• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Vs. Discraft

I don't have anything agaisn't Discraft, I was just pointing out something that might be confusing for someone transitioning into disc golf or "coming over" from Innova.

You have to throw what you like and what feels comfortable for you, no matter the company.

my $.02

I play with whatever feels right...and for me that primarily means Innova. I came up playing in Austin and it seemed that everyone I was learning from already had an Innova bias, and I followed suit. These days I still prefer Innova off the Tee for distance and accuracy, nothing touches the Boss...and in the winds of North Texas the Destroyer and XCaliber kick ass. Old faithful for me will always be the Orc...hands down the most bang for the buck as far as distance, versatility, playability, plastic options, and control. Gotta love the Orc.

Recently I have been trying out different options with Midrange and Putt/Approach discs. Went back to an OG Viper I hadn't used in years, love the pro pig, and I wouldn't play (or at least wouldn't play happily) without my Buzzz...greatest midrange hands down. I really want to love a Roc, but until Innova wants to stock my bag I will have a Buzzz. Lately added a Wasp to the mix...not sure why really. But these are the only two Discraft discs that I would putt in the bag, the rest of their line that I have ever tried has been poop. The WORST disc I have ever bought, held, or thrown is hands down the Discraft Drone...that thing was a disc shaped sh*tbrick....horrible. But that tirade aside, Putters...can't go wrong with an Aviar, personally prefer DX plastic for this disc, but I have seen alot of star aviars out there. Give me some winds and I'll defer to my champion rhino, sturdy is the best word for it. It's like a beefy version of stable. But all-around best putter right now for me is hands down my Gateway Wizard in S series (premium DX...) plastic. The wizard is the single greatest disc I have ever bagged for an upshot, so reliable and with such a predicatable flight path. Get one.

But yeah, I bought a Quarter K back when they first came out. I have lightning discs, milleniums, gateway, discwing, whamm-o (my mom can be thanked for these goofy ass discs, christmas present), if it sounds interesting and reviews well I'll probably try one out...but overall Innova is where my bias lies.

I admit i didnt know who those peoples names were when i first bought a t-bird or a vallkrie or a beast but the fact that they one that many championships and they use those means that company must be doing something right. if you buy a b-ball with jordans name on it its not like he uses it in a game, the name on innovas disc mean nothing to me the only disc i throw with a name on it is the t-bird and i didnt buy it because it said 12x champion but when i threw it i figured out why it did. do they sell deuce bigellos at academy?

Loving all the Buzzz users - i personally prefer the X but i have Z, & FLX as they are all great. Being a mostly FH driver i have a DC Flick as well as some Innova XCals. My BH is coming along but i cant say any Innova or DC molds are better or more consistent they all seem fairly interchangeable. Orc/SURGE/FLASH/Rogue (DGA but made by DC) - all fly similar. the only way these will fly further is when my technique improves. Off the tee I use what works best for me now and those happen to be high speed overstable discs.

I will say that i know for certain that the FLX/ESP plastics are virtually indestructible so their flight shouldnt change a whole lot after a lot of use. WHich is definitely good if u want consistency. I really wish i had an Xcal in FLX plastic. I'm always afraid that after minimal wear and tear the Star ones i have will become too understable.

I still think lots of players new and old still look for that "magic disc" so they buy according to flight ratings & assume those ratings will transcend onto the course. "this is it, this is the one i need" instead of working on their game.

Innova probably markets better. But both companies basically offer 85% of the same discs. So being staunchly opposed to one over the other is sort of ridiculous.

I really think it depends on the person and what fits them the best. I played a round today with a guy who absolutely loved his new Innova Kite. It worked great for him, but I know it would just turn into a roller for me if I tried to use it. Innova has far more models to choose from, I admit, which means that if you have Innova discs already, its easier, thanks to their helpful rating guide on their website, to grab another Innova disc that does XYZ more or less than your current discs. I think Innova is "winning" the hi-tech long-range driver war right now, with a barrage of new discs at higher and higher speeds, discraft has instead been coming out with new midranges, and SS versions of its discs for people who throw less than 450 ft. At the same time, Innova doesnt have an answer to FLX or cryZtal plastic. Discraft also doesnt seem to change their molds over time, unlike innova, so you have a better idea of what you are getting.

By bag is about 40% Discraft and 60% Innova. It used to be all Innova and that has gradually changed. I can see it eventually becoming all Discraft. I usually will give a new disc a try and then keep it in my bag as long as I continue to like it...replacing one that I don't use much any more. That is how the Innova has gradually been replaced. I don't think that one is necessarily better than the other...it all depends on what works for you. If I had to pick one or the other to use exclusively, though, I'd choose Discraft because I really like the ESP plastic. If you don't use Discraft much, I recommend getting at least one of the following to give a try: Force, Flick, Predator, or an Avenger SS.
I still can't imagine going out without having a destroyer, valkyrie, beast, and teebird from Innova with me.

