• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] "I'm not a Comet, not yet a Buzzz"

It looks like this topic has been well explored, but I'll throw my hat in the ring as well.

I'd recommend a nice ESP Meteor. I've got a nice light (166g) one that I pair with a max weight C-Buzzz for finesse and line-shaping shots. I could see myself picking up a max weight Z-Meteor if they were in production and just sticking with that combo.

The meteor feels the most natural of any disc I've held in my hand. The disc profile on discraft.com really does not give it justice.

It is perfect for shaping lines when thrown hard - just give it some height and it will consistently fade back, even in lightweight ESP. Perfect for hyzer flips and right-finishing annys too.

Finesse approaches from 150ft or so are real nice - just modify your grip so that it's less powerful (for me that means a 3 finger birdie grip) and let it rip out on a line.

Comet is innocent and pure, somewhat touchy but very rewarding, neutral, glidey. Holds lines amazingly and feels mighty awkward in hand (very deep, large bead).
Buzzz is more driverish, faster, straight to a fault, has a comfortable grip and low profile.

I'm looking for something in-between. More comfortable grip and maybe not quite as touchy as a Comet, yet more of a finesse disc than a Buzzz. Something that starts out straight and beats to tasty understable.
I have a few candidates, but my knowledge of them is limited to forum lurking:
Buzzz SS
Mako3
Ibex
M4
Gauge
Tangent
Antidote
Lycan

Also maybe Alias, Core, Warship, or simply X Buzzz?

There are probably more that could fit the bill. I have tried QMS, and it flew great but the grip wasn't any better than Comet's. Availability is of no concern to me. What should I pick and why?

The correct answer is try all these discs before making a final decision.:D Of course that can get expensive but its possible to buy a better game by finding discs that fit your hand and fit the lines you're trying to cover. I'd say you've identified several winners that are mainstays in many folk's bags. Too bad you don't like the beadless grip of the MS as they cover all my stable to understable lines. If I want a little fade, need more distance, or there's some wind, I'll throw my Z Buzzz.

Buzzz SS nice seasoned Buzzz flight but slightly different feel in hand that at the time wasn't worth it to learn another mold that wasn't widely available
Mako3 I haven't throw a Mako3 but other Makos covex wing feel was very different than my favored Z Buzzz. The Makos I've thrown were all straight fliers.
Ibex
M4 flew like a longer beat in Z Buzzz:thmbup:
Gauge
Tangent Flies similar shorter lines to my QMS but starts off a little more HSS stable. If I had time this could work but I'd hate to lose a seasoned to turnover one.
Antidote
Lycan I believe these are similar to Coyotes which I could recommed. In low winds hyzer fliped Coyotes go as far as Buzzzes and feel similar in hand;) I prefer the QMS since they glide a bit less than the Coyotes.

Also maybe Alias, Core, Warship, or simply X Buzzz? I thought Cores were fast but a touch nose angle sensitive and the Warship is close to a Buzzz in comparison. My very first purchase was an X Buzzz so I love them but they hold onto a touch of fade on turnovers where other discs will ride the turn to the ground

Good Luck!

@DiscinFiend: I'm no big gun, around 350ft golf distance. Are the Atlas and Mako3 hungry for power? How do they power down?

The Atlas requires a little more power than the Mako3 but either would work well for you. The Mako3 has a little more glide & has a straighter flight than the Atlas. The Mako3 is great for shaping lines & will hold any angle you put on it. Powered down the Mako3 will have less fade than the Atlas. At your driving distance the Atlas will have a very straight flight with little to no fade. The Mako3 will finish with a little more forward fade but again the fade on both discs is very minimal. The Mako3 is more nose angle sensitive than the Atlas. These are two very similar molds & will both be lasers thrown full power at your distance. I believe you said you wanted a disc that will beat in & be understable after awhile. The Mako3 is currently only made in Champion "Jolly Launcher" plastic (not including CFR), that means it will take a lot more wear than a Star disc before it becomes flippy. The Atlas comes in Champion & Star. Since you want a disc that will beat in understable over time I think your best option is to get a Star Atlas. The Champion Atlas is good but they tend to be more domey than the Stars & like the Champion Mako3 it will take more time to beat in. If you don't mind the injection/compass points on the Atlas then I would recommend getting a Star Atlas (The injection points aren't a big deal). The Star Atlas will beat in nice & understable at your power, It seems to fit your needs well.

