• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Gorilla Boy Disc Sports

which would you rather see for a black Friday deal?

• free shipping with in the U.S.

Votes: 20 39.2%
  • 13% off

Votes: 31 60.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I was looking through all the pics on the Gorilla Boy Facebook page and have decided it's time to start seriously saving for one of these bags...a few of those colors look amazing

I was looking through all the pics on the Gorilla Boy Facebook page and have decided it's time to start seriously saving for one of these bags...a few of those colors look amazing

I've had my Simian for half a year now and I'm no less giddy about it than when I first got it. It's an amazing bag. Looks basically brand new after a good bit of usage, and was super handy to have on my recent road trip through Texas, both for the disc storage (lots of backups made it easy to throw on water holes), extra storage (towels, snacks, and water galore), and, of course, the stool (never have to worry about not being able to find a shaded seat! Where there's shade there's a place to sit ;) ). I love this thing; best purchase I ever made.

What color did you go with? I love my Kelly green squirrel monkey but that chocolate color is pretty tempting. I just don't know how much extra heat the darker color would absorb in the summer.

I have a navy blue simian, I don't notice it getting too much hotter than any other bag I've had.

What color did you go with? I love my Kelly green squirrel monkey but that chocolate color is pretty tempting. I just don't know how much extra heat the darker color would absorb in the summer.

I went with wine, so not an overly dark color. I don't notice it getting abnormally hot; full-blown summer isn't here yet, but I'm already playing with it on cloudless, 80+ degree days.

Has anyone used a Simian as carry-on luggage on board a commercial airline? I just ordered one after seeing one in person last weekend at a tournament. I might have to make some modifications if possible. 22-24" L x 14-18" W x 9-10" H seems to be the average dimensions allowed.

I went with wine, so not an overly dark color. I don't notice it getting abnormally hot; full-blown summer isn't here yet, but I'm already playing with it on cloudless, 80+ degree days.

I'm down to the last month of waiting for my Chocolate Simian bag!!! It was the only color there was no pic of on his site, but he said it is MUCH darker than the Brown color (I think this will actually be the first Simian he makes in Chocolate). Dark brown is the best color bc it's like impossible for it to look dirty :)

I'll be sure to post a review when I finally get my hands on it. Hoping to get it May 31st.

If you haven't seen it yet, there's a few pictures of a chocolate one on the GB Facebook page. It looks pretty sweet :D

Big thanks to GB for sending me a replacement board for my seat!
*note to other: don't kneen on the center of your center. POP!

Overall swapping out the broken board for the new one wasn't that bad at all. It took me about 5 minutes to realize the method for removing it then another 10 minutes to unhook the inner system and replace it. I greatly appreciate him just sending me another board. GBs customer service is simply top notch.

Anyone have a simian and a mahal? I'm trying to figure out how to decide. Mahal seems like it would be more comfortable with the yoke system and maybe a little more space. But the simian seems to have large pockets also.

Finally got mine ordered! This fall I'll be sitting on my bag in style :hfive:

Nice.

I'd posted this on GB's facebook, but I'll throw it up here, too: a shot of me contemplating Selah Lakeside's hole 7 from atop my Simian. Can't think of a better seat from which to ponder such a great hole.

5-5-14-027.jpg

I just realized...I wonder if any simian owners get odd looks for sitting on their bag.

Mostly jealous looks...

Yeah, it usually surprises people more than anything else. The bag's boxy look gets you wondering what that's all about, then you sit down and people double take.

Regardless of what people think, the perks of the Simian's built-in stool can't be overstated. It's an awesome feature.

i'm excited to bank a couple more checks and have the extra to buy this puppy. i'll have to hold off on plastic for awhile but i'll hang in there. ;) my fade bag is already showing significant wear.

Yeah, it usually surprises people more than anything else. The bag's boxy look gets you wondering what that's all about, then you sit down and people double take.

Regardless of what people think, the perks of the Simian's built-in stool can't be overstated. It's an awesome feature.

