• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How Did You Discover Disc Golf?

when i moved to VB, my friend who was already living here had been introduced to it by his co-workers.

In high school, I had ambitions of one day being a teacher, so I worked summers at the Goshen (Indiana) Parks and Recreation Department as a neighborhood playground leader. One of the many games our leader encouraged us to play was your old school object Frisbee golf, and he mentioned that a brand new "real Disc Golf course" was just built at one of our county parks...Oxbow Park...in June of 1989.

So I set out to try it with my Wham-O 165 Frisbee. It was insane! Triple doglegs in the woods with head-high thorns, a river, etc. But it was novel so I kept going out. Eventually, I ran into a gentleman named Jim Ingold (who joined the PDGA in 1977!), the designer of the course, and he gave me my first real Disc...a Stingray. I figured out how to throw a little flick forehand and made it go straight ahead for about 200' or so, and I was hooked.

I didn't play regularly, though, because there weren't many people playing and I never really saw people who knew what they were doing...until moving to East Lansing in 1995 and running into all the action going on at Grand Woods Park. They had the Capital City Renegades and tournaments, and it was there where I saw pros play and really got the bug myself. And then I tried Hudson Mills in 1996...

Played an object course a cpl times with some friends when I was 12. Then didn't play again for some reason. Fast forward 44 yrs and I'm driving past Sugaw park in Charlotte with my wife and we some people playing. Bought discs the next day and have been hooked since, in spite of the guy at the disc store telling us that Renny was a good course to learn on, lol.

A buddy of mine kept bugging me to come along and after a while I went with him. Never knew anything about it and the course wasn't too far out of the way. That's when I learned just how bad I sucked at the game, 50 feet was the max I could throw and we didn't even try to keep score. I was hooked on it and after hours of practice before we met again the next weekend I was atleast able to throw 150 feet to keep up. Went down and got a beginner's set and just kept practicing in a field near by and after a while I was able to play a decent round. Only four months into it and now it's more about finding people to play then anything for me to enjoy a round.

a great form of rehab

I tore my right MCL in January 2012 while playing hockey. It healed fairly quick while immobilised, but felt like it was going to tear if I bent my leg. I actually thought I needed surgery. I did some research, and found that 99% of MCL injuries don't need surgery, just painfully intense rehab. I worked on bending and stretching as much as I could at home but didn't seem to be gaining much flexibility or strength back. I'm not sure this would have worked so well, had I not been naturally a rhfh thrower, rhbh would have been too much for the knee.
One of my friends started throwing in 2011, and while talking to him one day, he asked what I thought about trying disc golf for rehab. It sounded like a great idea, stretching and bending while having some fun. We threw the first time at the beginning of April, and made it a routine to get together and throw as much as possible. It was incredible how the walking up and down hills etc, helped get my knee back to near perfect shape. By Memorial Day it was feeling pretty good.
On our 4th weekend out, I found a star TL (no markings), and the next day found a star Sidewinder, and an ESP Flash. Up until this point, I was having fun throwing, but since I was using loaned discs, I wasn't hooked. Well, I have found 35 discs since, 6 marked and returned ,24 traded and 5 still in my bag. I have 303 rounds in, at 51 courses, and can't get discing out of my head. I love this game!

I was cooped up in my dad's motorhome. Economy sucked but I had a steady job. I saw that the City park had some disc golf parks. Decided to buy some discs and throw to get outta the house. I had golf clubs but green fees were too high.

Fun and now I am a plastic buying dude.

I was visiting my parents in my home(ish) town, London Ontario this past January. some good friends of mine took me (got me to drive them) to the local course. I thought the game sounded like some sort of gimmick and was reluctant at first but I was hooked by the second teepad. I couldn't throw worth a damn with the pro boss that they lent me but i still had a blast. I did some internet research and learned a bit about the sport, and then the day that I got in to Vancouver I went shopping. I went straight to the store after dropping my suitcase off at home base, and then headed to the closest course. I've been hooked ever since. I played an average of 30 hours a week this summer on top of working 45+ hours a week. can't get enough.

My friend and I were browsing a sporting goods store and out in a little corner sat a tiny Innova kiosk. The disc I laid eyes on first was a Dx Valkryie and was sold instantly and almost strictly on the picture of the disc. Any disc with this on it is obviously awesome.
I played and that thought was justly confirmed.

When I was a kid, we played safari object disc golf around the apt complex. I always had a blast. In highschool there was a disc golf course nearby, and started playing with ultimate discs. In 2005 after several moves, I found out about real discs and have been hooked ever since.

1977 or 1978, I'm working in a small parks and recreation department. My first real adult job out of college. My boss comes in one morning with the latest Parks and Recreation journal and says, "Look at this new sport they're playing down in California, Frisbee Golf. Let's build a course." So we layed out a pole hole course in our little park throwing the old Whamo 119 gr, 141 gr and 171(?) gr frisbees. The course (poles) are still there. No-ones played it in years and I've never listed. I wouldn't want anyone wasting their time to go try and play it.

