• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Vs. Discraft

These threads always crack me up. You people that are company biased that are not sponsered are crazy. The simpe fact is every disc company has some really nice discs. Some have a lot more then others, but that shouldn't make you only carry there discs when there is something better from a different company.

Here's my bag

Driver:
Speed demon clear evolution (gateway) for spike hizers and trick shots
star Xcaliber (innova) Headwind and long hizers
Champ Boss (innova) max D when control isn't required
Pro Destroyer (innova) Max D control driver
ESP Surge (Discraft) Long S drivers and long straight shots
Opt Riot (Lat 64) Same as surge but shorter
Z Flash (discraft) Hizer flips, Lazer line drives, Max D turnover drives
Quater K II (discwing) Roller, massize tailwind atleast 30mph

Fairway Driver
Champ Firebird (innova) hizers, control drives, headwind, thumbers, tommies
Champ Teebird (innova) control driver
E Sabre (Gateway) Control straight shots, use it a ton on wooded courses
QJLS (Millennium) 70% straight shots and turnover

Midranges
Champ Gater (innova) Short hizers, trick shots
Champ Gummy Spider (innova) main mid, hizers, straight shots
Clear E Element (gateway) tailwing bombs, control mid range, turnover mid
Opto Core (Lat 64) turnover, roller

Putters
S Magic (gateway) anny putts, long straight putts
S Voodoo (gateway) straight approaches, jump putts
S Chalky Wizard (gateway) annything inside 30ft

So I am carring 20 discs and have 6 different companies in my bag. Innova makes more discs and has more good discs then any other company. But the other companies have a few discs that are better for certain shots then what innova offers

Innova - Destroyer, firbird, teebird (these are discs I feel innova makes that other companies have no answer for)

Discraft- Z flash, probably the best driver for the average disc golfer, period. No other company can touch it. More people would throw straighter and farther with this disc then any other.

Discwing - the quater K II is the easiest disc to throw long rollers with out of the bag ever. Just try to stop it from rolling!!

Gateway- best group of putters in the best putter plastic. I think the sabre is also extremely un appreciated, very straight and very controllable.

Lat 64 - not there yet, but I think the Riot is extremely nice and there new plastic is a huge upgrade. It is as good as anyone elses.

Millenium- well, they are pretty much innova so they don't count.

A question for the engineers - are you happy working for us business types? :) Yep, now about those TPS reports.

Here's my story - when I first started the game, no one taught me anything. They shoved a disc in my hand and told me to throw it. Everything hyzered left no matter the disc or manufacturer. I had no basis to compare speed, turn, glide or fade. Once I got serious about it, Discraft made the most sense. A zero rated disc should go straight, right? So that's where I started. Since that time, I have found I like to dance with the one who brought me. Additionally, information I found on this site led to better understanding which led to experimentation which led to a better game for me. For that information I thank the contributing members on this site.

discraft=better plastic. you cannot beat discraft's plastic. It's just ridiculous. And I even like their discs a little better sometimes. But Innova is cheaper, and I know more of what the disc will do before I buy it. Once you get to understand what innova means by the ratings and figure out what discs have different molds and what those different molds are and what they do, I know what that disc will do even before I throw it. Discraft isn't bad with this-in fact their rating system is quite accurate. But it's not in-depth enough. For that reason, I'll take Innova straight out of the store, but if i can throw discs beforehand and they are the same price, i'll usually go with discraft.

I use all brands. The ones I've thrown from Discraft seem to be pretty straight flyers, but Innova seem to be very predictable.

For my drivers nothing seems to beat Quest. One of my buddies use to throw an Inferno until he started to turn it over. He gave it to another friend who throws is straight as an arrow. I had a Raging Inferno (until it went into the swamp) that was a really good flyer with a very slight fade at the end. I picked up a new Scream, and it flies nice and straight at the field, but is a magnet for trees at the course.

Mids and putting are Discraft - Buzzz rules!

Innova discs are all over my bag, drivers, mids, and putters.

To all the people that won't try Discraft because their ratings aren't detailed enough, realize that you WON'T get better throwing every throw flat and at the same speed. Ignore anyone who tells you different. Discs will do different things with different releases and different speeds. Those ratings only apply to one type of throw. As you get to know the game better, you'll realize what I'm saying.

If you can hold different company's discs, you'll realize that each plastic feels different as well. It was said earlier that Innova's Star plastic is inconsistent from mold to mold. I think that's true. Anyone that wants to tell me different can come to my house and feel the Star SL I have that is incredibly durable but slippery and a Star Tee-Bird that is grippy but already ruined because it's hit maybe thirty trees. You won't find that from Discraft's ESP plastic. It's soft and grippy, while being incredibly durable - every mold, every disc. The FLX plastic is even better. Innova's Champion plastic feels great when new but loses that feeling quickly. Discraft's Elite Z isn't as good new as the Champion plastic but is consistently like new years later.

That being said, I have only thrown Innova and Discraft but am not opposed to other brands. I love my Innova Groove but hate that I have to replace it once it hits a tree - it loses its' stability very quickly. I love my Valk and Tee-Bird. I'm finding though that I'm throwing my Force and Flick a lot more. And I wouldn't leave home without my Buzzz and Banger GT.

Unless you're sponsored by one company or supporting a local brand, you'd be a fool not to explore every option possible. Thinking you've got the best without seriously trying the other options makes no sense.

I don't have any discraft yet but I will probably get some in the future...problem is right now I have others that are close but other brands so it is getting harder to find a need.

I have:

Fairway drivers:
Innova Gazelle DX
Innova Gazelle Pro

Midrange:
DGA Shockwave
Lat 64 Core

Putter:
Gateway Magic
Gateway Wizard

I want to try a daredevil and some more Latitude stuff.

i carry all kinds...but probably

75% Innova
15% Discraft
10% Millenium

nearly all my drivers are innova
all midranges are innova except for flx buzz(which is rarely used)
Long straight or turnover shots i use millenium
and for Putting i use my "X" Putter

Here is how my bag breaks down:

17 discs:

10 Innova

4 Discraft

3 Millenium

I am not brand loyal, I just go for discs that work for me.

agreed, but most of my discs are innova because they are so easy to find and i like the company. i guess it all depends what is sold around you.

90% of my discs were either bought or traded online. My discs are rarely store bought. You get better deals online and in trades.

I started with all Innova, but am moving farther and farther to Discraft as I play more. They just seem to feel better and fly further for me.

Most cherished
Innova: Destroyer, Monarch, Valkyrie, Sidewinder, Banshee, Eagle, TL, Leopard, Dragon, Aero
Discraft: Wildcat, 150 X Surge, Flick, Tracker, Impact, Storm, Banger GT
Millenium: JLS (Innova)
DGA: Superdrive XL (Discraft)
Quest: The Wheel

In the mail and on it's way: Buzzz Lite (Woot!! :D)

I started with all Innova, but am moving farther and farther to Discraft as I play more. They just seem to feel better and fly further for me.

Most cherished
Innova: Destroyer, Monarch, Valkyrie, Sidewinder, Banshee, Eagle, TL, Leopard, Dragon, Aero
Discraft: Wildcat, 150 X Surge, Flick, Tracker, Impact, Storm, Banger GT
Millenium: JLS (Innova)
DGA: Superdrive XL (Discraft)
Quest: The Wheel

In the mail and on it's way: Buzzz Lite (Woot!! :D)

The Wheel is cool, but don't take it out during a tournament.