• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Innova Katana

I picked up two pro, one to throw and one to hang on to for the wall. I RARELY pick up discs because they look cool but I mean... comon these things are sweet.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited to try this disc out, and bought two so I could throw one and hang the other. I guess I should of said there is a lot of excitement for this disc, instead of hype.

At least for me their website is still down and I am not in a position to call. I guess I missed out on the hype. I do have the auctions on Ebay on my watch list, but 30 dollars already seems a little high for a disc that may or may not be flippy with my snap.

Oh well, hopefully they will be in full production run before next year's tournament circuit begins.

Scott

Just check the trade section in here in about two weeks. There will be plenty to choose from.

on the list of how many made i got 1 of 2 on the pro .. but on the champ i bought transitional plenty of those

I hope they mix it up, I dont want to get 4 similar tranisitionals... Wish I'd bought 5 now...

numbers have to be bogus.. on 170-172 it doesnt show yellow or lime... but hero has those colors for sale

JR said:
Fizzy said:
I ordered two pro Katana's, one at 165 and one at 172 or so.

I have a really beat 166 FLX Surge that I use for big turn-over shots i.e. shots that start out hyzer and then hold that for a long time before turning over and going right. I'd be sad if I lost this disc and I'm not sure what to replace it with. I could get another Surge, but it would take me a while to beat the thing up. I'm looking for a disc I can throw flat/slightly hyzer and put a lot of air under and still get it to go right (in the 390'+ range.) I tried the Groove for this and it failed miserably. Sure I can throw it anhyzer and it will hold it to the ground, but I would need to really beat the living shit out of it before I could get late turnovers out of it. Maybe I just got a stable one. It's more stable than my 170 champ Boss! It doesn't work as well at low speeds as the surge (and good low speed behavior is the hallmark of an awesome turnover disc.)

Think the Katana will work for this purpose? Have any suggestions as to what might? I already have a lot of beat DX Teebirds that are great for turnovers in the 350'+ range for me. I'm looking for something significantly longer that I don't need to wait forever to season. Any ideas?

It depends on your available power and cleanliness of form. Possible candidates are at least less than max weight Valks, Beasts, MOLSs, Wraiths, Destroyers or heavy Roadrunners or Spectras (worked for me but still gave it away), possibly 150 or less R-Pro Bosses. My 145 Boss is still good at flexing. Too good now that it's new for max D but that'll change fast :)

As someone who's told by other Comet throwers to be an oddball for using full power with Kite it should be obvious that I'm at ease or actually thrive using fast fast fast with cleanliness simultaneously. As such I'm extremely keen on getting my hands on super light less than Boss fading discs so it is no surprise that I'm not planning to get just Pro Katanas but the R-Pros that I hate as a plastic for normal usage as well. But what can a less than big arm player do other than keep working out?

Well, my shots pretty much max out at 400' with the Boss or Surge I mentioned above. But my form is definitely clean. I throw with a lot more spin than forward velocity because I started out training to throw far by throwing putters. When I was really into it I could throw an Aviar about 320' or 330', but now they probably go more like 300' for me. At any rate, I like to throw understable plastic on hyzer lines. In fact, sometimes I have a problem with throwing turnover shots because I overspin the disc and it kills all the turn. I'm really not exaggerating. I've seen other people who throw as far as I do try out some of my beat Buzzzs or distance discs and barely avoid throwing rollers. I wish I could learn to throw with more forward velocity and less spin because I'm sure I could throw farther.

I've definitely had some success with a 155 R-Pro boss. But it still needs a little wear before I can expect it to turn-over and hold it to the ground. If the Katana doesn't do it for me, I'll just destroy myself another Surge. It's really remarkable how good the Surge's low speed behavior is considering it's so fast.

Hey there everyone, new to the site here. Figured I would say hello. Seems like a cool bunch so I figured I would sign up and see if maybe you guys had more information than I do on the new Katana disc. It mainly just has to do with the colors of all the discs. My question is, did anyone else know of/order a chartreuse color Katana? I looked on the release #'s site before I ordered it and noticed it wasn't even listed. I bought it specifically as chartreuse so I'm not quite sure, figured I would ask. The disc was the 170 class champion...

Looking forward to being around here more.

Take care

Edu

It is a sexy word isn't it, that's mainly why I ended up switching from red to that. Yellow was still available as well as lime...so I'm guessing maybe it's green, not sure though. Pretty excited though, to say the least. Picked up the chartreuse for my wall or some other nice spot, got a blem to toss.

I actually talked to the lady and she told me that she had some people come through before everyone else got a chance to purchase anything. To make a long story short, they didn't write down what they took on the inventory, hence the "We cannot guarantee weight or color..." message you get right after you made the purchase.

Hopefully everything works out and we get the discs that we all ordered.

Cheers.

I'd guess that chartreuse equals lime in this case. After all, chartreuse is between yellow and green as is lime. By the way, chartreuse is the most visible color to human eye.

According to the website they still have lime left for sale, not sure why they would list it twice...but I guess we'll see. The weather has been so crappy lately I'm just hoping for a few good chances to even throw the disc. lol

I thought this was amusing:
Hi Dave,

What are the expected range of weights for the Katana? Any chance that they will make it down into the 150's in any plastic?

Thanks,
Dave Dunipace said:
The R-Pro are in the 150's. They're sort of squirelly if you can throw over 350, but if you throw in the 250-350, you are fine.

So... this is the disc we should be throwing if we throw 250-350'?

marmoset said:
I thought this was amusing:
Hi Dave,

What are the expected range of weights for the Katana? Any chance that they will make it down into the 150's in any plastic?

Thanks,
Dave Dunipace said:
The R-Pro are in the 150's. They're sort of squirelly if you can throw over 350, but if you throw in the 250-350, you are fine.

So... this is the disc we should be throwing if we throw 250-350'?

bwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahah

boy, innova sure makes themselves look foolish sometimes.

Latest posts