• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Innova Katana

dgdave said:
The max weight red stars are some NIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCEEEEEEEE plastique
IMG00015-20091217-2015.jpg

Got one of those, and totally agree. I need it to warm up though; it's too cold to throw something that stiff.

Furthur said:
dgdave said:
The max weight red stars are some NIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCEEEEEEEE plastique
IMG00015-20091217-2015.jpg

That is how most of the red star plastic is coming out it seems. I went to the store the other day and fondled a bunch and almost every newer red star was the champy/star blend, also my new mako from dgc was the same.

Love this blend

so im barely jumping on the katana bus,as i just received my champ today. i cant wait to get out on the field and throw it to see what this disc is all about.

im back in innova-land and got to test a champ katana.

this disc is very easy to flex. i can see why it is claimed as a "sidewinder" type disc. this is quite possibly the easiest high speed driver to get a full flight out of without having "pro" level snap (not including r-pro discs). i can see why this might be an option for "lower" powered players. by "lower" powered i mean less than "pro" (ie xcal, boss, destroyer).

One things seems certain about the Katana...being a wide rimmed mold designed for understability, it seems very vulnerable to inconsistency based on small differences in the shape of the disc, even more so than its wide rimmed predecessors. I think the Nuke is destined to suffer from the same issues. Its still going to be a winner though, as will the Nuke when it comes to sales. Once again, older players with smooth form are going to be the greatest benefactors. This may close the gap a little between Open and Masters, especially on longer courses. That is the kind of thing that makes Dave D. proud.

Every review talks about the high speed stability, what's the low speed stability like? For this to make it into my bag it'd have to have minimal low speed fade. It would essentially replace my roadrunner (420-50+ turnovers that slowly drift over to the right and settle in, minimal fade back left - even when given some height).

ChrisWoj said:
Every review talks about the high speed stability, what's the low speed stability like? For this to make it into my bag it'd have to have minimal low speed fade. It would essentially replace my roadrunner (420-50+ turnovers that slowly drift over to the right and settle in, minimal fade back left - even when given some height).

The low speed stability is manageable, especially when compared to a Boss. Its still a really fast disc, and if it hits the ground while hyzer, especially if it has some speed left, there is going to be some flare. However, if you throw a flat shot that turns over and comes back, getting it's full flight and burning its speed in the air, their is hardly any fade/skip at then end.

I'm fairly certain it's not going to replace anyone's Roadrunner though. The Roadrunner is a unique disc with many flight characteristics very disparate from the Katana.

Damn, figured as much. Was really hoping - having something that could do what a roadrunner can but with less effort would be really nice.

I played my first full round with the Startana in my bag tonight at glow. I used a 175 red Chamy-Star, and was very happy with it's performance. I had 2 great distance shots with it. It's flight pattern is exactly what I'm looking for in a distance disc. I really like how the disc flew straight after it turned out of it's anhyzer angle and flew straight for a while before fading.

I also used it on a get out of trouble anhyzer where I had to throw it over some trees around 350'. I ended up throwing it with too much anhyzer, and got it on the ground at 250' with a lot of power. I think I'll be experimenting with these for sky rollers as well.

so i got my champ blem in from dgv the other day. it has a slight dome thats not big at all,171. i got some throws in it today side by side with my poppy top pro destroyer,gold line and opto line halo's. i gotta say the tana was avg about 25'+ further than the rest. on one good toss i got an easy 50' further than my go to pro destroyer. i love this thing so far, im just hoping the production runs are the same.when thrown flat it tracked right a lil bit then started to finish left. its definitely going in the bag for a while :mrgreen:

Local pro shop had Nukes and Katanas (farting Star lemons variety) for sale for $20. My brother picked up the last Katana...I'm looking forward to seeing how it flies.

So I got a few throws in with a Champion Katana (175g) yesterday, versus a First Run Star Destoyer and my Champion Valkyrie (which always amazes me on how far it can get out there).

I took about 20 throws with the Katana going for max D trying both hyzer flip lines and anhyzer flex lines. Conditions were calm and I was throwing off of grass. My initial thoughts were that in the hand it feels just like a Boss - which I didn't like because for me the big rim is uncomfortable. Of the 20 throws that I took I hit about 3 just right and they went a country mile...out around 520'. The other 17 were all over the place. Some didn't flip, some flipped and rolled, some went around 400' and some went 300'. So...my impressions were that this disc is very inconsistent. My furthest throw with the disc was probably only 10' off the ground the entire way...a lazer thrown on an anhyzer line. I must say though, that the successful throws made me wonder if I should keep this disc around and practice with it to increase consistency. Also, something that should be noted is that my form and timing is probably crap right now because it's winter and I don't get out to play very much this time of the year. That being said, sometimes I throw my furthest, most consistent and most accurate after I've taken some time off...so read into that what you will.

