• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] "I'm not a Comet, not yet a Buzzz"

holoordi

(I did a search, native and Google, and didn't find a thread quite like this. Plenty of "X vs Y vs Z" threads, but no "between Comet and Buzzz". Please, correct me if I'm wrong.)

Comet is innocent and pure, somewhat touchy but very rewarding, neutral, glidey. Holds lines amazingly and feels mighty awkward in hand (very deep, large bead).
Buzzz is more driverish, faster, straight to a fault, has a comfortable grip and low profile.

I'm looking for something in-between. More comfortable grip and maybe not quite as touchy as a Comet, yet more of a finesse disc than a Buzzz. Something that starts out straight and beats to tasty understable.
I have a few candidates, but my knowledge of them is limited to forum lurking:
Buzzz SS
Mako3
Ibex
M4
Gauge
Tangent
Antidote
Lycan

Also maybe Alias, Core, Warship, or simply X Buzzz?

There are probably more that could fit the bill. I have tried QMS, and it flew great but the grip wasn't any better than Comet's. Availability is of no concern to me. What should I pick and why?

I bag a Z BuzzzSS for the slot inbetween a Z Buzzz and my ESP Comet. You can shape shots (holds hyzers and annys well) and can also be thrown dead straight. I've thrown a M4 (similar to BuzzzSS but less reliable/consistent) and standard Mako (also inconsistent).

Might want to look into the Meteor (ESP) as well. Very workable, on many lines and does not feel awkward in the hand.

My ABC Mission has fit in between my comet and buzzz. Might want to take a look at that.

Mako III . My wife has buzz SS, I have mako III . The profile of these two is very similar. Flight should be similar as well. I would say mako is very forgiving , has good distance potential , and can be thrown on hyzer or anny lines. By forgiving,I mean it doesn't get too crazy out of shape on less than perfect throws.

@spicybird6: Just a heads up the ESP Cyclone is now out of production. I'm sure you can still find plenty in stores, here and on ebay, but their future is no more.

ESP Meteor.. feels similar and likes to fly the same.. ie the comet likes to fly like a roc or a longer putter where the buzzz/meteor like to be thrown like a slower driver

Heavy Fuse. Opto if you have skills, GL if you throw like me.

Fuse is the first thing I thought of also.
In my experience......
Heavy OPTO has some fade, lighter OPTO (<174) and the other plastics hold whatever line you put them on.

@DiscinFiend: I'm no big gun, around 350ft golf distance. Are the Atlas and Mako3 hungry for power? How do they power down?

Yeah M4 has more of a Buzzz feel, profile, but it's a tad thicker....more blunted rim and a tad tad 'taller'? A Lycan is a GREAT approach disc (or mako) the Lycan is a tad more stable than a Mako...It's basically a straight flyer with a tiny bit of fade.

If you want a smooth straight-anny with a tiny fade....these are THE two discs to choose from (from my experience) M4 =lower profile, a tad faster, better chance of fade at the end tho. Lycan=Thicker, almost putter-like, lots of glide, straight-anny, tiny fade.

Fuse is the first thing I thought of also.
In my experience......
Heavy OPTO has some fade, lighter OPTO (<174) and the other plastics hold whatever line you put them on.

With a combo of different plastics and weights, you could cover a few slots with a fuse.

GL Fuse has the greatest glide I've ever seen on a midrange disc, and it's a laser beam on moderate power. Opto Fuse could be what you're looking for.