I still have a few of the clear 141 gr discs that say "77 National Championship Series. International Frisbee Association". Including one that's never been thrown. Anyone know what they might be worth?

When I was in elementary school my dad took me and my brother to la mirada regional to play on the massive playgrounds. We went into the proshop because I noticed people walking out with frisbees. He bought me a dx shark and my brother a dx cobra, which were the newest discs at the time. We played a few holes that day and that was the only time. Couple decades later i'm taking my son to the playgrounds there and I watch a couple guys walk up to hole 1 first guy waves his arms around in a half hearted stretch and throws an ace bomb. They all jump around screaming and I thought it would be a good activity for me and my son to do together. He's only three but throwing frisbees is fun at any age. So I bought a few discs from the same shop.

4 years ago a guy I work with told me his son was in town from California and was teaching him disc golf. I had known about the sport for years, just never made the effort to check it out. My co-worker told me how fun it is and I should try it. We went to PIAS and I bought 3 discs, Leopard, Aurora MS and an Aviar P&A along with a bag. We headed over to Zilker Park and as I got on the 1st tee I was thinking, "How hard can this be?" I had played a lot of Frisbee in high school. So, with no practice, I reached back with a backhand throw and………shanked it almost straight left. Oh, so THAT'S how hard it can be. I think I shot 20 over for the round but still loved it. But I think what really hooked me was after several rounds I finally nailed a drive with the Leopard. Watching that disc carry way out there, exactly where I wanted it to go….that was the moment.

Just over 11 years ago, a buddy asked me to join him. he "smoked", i did from time to time, he thought i'd enjoy playing, and it was a safe place to "smoke"....needless to say i took to it and skipped a LOT of class over the next few years to disc golf. Man those were the days, at the great, but extinct, Ross Hills.

My brother and I would use our Ultimate frisbees and take turns picking a tree/rock around the house and see who could hit it in the fewest strokes. Did that all summer (2006) and then saw an Innova starter pack (Aviar, Shark, Leopard) at Dick's Sporting Goods in the fall. Bought it and threw the Leopard farther than the frisbee ever went on the first try. Hard not to fall in love when the first throw is a 250' s-curve.

I has a lifted Ford Ranger and was in a truck club. We had a picnic scheduled in Veterans Park in Sylmar CA. I got there first and waited in the Park's entrance parking lot for another truck to show up so we could park together.

While parked, two disc golfers (including Coonass) came up and tee'd off on old Hole 1. I watched them and counted their throws. They both made it in 4 shots. I had an ultimate lid in the car and played the hole right behind them. I too got a 4.

I realized I didn't have the special discs they had and I still got the same score... so I went to the liquor store down the street and bought a few discs. Started playing the next day.

DSCJNKY

I still have a few of the clear 141 gr discs that say "77 National Championship Series. International Frisbee Association". Including one that's never been thrown. Anyone know what they might be worth?

Like!

I found a Wham-O Pro 1000 Frisbee with a 1975 date embossed on the back in one of our water hazards about 12 years ago. Someone had duct taped a bunch of cardboard beneath it to make it more massive for the purposes of Disc Golf, I guess. No name or number, so I couldn't seek good Karma...Had to keep it! One of my prized Discs.

You would love seeing the collection the guy who introduced me to the sport has. Tons of stuff from the '70s and maybe before. He showed it to me when I first played in '89 and I can still see that whole wall of his garage covered in early Disc memorabilia.

Hiking Seneca

I used to hike Seneca Park in Maryland after I moved there in 1983. A buddy and I would throw a Frisbee back and forth as we hiked (playing a strange game we call "Walkabout"). One day, there were these metal baskets along the route and on later hikes we saw guys throwing discs. Of course we first started playing with regular Frisbees until we met a tall lanky fellow named Ken who could throw these long cool S-curves with these smaller harder discs. We decided to buy some and it all took off from there.

I have it in my hands...It's a Fastback FB13 model, white, that says only this on the front:

*Official*
Pro-1000
*Frisbee*

The reverse has the embossed "Try Other Frisbee Models" message all around the Disc and a 1975 date, San Gabriel, CA. And a bunch of other stuff. And by itself, "FB13.." When I try to look up what this is, I get sent to vague Frisbee pages on e-bay, but that's it.

There appears to be a bunch of stuff you describe all in the $10-$20 range.

Neat to look at, though. I remember a lot of those from my youth.

Back in 2006 or 2007 I had heard about disc golf and it sounded fun but I wasn't able to find a good frisbee when I tried to play at a local course. A year or so later I found out one of my coworkers played a lot and he was excited to introduce me to the game. I was hooked on round 1. He taught me all about hyzer and anhyzer and gave me a beautiful tie dye Discraft XS that is now retired. I don't play with him anymore but he will always be my disc golf "sensei".
Since then I try to pass on everything I've learned and give plastic to any potential new player I introduce the sport to. I play 4-6 rounds a week and try to squeeze in some putting practice when I can. I have a list of 34 people I text message every time I play a casual round. Usually we don't get more than 4 or 5 to show up at a time but it's always fun and the list is growing. I LOVE DISC GOLF!

Latest posts