• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Innova Katana

Threw the crap out of a champ katana tonight. Love it, love it, love it. Out drove everyone with it.

Star Katana at 173 (marked 171) still got to work with it. Flippier than the champ by a good amount.

I looked at a lot of Startanas tonight. All of the 171-172's were orange, and had a massive dome. I bought a pretty flat 169g, and a moderate dome 175g. Hopefully these will see some action this weekend.

Frank Delicious said:
Threw the crap out of a champ katana tonight. Love it, love it, love it. Out drove everyone with it.

Is that the one you've had all along, or a new one? I too love my Champ Katana...so much I'm not going to bother with the other plastics. Champ is my default favorite in any disc unless the flight of another plastic is different/better enough to trump it.

discspeed said:
Frank Delicious said:

Is that the one you've had all along, or a new one? I too love my Champ Katana...so much I'm not going to bother with the other plastics. Champ is my default favorite in any disc unless the flight of another plastic is different/better enough to trump it.

It's the one I've had all along and I've really started clicking with it. I still don't feel confident throwing it on holes with OB because I still don't know if I'm going to throw it right but on wide open holes I can throw the crap out of this disc. I see this disc becoming a specialty disc that only get used on the big open courses.

Frank Delicious said:
discspeed said:
Frank Delicious said:

It's the one I've had all along and I've really started clicking with it. I still don't feel confident throwing it on holes with OB because I still don't know if I'm going to throw it right but on wide open holes I can throw the crap out of this disc. I see this disc becoming a specialty disc that only get used on the big open courses.

I agree that I wouldn't feel comfortable unloading on it in the open with OB on the right, but @ 80-85% I've been able to throw it into headwinds up to 15-20mph and it has not gotten crazy on me. This is good for 400ish holes that you need to hit a gap off the tee and fade at the end.

I only throw mine on wide open holes with no OB if I don't hit it perfect it tends to flip on me. I've been throwing a really domey poppy top Pro 175 since I got it. I have not thrown my Champ one that much. The Star one I have is Blue and flat. Didn't get to throw it yesterday. And well now there is 5 inches of snow on the ground so I won't be throwing it this week/end.

For my accurate straight drives I still use my good ole Teebird!

I played a tournament last weekend with the intention of throwing it one specific hole. I was a little worried because of the OB on the right. The hole is a medium right turn but guarding the front side of it is a deep cesspool. The fairway leading up to it is guarded on both sides for 100 feet with very tall, thick trees. You have to drive straight for that distance. It does then open on the right, leading over that pool of water. The left remains the solid line of trees until it curves around the back side of the basket. There is a strip of fairway about 30 feet wide that follows that line of trees, so we are not talking about an island hole. However, if you have any intention of hitting a deuce, you basically have to treat it as if it were an island, thus flying over the water for the final leg of its flight. If you have been to BRP, you should know this hole (Hole 18-20, depending on the layout).

With it being cold enough, there was a thin layer of ice strong enough to support the weight of a disc, so I was willing to be adventurous.

I believe the true distance in the air is about 350-360 feet, but considering you have to go straight before you take a pretty significant right turn, you have to make sure you have enough power and air to clear the water. I have only reached it in two other circumstances (plenty of times taking these lines). OATing something stable like a Destroyer hard enough to turn right but not hard enough to turn and dive into the water, or, taking something like the Monarch making sure I put enough to keep it in the air but again not enough to completely flip it over. On a good day, I can easily park this hole, on an okay day where I am worried and thus allowing it to affect my throw, usually I fade away from the hole just as it approaches "the island," but at least it is dry for a relatively easy three.

During my pre-tournament practice round, not only did the Katana fly exactly as I had hoped, but several times it blew by the basket on the backside, something I thought I would never do except during a fluke. Every time I came within a foot or two of flying by the basket. This hole ended up being the second hole we played during our real round, and feeling over-confident, I actually ditched the Katana short into the water (thank goodness it was frozen). So I am still learning at what power I need to throw it.

The thing I want to point out is that while I had intended on only throwing it on one or two holes during this sanctioned event, I felt I had enough confidence in throwing it that I ended up using it for 10 out of 29 opening drives. I had mixed results but all very promising that I feel it could possibly be my main driver in several circumstances. Even on a piss-poor release (my hands were really cold by the 29th hole, and it being the longest hole on the course, 770 feet), I still eked out 400 feet (they had every 50 feet measured from 200 to 450).

I have never been good at hyzer flipping, it is a skill I am desperately working on right now, but I ended up attempting several of those shots during this sanctioned tournament because I really like the Champ Katana's potential so much.

Jesse B 707 said:
I love my Pro and it bombs on avg 375-400 I love the glide on this disc.

a question on this distance
did you throw this far BEFORE the Katana?
if so with what
or has the Katana added 25, 50 feet to your drives?

i.e. for someone distance challenged like myself (325-330) is this disc going to instantly answer my distance needs? Or stick to what I have and use technique development to add the distance.

I am assuming that given my power level and given the massive wing on this disc it won't provide any instant answers and that thosew of you bombing up to 400 feet with this disc could do so already with a Wraith, Boss, Surge or some such.

The Katana isn't going to really add any consistent distance to your throw I wouldn't think. A pro wraith might though.

I second Frank on the Pro Wraith....once they beat in a bit they are $$. I love them. It is the most consistent Distance disc for me.

Anyone got a dark blue, smokey black, or bright ass green one they would be interested in trading or selling? I'd prefer a first run. I've got colors to trade too.

I didn't see any bright greens. Some bright yellow. And the typical deep Star plastic blue.

Hey, of you who throw 400+, what weight and plastic are you getting the best results with. I am going to pick up a couple more and was wonder what I should get?

go 172+ champ for best results. I don't normally like max weight but these are definitely best at or near max

A guy I played with today had a Star Katana with the farting lemon. It felt really good...it was max weight, stiff, and domey. However he did not throw it very hard and it still flipped up a little, so I don't think it was as stable as my champ. As for the above question, I throw a max weight champ. It only flips when I really get on it or into a headwind, but it cruises flat fairly easily. It basically flies like a seasoned champ Boss with less LSS.

The Star Katana I recently bought is pretty sick, it is competing with my Pro Boss currently.

The Pro Katana however flips right on me and eats poop every time.

Latest posts