• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] ID a disc or ask "What is the story on this disc...?" - Take II

Just traded a buddy for this Champ Glow Eagle. Pretty gummy but couldn't find out if this was a CFR release or what.

Sorry in advance but I cant upload pics with my phone. I ordered a bar stamp dx gator the other day for a friend. With all the retro stamps out there these days, is there an easy way to tell if its a real bar stamp or a retro? It looks exactly the same from all angles as a metal flake gator I ordered at the same time. The disc abbreviation and weight does look like it is old ink , and it has a rancho mold mark. I just haven't had enough experience with dx plastic to no from the feel, and the only other dx I have is an Ontario mold XD and a new roc. I did have a bullet stamp xd from late 80's early 90's that was a lot stiffer plastic than this. Any help?

I don't think there have been any retro-stamped DX discs. The retro stamps have been on Champ plastic factory store runs.

The Gator might have been the last disc to get a new stamp, though. It seemed like the DX Gators had the barstamp for years after the others had the new logo. I'm not sure if it was because they didn't update the stamp or if it was because DX Gators don't sell and the old stock sat around forever.

So I found this Star Firebird in a local shop that is PFN and has the patent #'s. The plastic blend is very unique, it looks extremely shiny and glassy. I've never seen another run of Star that quite looks like this. Most have a more matte finish but this is as slick and shiny as it gets. I also noticed it has black marks in it like it should be a F2, but too many for it not to be part of the plastic run.

Anyone have some of these discs? Have you seen runs of this type lately?

Patent numbers on Star Destroyers?

Some have it and some don't. I have a few *DS that have the numbers and some guy has to have the disc because it must be special to him. If it were a *D, I would understand. but the *DS is a recent run correct?

I have two putters that I have had since like 1999-2001 (somewhere in there) and I have no idea what they are. They appear to be the aviar mold but are soft to super soft material. Innova champion discs san marino on back. Also their normal patent number. One has a graffiti stamp with the name ching in it. The other just a basket and the words disc golf.
http://tinypic.com/r/iwmd7p/8
http://tinypic.com/r/2zow1si/8

Last edited:
Some have it and some don't. I have a few *DS that have the numbers and some guy has to have the disc because it must be special to him. If it were a *D, I would understand. but the *DS is a recent run correct?

Pat numbers are pre Vulcan top runs, and they marked some *D, *DS, S/DS around the same time. Pat #'s are also mostly considered pre Avery, but there are many with the older avery stamp, but many consider those discs left over from older runs, but stamped later with a newer stamp. Hope that helps a little !

So I found this Star Firebird in a local shop that is PFN and has the patent #'s. The plastic blend is very unique, it looks extremely shiny and glassy. I've never seen another run of Star that quite looks like this. Most have a more matte finish but this is as slick and shiny as it gets. I also noticed it has black marks in it like it should be a F2, but too many for it not to be part of the plastic run.

Anyone have some of these discs? Have you seen runs of this type lately?

Here it is, super glossy.

image_zps2d40fe68.jpg

I have two putters that I have had since like 1999-2001 (somewhere in there) and I have no idea what they are. They appear to be the aviar mold but are soft to super soft material. Innova champion discs san marino on back. Also their normal patent number. One has a graffiti stamp with the name ching in it. The other just a basket and the words disc golf.
http://tinypic.com/r/iwmd7p/8
http://tinypic.com/r/2zow1si/8
The red one has the Stir Fried Disc Golf stamp; Disc Golf World sold those for a long time. Based on your description I'm going to guess it's a small bead Aviar Putt & Approach. The white one is a Ching Aviar; I don't really remember if those were all big beads or if they ran those in small bead as well. They are Aviars at any rate.