• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Leopard Lust...!

Two years ago, the local PIAS started ordering brands other than Discraft and Innova. I got away from throwing any Innova discs after that. However, I found a DX Leopard recently and I think it just may find a way to stay in my bag. I am really impressed how well it holds the lines I put it on. I need a reliable disc in a base plastic so I don't cringe so hard if I lose it in the water.

Question for the Leopard lovers out there:

My most recent Star Leopard (8 months old) has seasoned differently than my previous Star Leopard (18 months old). Both are 175. The newer (domey) one kept it's LSS but developed even more turn. The older one (flatter) lost it's fade first and then it's HSS. The Pro Leopards I've thrown both lost LSS first. Do I have a freak Star Leopard that's beating into flexing when thrown flat/slight hyzer?

Question for the Leopard lovers out there:

My most recent Star Leopard (8 months old) has seasoned differently than my previous Star Leopard (18 months old). Both are 175. The newer (domey) one kept it's LSS but developed even more turn. The older one (flatter) lost it's fade first and then it's HSS. The Pro Leopards I've thrown both lost LSS first. Do I have a freak Star Leopard that's beating into flexing when thrown flat/slight hyzer?

No it's the dome. A domey leopard will be more stable and loose it's hss first. Most discs will, but there are exceptions. Welcome to the world of innova. Not knocking them at all but dome is difficult to control when your pumping out as many discs as they are. I like the inconsistencies of that mold. I can carry three leopards some days and cover a ton of different lines. Enjoy it having three discs of the same mold covering different stabilizes is awesome!

I'm a little shocked to find this thread being inactive for such a long time. I've really enjoyed throwing my Pro Leopard lately, it's pretty flippy so it's been great in the winter. I've mostly thrown Pro Leos but I've had a Star and still have a Champ which I usually don't carry with me on the course.
How are Echo Star Leos like? Do they have similar stability to normal Star Leos? Do they break in faster? I'm thinking of picking up a new Pro but I'd like to try an E* as well, haven't checked them out for a while but I think they've used to be on the flatter side of Leos, which I like more.
AND are there any JL Leos out there?

Found this today don't know much about it, it looks old, my friends leopards aren't stamped this way?
zt97vd.jpg

I'm a little shocked to find this thread being inactive for such a long time. I've really enjoyed throwing my Pro Leopard lately, it's pretty flippy so it's been great in the winter. I've mostly thrown Pro Leos but I've had a Star and still have a Champ which I usually don't carry with me on the course.
How are Echo Star Leos like? Do they have similar stability to normal Star Leos? Do they break in faster? I'm thinking of picking up a new Pro but I'd like to try an E* as well, haven't checked them out for a while but I think they've used to be on the flatter side of Leos, which I like more.
AND are there any JL Leos out there?

I just got an x-out that feels very JL. do new leopards still come with patent #s?

They are being molded without. Many stores still have leopards with patent numbers in stock.

Found this today don't know much about it, it looks old, my friends leopards aren't stamped this way?

Looks like an old Pro Line Leo. They're fairly old but I haven't played long enough to know how old exactly :)

I think about all the Champ Leos I've seen have been of slightly cloudy Champ, not a big dome but not flat either. Would be easy to find replacements as they've been around for years. I just think it's a bit strange if Leos haven't been run in their new (not so new anymore though) JL Champ blend that has been very popular.

I have a Star Leo (pfn if that matters?) that is oddly stable (real straight even at high speeds). I had a pre-Barry Leopard that was a bit flippy and what I expect out of the this mold. This Star one I have... I love it, but I have never found another like it. It will turn, but in truth, it flies more like a slower TL. Anyone else with a similar story? It's a shame the pre-Barrys are so expensive.

The reason I switched from leos was that everytime I got a new 170's star leopard, they flew like a teebird. Didn't turn and had "lots" of fade to it. Then I tried pro plastic. They were nicer but beat in a little too fast. I recently got a slightly worn in 169g champ leo and this thing flys nice. Slooooowww turn and a tiny come back at the end.

I have a love hate relationship with Leopards. My first was a DX and I loved it until it beat in to unusable, replaced it with a Pro. The pro sucked! It was slick as snot and I could never get a good releases with it. Kept it around for two years and finally traded it off. Just bought a pink Star, so I'll see how that one flies.

Handled a new Jolly Launcher Leopard last week that felt soooo sweet, but didn't buy it because it was a dark purple, would be too easy to lose in the woods. I might give the champ a try if I come across a bright colored one. I'll try the Star out first, in all honesty, at this point I don't know where a Leopard would fit in my bag anymore, but we'll see, maybe I can rekindle that old DX leopard love I once had.

I popped my third Pro Leonard in the bag for my annual tradition of getting a perfectly seasoned Pro Leonard and then losing it in the fall. Right away, it has more turn than any of the FDs I have AND I love having a disc where I'm happy when it hits a tree.

I have a 165 G* Leopard that's fairly flat. New it had hardly any turn but flew really straight until the end of the flight where it had a pretty pronounced fade. It broke in rather quickly however and now I can get it to turn and hold if I torque it or I can get it to fly dead straight depending on my release angle, fantastic disc. Pretty much my main thrower on anything 150-275' that I do not need any fade at the end. I use a G* Thunderbird or Disccraft Heat for that shot

Picked this up today. I didn't reaaalllly need it, but then again, I did.

Attachments

• 11178448_10153256639438665_111449127_n.jpg
    11178448_10153256639438665_111449127_n.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 130
Most definitely a required purchase.

Speaking of which, I have a Japan Open E* Leo (blowfish two tone stamp), inked, one good cut in rim so I'll call it a 6/10 if anyone needs one (I think 157g), shoot me a PM.
I use old pro and proline exclusively now in Leos.

attachment.php

Sweet Leopard score. Pre Barry. Dye is decent. Has random dark spots on the disc but doesn't stink or anything. Around a 7/10 too. 173g.

Attachments

• 20150505_211629.jpg
    20150505_211629.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 179
Found a 148 DX Lep on a course I traveled to a few weeks ago, that thing is a hyzer flip turnover machine! It's a very fun disc to throw, makes me what to throw an arrangement of leps back in the bag. With all the short dogleg right courses I've been playing lately I just might :)

Latest posts