I'd probably get one if the courses I frequent didn't have benches or something to sit on at most tees.

I'd probably get one if the courses I frequent didn't have benches or something to sit on at most tees.

Yeah with the way the summers get around here having the option to sit in shade at will is pretty wonderful. :thmbup:

Ok, finally got my Simian bag yesterday!!:thmbup:

Met up with GB at a nice little 12 holer I had never played up by Steven's Point (South Park of Wood County on here, but apparently called Willow Run by regulars). First, just wanna say he seems like a great guy. We met up, played a round, then went our seperate ways, which is when I got to really dig into the bag as I transferred all my stuff over from my Voodoo Zulu.

This isn't really a review, just me rambling about this bag for a while, so here we go:

Obviously, the first thing I did was sit down on it, and it is every bit as comfortable and amazing as I imagined it would be and more. I think it probably helps that I am only 5', so it's really like the perfect height for me, and softer than I expected. As of now (80+ holes in) it does not squeak at all either, which is a complaint I have heard - perhaps that will come as the joints of the frame loosen up a bit, but me being 130 lbs probably helps as well.

It is very sturdy - I had it fall over only once so far, when I set it the wrong direction on a steep hill, but it defintely seems a good deal harder to knock over than, say, a Grip bag. Nothing fell out when it tipped either.

The pockets on the sides of this thing are absolutely huge, I have a ton of stuff in my bag as you will see in the pics, and it could all easily fit into one of the side pockets, leaving the other for 7-8 discs (but I dont' carry that many anyway). Each of these has a mesh inner pocket also.

There are a good number of the smaller pockets as welll. Everything is symmetric, so each side has one huge pocket, a really big "mini" pocket, 3 lighter-sized pockets, a smaller zipper pocket (think birdie bag sized), and the drink holder.

There is also a much larger than expected pocket above the top disc shelf. It's 6" deep, and the width of a credit card tall. I call this the stash pocket.

There is also a large "pocket" where your back makes contact that I am unsure of it's purpose - perhaps for cart modding or just adding extra padding? :confused:

The drink holders are insulated with roughly 1" of padding, which is great - I played 2 rounds in 80+ weather today and my stuff was surprisingly cold still. Also, they are massive like everything else about the bag, those large gatorades fit with ease.

Speaking of padding, the straps are pretty nice too. Honestly, they feel exactly like the Voodoo straps I had with that bag, which were great but wore out kind of quicker than I hoped.

What else....oh, there are a ton of loops on front (my bag tags are on the highest ones) and on the back, I assume for cart modding which may come in handy if I ever want to do a cart deal as a project.

Also, I thought the way towels are connected was interesting (should be a pic in this post or the next) - basically it's an opening at the top of each side pocket and a little loop of velcro inside to hold the towel.

The umbrella holders are also nice. I got a GB umbrella as well, and I cant wait for a rain round so I can pop the umbrella in the holder while its open and keep walking like nothings happening ;) Would be perfect for a disc gator too, which is what GB used his for since water is in play at Willow Run.

The bag stands roughly 18 1/2" tall, by 10" deep (front to back of a drink holder), by 21" across (outside edge of one drink holder to the other).

It's probably a little heavier than my Zulu, but not by more than a pound or so, which is off set plus some by how amazing it feels having the weight so high up. I played 45 holes yesterday and two rounds today and it was def easier on my back than the Zulu, which hangs down at my tailbone. You can sinch the straps on this thing really really far up, which really helps since I am so small.

That's all I can think of to say, so here are some pics. The first is the bag in front of everything I have in it (the stuff is laid out according to where in the bag it is), then the bag fully loaded. The rest are of various parts. If there is any part of this bag you want to see that's not shown well just let me know and I'll post a pic.

Hopefully at least something I said is useful to someone...

Attachments

• 0601141729f.jpg
    0601141729f.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 0531142300.jpg
    0531142300.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 0531141411b.jpg
    0531141411b.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 72