• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Innova Katana

I felt some 2nd run Champ Katanas yesterday and they were flat as can be. The owner of the store said they were very flippy. That's not at all like my champs, so I guess this will be a disc that I will not want to buy online. My champ Katana has seen some really hard hits on trees, etc, and still flies stable like it was brand new. This is why I like Champ for warp speed drivers...Star breaks in much faster with these discs.

I just got my white Star Katana today. It is a 170g and is so flat it's rediculous; almost concave. I can't wait to see how it flies!

I have a domey 1st run champ and a flatter but not f-l-a-t 2nd run champ that is pretty gummy. They fly similarly, but the gummy 2nd run is a little less stable. My super domey pro is flippy like a stingray.

I currently throw Gazelles and get them out to around 300 - 315 Feet. The website says that this is a disc that will give you easier distance. But what type of power due you need to get it up to cruising speed. I have been staying away from discs like these. To be honest its mainly becouse I cant throw them as far. Example of discs that have had the same or less distance than the gazelle for me have been Beast Valk Monarch Avenger SS Groove. So before I spend more money on discs. Due you think my problem is more of a form issue and not the disc.

If a Valk, beast and other fast drivers do not get you more Distance than your Gazelle, then the Katana is not for you. At speed 13 you still have to get it going for it to fly like it is supposed to and for you to get and big D out of it.

peppermack said:
If a Valk, beast and other fast drivers do not get you more Distance than your Gazelle, then the Katana is not for you. At speed 13 you still have to get it going for it to fly like it is supposed to and for you to get and big D out of it.

Thank you. I think I will stick with the if the wheel aint broke dont fix it line of thought. Since discing down to the Gazelle my drives have gone from about 250-260 to 300-315.

I busted out my backup champ Katana for some field testing today. Its 1.5 grams heavier than the one that's been in my bag for the past month (175.5 vs. 174) and just as domey. For whatever reason my backup is unmistakably a 1/2 step flippier than my original. Where my original's HSS is about a -.5, this other one is a -1. It was really nice in a lot of cases, as it overlaps with my pro Boss much less. I was bombing it on high lines basically flat and letting it flip for huge D. I'm going to be putting it in the bag with my other one because it is different enough to have some definite applications. It doesn't work at all in a headwind though, where my other Katana can handle a little without issue.

God Damn. I ordered a champ from hero and then got an email that they were out of stock so I got over to DGV to find out I would have to pay the same price at DGV for a blem as what I was paying for a good one at hero. There was also one left so I hope I don't get a shitty color like clear.

Are katana's all 25$ each? Why does everyone want them if they're 25$? Why not just end the hype and wait until they're 14-15? Do I not below in disc golf for having this opinion? haha everyone and their moms seem to have a katana(s).

tigel said:
Are katana's all 25$ each? Why does everyone want them if they're 25$? Why not just end the hype and wait until they're 14-15? Do I not below in disc golf for having this opinion? haha everyone and their moms seem to have a katana(s).

Most of us are older and have more disposable income, and less impulse control. :lol: I'll usually pay 20-25$ for a high quality disc that is durable.

discspeed said:
tigel said:

Most of us are older and have more disposable income, and less impulse control. :lol: I'll usually pay 20-25$ for a high quality disc that is durable.

Yeah that's it right there, although I can't bring myself to drop $20+ on a disc to throw it :p

mattw said:
peppermack said:

Thank you. I think I will stick with the if the wheel aint broke dont fix it line of thought. Since discing down to the Gazelle my drives have gone from about 250-260 to 300-315.

I wouldn't think about a disc that speed until you can throw 350' on demand and are getting in the 375'+ area. Then it'll start paying off for you. The 350' is your baseline. That's when your form isn't terrible. Sadly, until you get there, you know that something is messed up with your form :( I flutter between "good" and "messed up".

black udder said:
Yeah that's it right there, although I can't bring myself to drop $20+ on a disc to throw it :p

Funny because I have a hard time spending $20+ on a disc that I'm not going to throw!

I try to not buy the expensive shit, but this disc sounds like it will do wonders for me and what I have been waiting for a long time. Also, spending $20 dollars on a disc is depending where you buy from $5 to 0$ different for your typical star prices.

black udder said:
discspeed said:
tigel said:

That's chump change. I do it all the time. Lets talk $100 on a disc and now you've got a case for not to throw it.

But remember:

All discs were meant to fly.

rusch_bag said:
God Damn. I ordered a champ from hero and then got an email that they were out of stock so I got over to DGV to find out I would have to pay the same price at DGV for a blem as what I was paying for a good one at hero. There was also one left so I hope I don't get a shitty color like clear.

Just do a full dip in some rit if that's the case.

The max weight red stars are some NIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCEEEEEEEE plastique
IMG00015-20091217-2015.jpg

Latest posts