• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Innova Katana

I'm still really digging my Champ Katanas. Overall it has more application than the Boss for me. I can crush it flat and get a wonderfully straight and long flight from it as long as there is no headwind. I feel more accurate with it than any other warp speed driver. Mine is not a flippy disc, just plain straight. When I get it up to speed from a flat release there is remarkably little fade and skip for such a fast flier.

discspeed said:
I'm still really digging my Champ Katanas. Overall it has more application than the Boss for me. I can crush it flat and get a wonderfully straight and long flight from it as long as there is no headwind. I feel more accurate with it than any other warp speed driver. Mine is not a flippy disc, just plain straight. When I get it up to speed from a flat release there is remarkably little fade and skip for such a fast flier.

Ditto.

thats weird! I only have 1 champ and 1 pro (both 175), but neither are straight. If I dont get on them enough they fade WAY out and if I hit them just right they do a nice S. The pro I have takes nearly 45 degrees of hyzer to keep it from turning and burning unless im going for a super high line. The champ has more stability to be sure, but is mostly just a bombing max D driver with little use on golf lines. A straight shot with a katana would be a lucky mix of extreme hyzer and powering down. The wraith and destroyer do the best max D golf lines for me with an overall straight flight (unless they are really beat). If I have to crush one high on a big max D hyzerflip line I used to turn to the OLS or RR, but the r-pro boss took that slot and the katana seems to be taking it away from the boss.

BTW I tried for like 20 throws to get the katana to flex sexy around a tree about 320' out and keep turning...bottom line is this disc is not at all good for me in shaping lines...it is too fast, too nose angle sensitive, and just plain squirrelly....but its the longest disc in my bag out in the open on a high turnover by about 40'.

Threw my champ more at a wide open temp course around here on Tuesday. It was getting great distance with 80%. On the couple of big holes that I didn't have to worry about water or OB this disc performed great. Any hole with OB though, I just don't feel like I can trust it yet.

Aaron_D said:
thats weird! I only have 1 champ and 1 pro (both 175), but neither are straight. If I dont get on them enough they fade WAY out and if I hit them just right they do a nice S. The pro I have takes nearly 45 degrees of hyzer to keep it from turning and burning unless im going for a super high line. The champ has more stability to be sure, but is mostly just a bombing max D driver with little use on golf lines. A straight shot with a katana would be a lucky mix of extreme hyzer and powering down. The wraith and destroyer do the best max D golf lines for me with an overall straight flight (unless they are really beat). If I have to crush one high on a big max D hyzerflip line I used to turn to the OLS or RR, but the r-pro boss took that slot and the katana seems to be taking it away from the boss.

BTW I tried for like 20 throws to get the katana to flex sexy around a tree about 320' out and keep turning...bottom line is this disc is not at all good for me in shaping lines...it is too fast, too nose angle sensitive, and just plain squirrelly....but its the longest disc in my bag out in the open on a high turnover by about 40'.

Is your Champ flat or domey? Mine's got a decent dome with a poppy top. If I throw it flat about 85% it does not turn, it just flies straight with a modest fade. This shot is going about 420' for me. Out in the open, exposed to wind, when I've thrown it harder it has gotten a bit squirrely, but that is where I switch to the Pro Boss. Barring freak perfect throws, my max when I get a little S action is about 450'.

What's interesting is that I have 2 yellow Katanas and they both feel similar. The one in my bag is like 174.5, and my other one is 175.5. The heavier one has seemed a little less stable, but I haven't thrown it quite enough to say that for sure. I can say its definitely not more stable.

Frank Delicious said:
oh and whoever Innova gets to design the worlds stamps needs to be fired. Both the 2008 and the new 2009 stamps suck.
Oh my... You've got to check this stamp out. :shock:

Hahahaha, I seriously thought that was a whoopie cushion at first.

https://www.discgolfvalues.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=347&PHPSESSID=616a7df3d7da1073b9dceb9e12dec0c2

some call me...tim? said:
Hahahaha, I seriously thought that was a whoopie cushion at first.

katana-worlds_400.jpg

That is HIDEOUS! My shit in the toilet has looked more artistic than that. WTF!!?? Acetone!

2nd run Lady'tana is here.
169 soft Champ vs my 172 Pro, dia is very close maybe 1/16" larger (or half the dia increase between Pro and friend's gummy Champ'tana), parting line at the nose is about 1mm higher, domes are rather equal with both shouldering up to the inner stamp ring on the Pro 1st or the outer part of the stamp ring on the 2nd, which is pretty much the same spot when you stack the translucent soft Champ onto the Pro.
Plastic is more Champ than gummy, feels sorta like recent Star.

And the stamp being gold foil at one light angle, and rainbow glitter that 'flips' color at other angles 8)

2nd run katans

Orange with gold and mixed color glitter stamp.

charteuese with crazy rainbow stamp