My First Run Destroyer was out at 500' and the "misses" were less detrimental. Also, the lines were more consistent and easier to hit. The Katana still required that little extra effort that the Boss requires to hit that line just right (keep in mind I'm throwing in CO...so the Katana's a little more overstable for me than it is for those of you in Nebraska). So the Destroyer's distance was a little less but there was more consistency and accuracy...which I value more than that extra 20' of distance. Also, the Katana needed a little more space to hit it's max D line than the First Run Destroyer.

On a side note...my Champ Valkyrie was getting out around 480' way more consistently than both the Katana & First Run Destroyer...gotta throw that disc more. And, it was way more conisistently on the line I intended it to be on.

Bottom line is that this disc has tremendous distance potential...but I don't think that extra D is going to be worth compromising consistency and accuracy. For now, I'll stick with the First Run Star Destroyer. I also don't like that I'm hearing that the star Katana's are coming out domey...I don't like domey Destroyers either.

so I got a round in yesterday with my 171 champ tana. I gotta say I normally finish this course @ around par or -1. yesterday I smashed my personal best @ -6.theres about 4 holes I normally come up short about 50' or so.i parked all of them 3' by the pin on all 4 holes. easiest game I've had by far. this thing added a good 30'+ to my drives and sometimes 50'+. just ask disc junkie,ive been praising this thing since I got it! I just hope the production runs are the same.

Threw a 169 Star Farting-Lemon Katana in a field today, along with my new 175 Champ Orc. For reference, I was flexing out 350' throws with my Orc, which is also brand new and barely broken-in (about 1/2 dozen high speed impacts).

The brand new Star Katana was way way way more stable than I expected at low speeds. It is definitely a high speed driver, and only begins to behave well at the greatest power I can muster. For similar throws that were performing well with the Orc, the Star Katana was coming out of its turn about 50' earlier. I had a hard time getting real distance out of it, even when trying to flex it with exaggerated nose down it was being a pig. The rim depth seems somewhat thin, almost like a Flick, and at low speeds it flies similarly to a Flick as well. The disc seems less flimsy than a Flick, but I would not gamble on the Pro plastic Katana being able to stand up to large impacts without becoming too beat up.

This Star Katana has a rendez-vous with thousands of trees and rocks, and afterwards it might turn into a decent turn-over sky driver. Until then, it isn't all that useful.

Ive been throwin a 170 champ katana. Also for the past 1.5 years, ive been throwing a first run star destroyer. It is now thoroughlly beat and flies just perfect. I would say the katana has a tick less LSS, but otherwise they are very similar. I will keep the destroyer because the wider rim of the katana doesnt feel great. If I ever lose the destroyer, I think the katana could take its place.

In the interest of minimalism and simplicity I tried taking the Champ Katana out of my bag and throwing the Pro Boss exclusively for a couple rounds. Quite simply, the Pro Boss does not do what the Katana does, and overall my Champ Katanas are more useful. My Pro Bosses are good for ripping in the wide open, but they take a lot of room to work and are quite squirrely, especially when trying to line shape at all. If I can't just rip them and let them use all the room they need, then they just don't work very well. While the PB is faster and possessing more distance potential, my Katanas are much more accurate. The Pro Boss is a little harder to get to turn, but once it does turn it does not come back very dependably. My Katana is much easier to get a little S turn out of, and it does it more reliably. It also does not finish as hard as a Pro Boss. I guess I'll just have to be careful with the two that I have until they are released in Champ as mainstream.

The Champ Katana is easily my favorite speed 13 driver for most distance lines.

discspeed said:
In the interest of minimalism and simplicity I tried taking the Champ Katana out of my bag and throwing the Pro Boss exclusively for a couple rounds. Quite simply, the Pro Boss does not do what the Katana does, and overall my Champ Katanas are more useful. My Pro Bosses are good for ripping in the wide open, but they take a lot of room to work and are quite squirrely, especially when trying to line shape at all. If I can't just rip them and let them use all the room they need, then they just don't work very well. While the PB is faster and possessing more distance potential, my Katanas are much more accurate. The Pro Boss is a little harder to get to turn, but once it does turn it does not come back very dependably. My Katana is much easier to get a little S turn out of, and it does it more reliably. It also does not finish as hard as a Pro Boss. I guess I'll just have to be careful with the two that I have until they are released in Champ as mainstream.

The Champ Katana is easily my favorite speed 13 driver for most distance lines.
i did the same a while back and came to the same conclusion.....except im only rocking the Protanas

Pat - I agree...when/if I ever burn through the 5 back-up & new First Run Star Destroyers I have - the Katana will be the disc I'm throwing. Then again, we'll see what new fandangled new disc is out by then...

Latest posts