down and take a break. Much heavier than the Revo Dualpack I was carrying prior. Which I was expecting since its alot more framework to make the stool possible. I will be getting some rounds in with it this weekend, and first tourney with it next weekend. At that point maybe I will have a different perspective.

Either way, great bag, great workmanship, and great shipping time. Thanks!

well the idea behind how many disc it carries was only ment for what fit in the main compartment and putter pockets..I kinda built it around the minamalist ideal here on DGR. but yes I did make sure the side pockets were big enough for discs since I knew there would be those who wanted more plastic with them.

and for futre reference the weight of the Sim with the stock straps on it and empty is right around 5.5lbs.....just in case any one was wondering about that

Im sarcastic by nature, and that doesnt translate well on forums. The bag feels heavier than what I was using but it certainly isnt unbearable, my apologies, after rereading my post it comes across harsher than meant.

Thanks again for the great bag :D

The Sim is certainly heavier than my Silverback was but with the frame in there that was to be expected and I don't personally notice the weight at all since it rides so high on my back. The storage for me is also perfect since I don't want to carry more than 14 discs. Hell, I've been using my spider monkey more lately cause I'll I've had time for has been quick solo rounds and 9 discs on the shoulder makes it easy for me to sneak in a round at lunch. 8)

Wanted to mention I got the Mini aswell, smells exactly like a banana popcicle. *thumbs up*

Dut said:
Im sarcastic by nature, and that doesnt translate well on forums. The bag feels heavier than what I was using but it certainly isnt unbearable, my apologies, after rereading my post it comes across harsher than meant.

Thanks again for the great bag :D

dont worry I didnt think any thing bad of what you wrote at all ...I just wanted to fill in the blanks and give some info on the bag is all

I'm thinking about picking up a squirrel monkey at some point in the next few weeks, and I have a few questions.

1. How well do they work with quads?
2. How does the storage pocket right behind the putter pocket work? Does it make it feel really small if I put two putters in the front pocket?
3. Are the drink holders the same size as the ones on the chimp?
4. How come the squirrel monkey is $60 and the spider monkey is $35?

lowracks said:
I'm thinking about picking up a squirrel monkey at some point in the next few weeks, and I have a few questions.

Excellent. Mine practically feels weightless with quads.

2. How does the storage pocket right behind the putter pocket work? Does it make it feel really small if I put two putters in the front pocket?

Like a pocket. No.

They hold 32oz bottles.

The extra features.

Cool, thanks. Here's one more that might be kind of stupid. On the website, it says it comes with a 9x6 mesh pocket. I've been digging through pictures and can't seem to find where exactly that is. Any help?

lowracks said:
Cool, thanks. Here's one more that might be kind of stupid. On the website, it says it comes with a 9x6 mesh pocket. I've been digging through pictures and can't seem to find where exactly that is. Any help?

It's inside the storage pocket that's behind the putter slot.

lowracks said:

Chris has said before that the cost difference is due to the Squirrel requiring the same amount of materials and a similar amount of build time as the Chimp.

When I was first looking at GB bags, I thought the Squirrel looked to be the most frivolous in the lineup. Who would pay $60 for a bag that only holds 10 discs, and who needs 2 water bottles and 10 discs??? And that storage pocket doesn't look nearly big enough!

I own one now, after owning a Chimp for a couple months and I LOVE it! It carrys better with the single strap than the Chimp IMO. In the wintertime the second water pocket is nice for rolling up a windbreaker for the unpredictable TX weather conditions. In the Chimp I COULD carry 10 discs in the main compartment, but I usually tossed in a few extra molds to fill it up when I played. I like how the Squirrel makes me choose 10 and stick with em.

I will say the front pocket can get crowded if you try to fill it and carry two putters. I solve this by carrying one putter. The mesh pocket inside is nice in that it will hold your wallet and phone flat against the bag so it doesn't fill up from the bottom. You can check out the webbing I added to the water pockets for more storage in the bag mods thread.

I think the bag could really use a mesh pocket and/or small pocket on either water pocket thought (hint hint, Chris :D )

That being said, after going through a Crunch, Chimp, and Simian the Squirrel is the bag that best suits my needs.

My digi camo Simian arrived today!!! This thing is even nicer than I though it would be, I can't wait to get home and stuff it with some discs.

One question, what is the pocket between the pocket and the main bag for and why does it have a hole in it? I'm asking because I originally planned to grizzly grip/ plastidip the bottom but if the two slits from these pockets provide some sort of functionality I may reconsider.

Thanks again Chris!

Ps. the banana scented zing is badass.

I'm currently looking through the higher end bags, and I'm having difficulties deciding which GB bag I should be considering. I'm bouncing between the Kong and Silverback, but can't figure out which fits my needs better. Between these two bags it comes down to size and the amount of discs they'll carry. I'm pretty sure I'll be carrying 16 or 17 discs and an additional 2 in the putter pocket.

The ones going into the main compartment will be 1 putter (Voodoo), 3 mids (Buzzz/Wasp), and drivers for the rest. The Kong looks to be larger than I would want/need. If they would fit into the Silverback I would greatly prefer it over the additional size of the Kong.

Here's a picture I have of the Silverback I used to have. It's not totally full and as you can see, there are 2 putters and 3 mids in the main compartment. I never carried 2 putters in the outside pocket, but I know it can be done as I do now do it with my Spider Monkey.

I don't think you'd have trouble carrying 16 plus 2 putters but 17 might be tight.

disc027.jpg

Also, there's a ton of GB pictures here.... http://s716.photobucket.com/albums/ww163/BWCC/Bags/

Unity said:
I'm currently looking through the higher end bags, and I'm having difficulties deciding which GB bag I should be considering. I'm bouncing between the Kong and Silverback, but can't figure out which fits my needs better. Between these two bags it comes down to size and the amount of discs they'll carry. I'm pretty sure I'll be carrying 16 or 17 discs and an additional 2 in the putter pocket.

The ones going into the main compartment will be 1 putter (Voodoo), 3 mids (Buzzz/Wasp), and drivers for the rest. The Kong looks to be larger than I would want/need. If they would fit into the Silverback I would greatly prefer it over the additional size of the Kong.

I used to have a Kong, and it was larger than I needed as far as disc capacity goes, BUT, you might want to consider the extra storage for non-disc stuff, since the pockets are only so big. I used to carry a video camera with me, and the camera case fit perfectly in the bag, sandwiched between the two dividers. I sold the bag to my friend, and he'd keep a spot reserved on the side for his hoodie if he go too hot or cold during the round.