• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MD2

Took my C-MD2s with me to the field today since it was windy (25 mph gusts, 12 mph constant). I've never really tried them in real headwinds and I also wanted to test my Vectors and MIDARis a bit more.

The MD2s took the wind in stride, even my main deflashed one. They turned a bit on two throws where I had a bad release, but other than that they flew almost like the wind wasn't there. The flatness helped, head, tail or side winds had very little effect on the flight. I have no qualms about throwing these in windy conditions.

jubuttib said:
Took my C-MD2s with me to the field today since it was windy (25 mph gusts, 12 mph constant). I've never really tried them in real headwinds and I also wanted to test my Vectors and MIDARis a bit more.

The MD2s took the wind in stride, even my main deflashed one. They turned a bit on two throws where I had a bad release, but other than that they flew almost like the wind wasn't there. The flatness helped, head, tail or side winds had very little effect on the flight. I have no qualms about throwing these in windy conditions.

Did you throw the P's as well? If so how did they look?

I ordered a couple of 160s P MD-2s to test. Not sure where they will fit in the bag, since I'm pretty happy with Rocs and Comets. Ah well, gotta try new plastic every now and again.

I didn't take them with me, but I have thrown them in windy conditions before and it really isn't their forte. They're more domey so they get slowed down by the wind more, and while they're not demolished by the wind they do turn.

I've never considered the MD2 to be a particularly good mold in windy conditions, but the flat C-Lines I have have shown me I can rely on them. I still leave the D and P-Lines for tailwind and calmer situations.

Monocacy said:
I ordered a couple of 160s P MD-2s to test. Not sure where they will fit in the bag, since I'm pretty happy with Rocs and Comets. Ah well, gotta try new plastic every now and again.
If they're less stable when that light I'd expect them to fly about as straight as a Comet, maybe a bit of turn. And while nothing holds an anhyzer like a Comet, the P-MD2s are great for holding the angle you put them on. They will be much faster than the Comet however.

so after reading most of this thread looking for the differences between the s & p md2's, i've come to the following conclusions.

the s md2's are a lot closer to the c md2's in stability and are not breaking in as fast as star plastic.

the p md2's are less stable, have more glide than the s md2's and are better for line shaping in general, yet are not breaking in as fast as pro plastic.

are these assumptions correct, and if not, how so? i want one to go with my c md2 and possibly take the place of the mako in my bag. so my other question is are the s or p's anything like makos or are they both still more stable than the mako?

i absolutely love my mako and using it in combination with my cmd2, yet the prospect of using just one disc for my mid duties sounds intriguing.

The P-MD2 will be closest to the Mako, about as straight after deflashing but won't turn as easily, not as susceptible to OAT. I actually used the old Coyote and would most likely be throwing the Mako if it weren't for the P-MD2s. The added stability makes them easier to control for me and they still hold beautiful anhyzers.

The newest P-MD2s are hardly less stable than the S-Lines and my C-Lines, the differences in fade are really small. All of them, even the D-Lines fly really similarly when new. The Ds and Ps do have most glide and will beat in fastest, Ds being easy to get to understable and Ps being easy to get to totally straight. As to why they don't seem to beat in that fast overall, my guess is a combination of durable blends and a good shape. The nose is blunt and can take a lot of punishment, unlike a sharper nosed disc. Come to think of it it's fairly similar to a Prodiscus JOKERi, which is well known for losing LSS way before anything happens to the HSS. The sharper nosed red first run P-MD2s got understable fairly quickly, I attribute the orange ones' ability to resist beating in to the unique concave wing not seen on other MD2s since.

So, I went to an Ace Race, and while there we managed to visit our gracious sponsor that supplies us with tester discs. This time we got a load of Millennium discs, including an MS in Millennium plastic. And looking at the damn thing, and comparing it to my MD2's, I'm 99% sure that the first run P-MD2's were basically just R-Pro MS's. The top is identical to all of my early P-Lines, and the wing is identical to the red ones (the orange ones molded with a more concave wing and hence are more stable when new and beat in slower) and by extension identical to the premium and newer P-MD2's. What ever slight variation there is can surely be attributed to the difference in blends (R-Pro vs. the stiffer, very very opaque Starlike Pro, not the gummy and slightly translucent stuff that seems to be going around nowadays).

I've been wondering where that wing was from, and now I know. Now I just need to find out where the new top comes from.

jubuttib said:
So, I went to an Ace Race, and while there we managed to visit our gracious sponsor that supplies us with tester discs. This time we got a load of Millennium discs, including an MS in Millennium plastic. And looking at the damn thing, and comparing it to my MD2's, I'm 99% sure that the first run P-MD2's were basically just R-Pro MS's. The top is identical to all of my early P-Lines, and the wing is identical to the red ones (the orange ones molded with a more concave wing and hence are more stable when new and beat in slower) and by extension identical to the premium and newer P-MD2's. What ever slight variation there is can surely be attributed to the difference in blends (R-Pro vs. the stiffer, very very opaque Starlike Pro, not the gummy and slightly translucent stuff that seems to be going around nowadays).

I've been wondering where that wing was from, and now I know. Now I just need to find out where the new top comes from.

I asked this in another thread. I recently got a P MD2 and it looked just like and Aurora MS (maybe a bit domier). the guys at Innova have been bricking their pants over a disc that is basically a QMS+?

keltik said:
I asked this in another thread. I recently got a P MD2 and it looked just like and Aurora MS (maybe a bit domier). the guys at Innova have been bricking their pants over a disc that is basically a QMS+?
All of the premiums and the new P-Lines that I have definitely have a different top from the Aurora MS, and they fly very differently from the early P-MD2's. Based on what I've heard of the M MS (I'll soon find out for myself when I get to test it out) they're almost identical in flight to the early red P-MD2's that had a correctly molded wing. The new ones are much more HSS and can take a lot more punishment. The +core can affect flight too, moving more plastic to the rim (more gyroscopic and perhaps a tad faster), but I'm not sure how much of an effect it has.

When I got my P-MD2 the guy at Innova East said it reminded him a lot of his Auroras. We went out and played last weekend and he let me throw one of his Auroras and they were SIMILAR, but the MD2 was more stable and I could tell they weren't the same disc looking at them. But they were similar.

I don't know, I always order from that site and pick it up and they waive the shipping cost... From what I understand DGU is their front end. Either way, if you look there you can see basically what they have. They carry Innova and [edit]Discmania[/edit]. They have some Millennium stuff but they are phasing it out from what I can tell. I think they changed ownership recently?

keltik said:
uh oh is this the conspiracy starting?
To be fair Discmania.fi sold Discraft, BlackJAX and Aerobie until they went all Innova/Discmania last year. Found it strange even then.

Latest posts