• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] ID a disc or ask "What is the story on this disc...?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
History lesson on two discs

Two weeks ago I picked up an Innova DX Hammer (hammerhead shark stamp) and a DX Barracuda. Both are used and sitting somewhere around 6/10 for wear. I know both are discontinued from 90s, but that is the extent that I know about them.

I have already done a search here and on the interweb that turned up little useful information. Considering their wear, they are probably not worth much, but I would still like to know the history of the discs.

Can anyone shed any light on these discs?

That generation of Hammer (the one with the shark stamp) was interesting because Innova was trying to develop a more durable DX disc. Their two attempts were the Griffin and large-diameter Hammer. With the Griffin they designed a small-diameter driver with a beefed up blunt nose to absorb impacts, and it was basically slower and more overstable than a Gazelle. With the Hammer they took a Roc-like design and made the flight plate really thick. The thicker flight plate made the disc less likely to crack, but it also took weight away from the outer edges of the disc and moved it to the center. Because of that, the shark-stamped Hammer was slow and understable. It was a pretty touchy flyer.

When Millennium discs came out, the idea switched from designing a more durable DX disc to developing more durable plastics. The Aurora MS was what Innova wanted the Hammer to be but wasn't, so the Hammer went OOP. The Griffin went OOP as well. They had both been advertised as "unbreakable," but there was no more need for that once Millennium was on the scene.

Is there a way to tell the difference between a 9x and 10x KC Pro Teebird?

I have one that has the older bar style innova logo so it should be a 9 or 10x. It has a T above the nipple and the weight below the nipple, all inside the ring. The part of the stamp that says 9x or 10x is gone. I can't even see an imprint in the light

value Q

Had a disc left to me, curious about the value / story etc if anyone can shed light. Thanks in advance!

174G
8.5/10

Attachments

• milbarstamp.jpg
    milbarstamp.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 32
Booter answered this for you 20 minutes ago (edit: 20 minutes before you posted in this thread with the same question) in the what's this worth thread

he knows Mill

you can take his answer and valuation as being accurate

you may want to verify with him but it is possible that these weren't actually approved

I am wondering what is the best way/tool to measure disc's for identification. I know the basics of how to do it but I don't know if there is a reall good way of doing it or a measurement device that would make it easier.

I have a box full of old bar stamp innova with no initials that I need identified.

Any help would be great. Thanks!!!

^Do you have a thread or just pic in photo bucket. I also want to start to be able to do this on my own. Is there a special way you go about it. Thanks for the fast responce.

^^^ erock i have a bunch of profile pics of old discs that would make it easy...

I looked through your thread and I think it would be easier and more accurate to do measurements. At least for me. Thanks a lot and I will use that thread but do you have any measurements tequnices that work better than others for IDing disc's?

I looked through your thread and I think it would be easier and more accurate to do measurements. At least for me. Thanks a lot and I will use that thread but do you have any measurements tequnices that work better than others for IDing disc's?

i have them all together in my photobucket if that would help.....but as far as measuring goes....

micrometer.jpg

it gets very technical....some discs have almost the exact same measurements...so the profile is the easiest way...

Thanks again I need to get pics of all the discs sometime next week. I have like 70 of them and most are old tournament stamps or bar stamps without any initals on them. I am going camping this weekend but want to start my project on Monday.

I am sure I will be asking for your help. I really appreciate it by the way. I will take your word on the mesurments being hard it looks hard but I thought it would be a fun challange.

I have a problem I am so addicted to old plastic it is not even funny. I need help:)

Is there a way to tell the difference between a 9x and 10x KC Pro Teebird?

I have one that has the older bar style innova logo so it should be a 9 or 10x. It has a T above the nipple and the weight below the nipple, all inside the ring. The part of the stamp that says 9x or 10x is gone. I can't even see an imprint in the light

Anyone?

Thanks Moose. Would a pic help at all or would it strictly be looking for the writing?

Screw it, here's a pic just for the heck of it

DSC03913.jpg

DSC03914.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.