Last edited:
I mainly have Innova because their everywhere...... I recently got a flash online and really like it but it is tough for me not to use my beast (fav disc).... I noticed my putters are all millenium.... which proves if it's plastic I'll throw it.

my loyalty is to my score not any disc company.

Well said.

I love innova's long range drivers (destroyer, boss) and can't see myself ever throwing anything else. Also, I don't know of any disc that is as good as a beat-in dx roc. I love FLX plastic (have a drone) and would probably investigate more Discraft if they put out more discs in this plastic.

One of the coolest things I've seen is at the IDGC in Appling, GA. At the pro shop they have a box of 30 or so discs you can take out back and throw around to test them out. I really liked the FLX meteor when I threw it and would probably buy one if I hadn't spent all my $$ on star bosses :eek:

Newcomers will always tend to buy "classic discs" or old standbyes that they hear or read good things about. I cant' rattle all of the discs off but i'd say Innova definitely has a significant edge in Discs considered to be classic. People will go out and buy a Teebird over something like a Discraft Wildcat or a Gateway assassin since they hear a lot more about Teebirds than the other two. In time more DC molds will probably become "Classics". Right now the Buzzz is giving the Roc a run for it's money in the midrange dept.- even though the Wasp is more like a Roc.

Also, The new Nebula (2008 Ace Race disc), is a fantastic midrange as well, different than anything I've found that Innova has put out. Banger GT as well.

you should check out the pulse if you like the wraith. super fast and stable into the wind.

you should check out the pulse if you like the wraith. super fast and stable into the wind.

i wouldn't say the wraith is very good to throw INTO the wind...LOL

i would def avoid throwing it into any kind of headwind, unless you are WANTING it to go way right (RHBH)

Innova does fly better......

I do agree with one of the previous posts saying that the innova molds don't seem as consistent. I recently had to replace my roc and the new one I got doesn't feel or fly a bit like my "old faithfull" one did even though it's the same weight. That being said, Innova is the only disc I carry. I have thrown many disccrafts and found that they just don't suit me as well. It all comes down to personal preference. I've found that if you start with one brand you tend to stick with it.

DID I SAY THE WRAITH WAS GREAT HEADWIND DRIVER? i simply suggested the pulse because of its very similar rim size and its speed. also note that the wraith is a great disc to throw if you don't throw it flat, its called a hyzer release and this will snap the disc flight into a very overstable flight pattern helping it fight through the wind. not that i am an expert but i do play in one of the windiest courses in the US in Berkeley's aquatic park.

Last edited:
About the Wraith
INNOVA's newest addition to the Distance Driver line. It is our longest and fastest Distance Driver to date. It is a stable flyer that performs predictably well in the wind with speed, glide and accuracy. This is our most durable Distance Driver in Pro plastic. This disc performs remarkably well when thrown at less than full speed as well as at full speed. The Pro Wraith is an excellent side arm disc. It is available in weights from 170 to 175 grams. Endorsed by 12-time World Champion, Ken Climo.

A long, skinny 9 holes out and 9 in. Water hazards (lake, ponds, streams) make it a 'Pebble Beach' course. Multiple tees and a practice basket. Great views of San Francisco. Winds off bay can be treacherous.

I do agree with one of the previous posts saying that the innova molds don't seem as consistent. I recently had to replace my roc and the new one I got doesn't feel or fly a bit like my "old faithfull" one did even though it's the same weight.

This is probably not because the mold is inconsistent. This is probably due to disc wear which means that a disc that has been thrown a lot (especially a DX roc) will fly differently than a brand new one. This, in my opinion, is a good feature of the roc.

There are also several different molds of roc (which is not one inconsistent mold) so make sure you bought the same one (rancho, san marino, ontario).

DID I SAY THE WRAITH WAS GREAT HEADWIND DRIVER? i simply suggested the pulse because of its very similar rim size and its speed. also note that the wraith is a great disc to throw if you don't throw it flat, its called a hyzer release and this will snap the disc flight into a very overstable flight pattern helping it fight through the wind. not that i am an expert but i do play in one of the windiest courses in the US in Berkeley's aquatic park.

wow calm down man...you compared the wraith to the pulse, and said it was good into the wind...sorry if i connected the wrong dots...that being said, you can make any disc not turn over if you put enough hyzer angle on it...i was going off the disc thrown flat...

Latest posts