• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MD2

So jubuttib.. what are your throughts on the MD2 vs Axis debate?

I was looking forward to a solid day of back to back throws with them both but on my third throw with my MD2 it want awry, I lost it behind a tree and it went deep in some brush in my yard... I've yet to find it. So the comparison will have to wait on my end.

Can't say before the Axes get here, but will report as soon as I've thrown them. From what I've read though it's only my P-MD2's that are under threat. The D's handle the understable slot and the C's can handle wind much better, it's the straight finesse mid slot that my P-Lines currently occupy that's likely to change.

Just tried out my lightest D-MD2's (172). They flew just like my other D-MD2's, and weren't bothered at all with the wind we had here (between 15 and 20 mph constantly). They did glide a bit better than the heavier ones though, as expected. Really happy with the consistency of these things.

Oh yeah, I was supposed to comment on the Axis in this thread... So yeah, like I've written in other threads, I like the Axis. Whereas I love the C-MD2 as a neutral power mid, the Axis feels better as a neutral finesse mid. I currently have the Axis in my bag, but I'm not 100% sold on it yet. I'm really liking what I see, but I need to throw it more. It's currently replacing my P-MD2's as a finesse disc, and is working well in that slot, and I do like it better than the current run of domey P-MD2's. If I could get some flatter P-MD2's though... I'm not sure. Axis is definitely a great disc, but it can't replace my MD2's and is basically adding one somewhat overlapping mold in my bag.

Trey133 said:
Crosseyed - Does innova east have any Dlines yet? I need henry to get back to the states asap.

Still just the P2 as far as I know. I would love more of the D-Line here because I would throw it before I would throw S or C...

You missed your chance earlier... =)

jubuttib said:
By the way, if anyone is interested, I have a stack of EO 2011 D-MD2s (5 max weight, 2x176, 2x175 and a 172) and could see myself parting with one max weight and one lighter specimen. The price would be 5 euros per disc (exactly what I paid for them, so don't worry Jussi, Timo and co., I'm not making a profit, just spreading the love :) ) + shipping.

I also threw some stiff and domey pink C-Lines. Like expected, they have noticeably more fade.

I'm pretty sure the reason I don't like them is the dome. It does add some glide, but it also slows the disc down a lot, causing it to lose distance and the fade to kick in earlier. The PLH's are pretty much identical and I've deflashed the domey one, so pretty much the only reason it should fade more is that the dome just slows it down so much.

So it's a triple whammy: Compared to the flat ones, it doesn't feel as nice in the hand, it isn't as long and it slows down faster, causing an earlier fade. I also tried to flatten it, but there's just so much dome that it'll dimple and clover before getting flat. I'd need to heat it up and then douse it with liquid nitrogen or something to get it to shrink quickly. =)

Trey133 said:
Could you send a pic of the stamp on those? Were they a special stamp or a traditional stamp?
Second row, last two discs. They have the normal First Run stamp and an additional European Open 2011 stamp in a different color. Exactly the same discs as the regular FR D-MD2's.
24quy5f.jpg

Normally these are around 8.50€, but were on sale prior to the tournament for 5€/disc. I managed to order 10 of them, half an hour later they were limited to 4 per person. =)

Trey133 said:
I see that pink C-MD2 in there. I've been waiting patiently to aqcuire one of these :)
The other flat gummies are probably just as good, just not as pretty. =)

Luckily I managed to snatch three of those. Seeing how slow they beat in after the initial seasoning, I'm set for at least 5-10 years unless I manage to lose 'em.

All of the domey ones from any run I've thrown have had much more fade than the flat ones I've thrown.

mickas said:
Well I bought one of each, going to try them in the off season.
From what I've seen, the flat ones are more neutral, are infinitely better in the wind (they don't get pushed around), and fly more like MD2's should than the domey ones.

The only thing I'm not totally sure about is the differences between the runs. They're currently at the 3rd run, which includes the Australian Open stamped ones. Those seem similar (if stiffer) to the domey production C-lines I've seen(those are 2nd run, most likely). I'm not 100% sure but it's possible that the CFR 1st runs were like the 1st run S and P-Lines, and were made basically as a +core Aurora MS. This would make them not quite as good in the wind, due to the different nose profile.

threw both a bit today, they both had more fade than I expected them to. I threw them side by side on an open 350 foot hole, the domey one went about 345ft and straight the whole way, flying more slowly with a flight line like a buzzz; the flat one turned a tiny bit then faded and ended up going about 355ft. I will for sure experiment with these quite a bit more, I might have to start throwing a bunch of grenades with the domey one to break it because under 330ft they both fly pretty much the same (the flat one having a little more wind resistance).

I'll report back again soon.

Latest posts