• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Illianasconsinigan members! (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, but it's completely destroyed and nearly unplayable. I went out there on my lunch break today. I think 6 is the only hole that hasn't been clear cut. The basket for 1 got taken out by one of the trees they took down as well.

That picture is nauseating. I knew it was coming, but it's still stings.

-
-

It looks even worse today than in those shots. You have to climb through a pile of downed trees to get to the first tee. There are orange plastic construction fences everywhere. Hole 2 looks a lot like the photo you posted of Hole 7.

I played ~95 of my first 100 rounds @ Oakbrook, so I'm pretty bummed.

Construction is construction. Sucks that the trees are getting cleared out, but you can't complain about course conditions during construction. There's nothing they can do about that (that's worth the time and money). Hopefully they can redesign the course in the future to make another fun 9, although with all the trees gone that will probably be tough. Maybe someone can push for landscaping work in the future to improve the holes.

Construction is construction. Sucks that the trees are getting cleared out, but you can't complain about course conditions during construction. There's nothing they can do about that (that's worth the time and money). Hopefully they can redesign the course in the future to make another fun 9, although with all the trees gone that will probably be tough. Maybe someone can push for landscaping work in the future to improve the holes.

They've cut so much that you really couldn't have a course there any more. I'm not so much complaining about the current conditions, just frustrated that so much was cut that making a good course out of what remains will be difficult if not impossible.

Like I said, you can always try to push for some landscaping work in the future. A few well placed trees/shrubs can do a lot. Park districts have huge budgets and planting trees always looks good. You can also use this as an opportunity to get a little more creative with new pin placements. Maybe make an island hole, elevated pins, or fun mando shots.

It looks even worse today than in those shots. You have to climb through a pile of downed trees to get to the first tee. There are orange plastic construction fences everywhere. Hole 2 looks a lot like the photo you posted of Hole 7.

I played ~95 of my first 100 rounds @ Oakbrook, so I'm pretty bummed.

Hole #2 looks like #7 now? Geez.

Hole #2 looks like #7 now? Geez.

The triangular area of woods that separated 1, 2, and 9 is completely gone. Only the trees between 2 and 3 remain.

I knew that this was coming, just not the extent of the clear cut.

Like I said, you can always try to push for some landscaping work in the future. A few well placed trees/shrubs can do a lot. Park districts have huge budgets and planting trees always looks good. You can also use this as an opportunity to get a little more creative with new pin placements. Maybe make an island hole, elevated pins, or fun mando shots.

I understand what you're saying but disc golf isn't #1 on their list (obviously) You can go online and view their budget plans for this year. As well as their 1-2-3-4-5- year plans.

There are hopes that the new course will not only exist on south side of the parking lot. This course will NEVER be the same; re-designing for 9 holes again will be a tight fit. Definitely doable...but tight.

I like your optimistic thinking :thmbup:

Hopefully the Kams will be involved and make it another awesome course.

As in Midwest Disc Golf????

9884409.jpg

I believe that they (Kams/MidwestDG) were the original designers (don't quote me though). But really, the course wouldn't be anything special without all the tight, wooded fairways. So much of the woods is now gone. You could have John Houck come in, but an open field is still an open field, regardless of course designer.:(

I believe that they (Kams/MidwestDG) were the original designers (don't quote me though). But really, the course wouldn't be anything special without all the tight, wooded fairways. So much of the woods is now gone. You could have John Houck come in, but an open field is still an open field, regardless of course designer.:(

I believe Bob Ryan was the original designer for Oak Brook. .. ..

Are you serious? They want to cram 15 holes in a very small space. I would have to guess the average hole length would be 225'. All par 3's and 2's with ace runs on just about every hole.

It makes me sad that they think that the more holes there are the better. Oak Brook should stay a 9 hole course and keep the integrity that it has had in the past if not better.

The Midwest Disc Golf has a reputation of designing courses that are geared towards the newer, less accurate player. Which is fine to a degree. However, when you design a course like that and have holes literally on top of holes (crossing/sharing fairways) it gets extremely dangerous. Midwest Disc Golf should know better than that and try to keep safety in mind as well. Nothing is worse than having to look over your shoulder while you are playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.