Personally, I disagree. When I wanted a neutral, shapeable mid that I could be more consistent with than the Comet, the Tangent was it. Still great glide, but not the gobs and gobs of it that had me over-shooting long approaches with a Comet. It has a lower profile than the Comet, and is very comfy in the hand. If anything, my Tangents haven't beaten in as fast as I'd like them to - my neutron has more turn than when I got it 7 months ago, but not by much, and it's taken a good bit of work. The slightly bit more HSS the Tangent has over the Comet makes a huge difference in tight spaces with little room for error. I love that disc, and it's what I replaced my Comet with.

That is all fine and good if we were talking about just a Comet. We're talking about a mix between a Comet and a Buzzz. The Tangent I threw was a month old, and I couldn't keep the thing from turning like my Flying Squirrel. I've read on here of others sharing that same experience. It takes a long time for any Comet to get to that point. I also found that the Tangent preferred higher lines like a Comet over the lower lines of which a Buzzz is capable.

The Tangent I threw was a month old, and I couldn't keep the thing from turning like my Flying Squirrel.

This is not my experience, and may be why we're not understanding each other. My Tangent, after much use, is still not what I would consider an "understable" disc. It's been in my bag since it was released early last year.

Everyone's arm is different though. Maybe I throw with a little more hyzer than you. Maybe your Tangent was a hair more US than mine. Anything is possible. Look at all the suggestions in this thread. There are many great mids out there. I guess the OP just has to figure out "the one" for himself.

my mako III in champ plastic took a full summer before it started to turn over. my power has increased over the summer also, so that might a factor in it turning over. the nice thing is that it isnt flippy and doesnt turn and burn but slowly works to the right. it will hyzer flip for lazer straight and long throws also, super forgiving around 200-250 ft of power.

ESP Meteor.. feels similar and likes to fly the same.. ie the comet likes to fly like a roc or a longer putter where the buzzz/meteor like to be thrown like a slower driver

This, the Meteor feels almost identical to the Buzzz in the hand but is great for finesse shots and becomes understable or even starts that way. That's why you see people who use the Buzzz use Meteors for understable shots and Hornets for overstable, because they feel like you are holding the same disc.

Having held a Tangent, not even close.

Fuse is a decent option but I think the DD Fugitive fits even better. Especially if you don't mind that roc style of rim. I personally only really care for them in the base classic plastic because they start out dead straight with fade and beat in to a turnover disc nicely. Flat top and less than 13 bucks. If premium is more your style you can get them in fuzion, biofuzion, and lucid as well.

I think the M4 is the best disc right now from prodigy but throwing one new I don't really find them to be much different than a buzzz SS/meteor Very forgiving but nothing I would call a finesse mid that requires you to use good form like the comet and what you asked. The fugitive and fuse however are finesse mids and do require a good form throw for good results.

Z Glide. an old secret weapon thats fought its way back into the bag. a fairway driver that behaves like a mid.

That description doesn't make it sound all that desirable! Kind like a mid that behaves like a putter. So it kinda sucks huh?

That description doesn't make it sound all that desirable! Kind like a mid that behaves like a putter. So it kinda sucks huh?

No way! The Glide I think is one of discraft's most underrated discs and is their answer to the Leopard. I don't think it fits what the OP is asking for but the Glide doesn't suck. For beginners who can only find discraft locally it's the best starter driver option.

Mako3. For all the reasons already posted in hypos thread. Or dare to be different and pick up a max weight DX Shark.

The correct answer is try all these discs before making a final decision.:D

I know :D
My purpose was to narrow down a bit, but instead I've got a host of new ideas now. I guess it comes down to visiting the discs at a dealer and getting a bit touchy-feely. And good-heartedly adopting tw..thr.. a few.
*silently to my wallet* Sorry, old sport. There will be blood

Good Luck!
Thanks! Everyone has been extremely helpful.

Moral of the story, there are many options.
Indeed. However, I see this as a very positive problem. So many good mids to choose from, even into such a specific slot! These kinds of decisions are a part of the fun :)

The Icon Gauge has a great feel and slots between those two discs, and as people have said the mako3 is a winner

i like your attitude holoordi. Decisions are a big part of the fun and trying out new stuff. Let us know what ya try out. Also ya gotta give Finland's own Westside a try

Try the Westside Tursas in Tournament Plastic. Rim feels like a Buzzz. At first it is stable to slightly overstable. After a little work, you will have a flip machine. It's like the Fuse, but better.