• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Stud: New PnA

So how are these guys working in to shape? About to make an order, need some social proof that I am spending wisely :)

So how are these guys working in to shape? About to make an order, need some social proof that I am spending wisely :)

I'm throwing Star Studs and Colts, and they're doing the same as they did fresh out of the box: Star Colt very straight, Star Stud a bit of fade at the end.

anybody got dx working in?

Working on it. I bought two DX to test then bought three more the next day. With one of the testers I've played 3 one-disc rounds on wooded courses plus backyard field practice. The most used disc is just beginning to lose some fade. I fully expect it to beat in to straight then to a turn-over disc.

I like these things. The seem to start as little rancho rocs then season in a similar fashion. Note that I've only been throwing them for a week but have thrown them a lot during that time.

Specific questions?

I have a couple rounds on my dx studs and I have come to the conclusion I do not like driving with them. I do, however, like putting with them, so they are now my main putter.

For me the Stud is not nearly as OS as reported. They are less stable than the XT proto Colts. The dome and thicker flight plates make them more glidey and less stable. But this is perfect for putting.

I'm looking forward to more Star Studs coming out. The one I have is awesome, and another one as a backup or two-disc rotation over time would be great.

I'm looking forward to more Star Studs coming out. The one I have is awesome, and another one as a backup or two-disc rotation over time would be great.

I really want gstar and am hoping they come out flat(er).

Here are some pics.

The first one is a stack of Proto Colts and Studs, all in DX of course :thmbup:. Can you tell which is which?

The next photos show the PLH and then the slight dome between the two. Proto Colt is left, Stud is right in these pics.

SD, I did look and compare the "shoulder" between the two and there is a touch more height on the Stud as you noted. I feel that slight/very slight rise is pretty much not delectable in the hand/feel between the two.

Now, I just have to wait until Sunday to test the Stud. BTW, it is gonna be in the 70's here that afternoon :D!

Here is a little bump with the answer to the order of the Stud/Proto Colt stack since nobody cared to guess the order :p.

Top to Bottom:

Colt, Stud, Colt, Colt, Stud

So now I can take the post-it note reminder off my laptop so I could remember the order myself :eek:.

Studs are my forever putter, my round plastic soulmate.

I cannot express how much I love the Stud for putting. It has just the right dome and weighting to fly right, and just the right low profile to feel great. It has actual glide in a low pro putter, and won't stall out like the colts do.

Right now the only issue I have is that it fades a bit, and I like 0 fade on putts. But I can already tell these will be perfect once the bead starts to shrink and the shoulder gets a bit compressed.

Studs are my forever putter, my round plastic soulmate.

I cannot express how much I love the Stud for putting. It has just the right dome and weighting to fly right, and just the right low profile to feel great. It has actual glide in a low pro putter, and won't stall out like the colts do.

Right now the only issue I have is that it fades a bit, and I like 0 fade on putts. But I can already tell these will be perfect once the bead starts to shrink and the shoulder gets a bit compressed.

You won't be putting with the stud in three months :gross:

...Right now the only issue I have is that it fades a bit, and I like 0 fade on putts. But I can already tell these will be perfect once the bead starts to shrink and the shoulder gets a bit compressed.

DX, correct?

Just use them, they beat in fairly quickly. I have two that have seen hard use as throwers over the last 2 weeks on NC woods and AZ open courses. They've become stable straight flyers like a beat in Roc.

I, too, enjoyed putting with them when I took a minimal disc selection - Stud, Roc, Teebird, Valkyrie - on a recent AZ trip. Not quite enough to completely kick out the Wizards but they connected on enough out-of-the-circle putts to make me consider them as a long putter.

Bump.

Does anyone with 'inside" knowledge know if Innova is going to release another run of Star Studs any time soon? TIA.

So I'm looking to possibly get a colt and checked this thread to ask some questions. How does this compare to the Colt as a drive putter/approach? At max I would see myself going with three putters, so does this work as a variant to colt for wind? For example, use colt on good days, stud on wind days, and something else for close putts. So does that work?

So I'm looking to possibly get a colt and checked this thread to ask some questions. How does this compare to the Colt as a drive putter/approach? At max I would see myself going with three putters, so does this work as a variant to colt for wind? For example, use colt on good days, stud on wind days, and something else for close putts. So does that work?

That's what I've been doing. Warden for putting at the chains, Colt for approaches, Stud when I want/need more hyzer or into the wind.

Having said that, my first-run Star Stud is not all that overstable unless i really power down on it. I'm hoping for another run of Star Studs soon, so I can get another one and rotate it with the present one...

That's what I've been doing. Warden for putting at the chains, Colt for approaches, Stud when I want/need more hyzer or into the wind.

Having said that, my first-run Star Stud is not all that overstable unless i really power down on it. I'm hoping for another run of Star Studs soon, so I can get another one and rotate it with the present one...

Thanks. This is a bit off topic, but r do you know what some good innova putters are for close up? Like when you wouldn't approach

Thanks. This is a bit off topic, but r do you know what some good innova putters are for close up? Like when you wouldn't approach

If by this you mean in-the-circle putting, Innova has the Aviar and variations of it. The Aviar P&A (putt and approach) is their staple, and comes in a variety of plastics. This disc is not beaded, and is the foundation of the McPro Aviar and the Nova.

Then there is the "big bead" Aviar, which is the foundation of the Aviar Driver, and I believe is used for the KC Pro Aviars. Yeti Aviars are a bit softer than the very firm KC Pro, and JK Pro is even softer.

One idea: go to the Infinite Discs website and click on the Innova tab... it'll list all the putters (and their other discs) with pictures, and you can see what they have there in a good, easily visible format.

Same here. At first I thought I was going to really love the stud but I have been finding myself going back to my start colt more and more (over my proto star stud). It makes no sense to me but it seems that although my stud definitely has more fade, my star colt seems to hold a hyzer much better than my stud. Thrown pretty hard on a mild hyzer my colt typically holds that line (perhaps flips up a touch, but not to flat) where the stud thrown the same flips up to flat quickly, rides straight, then fades harder. Not that it isn't a useful shot, but I'd much rather my disc hold the line.

It may be something with my grip (my stud is really domey and it drives me nuts) or the fact that the lack of glide has me subconciously throwing harder with the stud but the bottom line is when I'm on the course I find myself pulling the colt out of the bag much more than the stud. I really didn't think that would be the case as I generally prefer my approach putters more stable.

Side note - as my stud is sitting on the bench I've wondered what would happen if I flattened it a bit since I can't stand the dome. I know it varies greatly by mold, but any guesses if flat will make it more or less stable?