• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MD2

Too bad all of the pre-blunt S-Lines I've seen have been on the domey side. I would like to give flat or at least flatter ones a try though. Well, moot point since I'm unlikely to change anything at the moment, the C's and D's are working too well.

Incidentally, there was some talk some time ago on DGCR about flattening a new run P-MD2. I thought that they're too domey to flatten properly, and was right. The funny thing is that after I flattened it I put some hot water on it again to dome it up a bit, lose the clovers on the top. Now it's sort of midway between flat and the huge dome it originally had, and flies nice and understable, like a D-MD2 with 2-3 months of use under it's belt. Quite a surprise that.

MDP said:
What other mids are you guys throwing with the MD2?

I like my Cs but I'm thinking about adding something more overstable. Vector maybe?

I've got my CMD2 paired with an Axis and really beat in Mako. I don't feel the need for a more stable mid because I've got a Pig and Banshee in the bag and that covers that slot for me.

Loop said:
I wonder...Are there any flat Auroras?
Been wondering about that myself. Aurora MS that had a similar dome to the old MD2's could be great. Though they still won't have that orange MD2 miss-mold.

jubuttib said:
Loop said:
I wonder...Are there any flat Auroras?
Been wondering about that myself. Aurora MS that had a similar dome to the old MD2's could be great. Though they still won't have that orange MD2 miss-mold.

It still could be rather close.
Oh man, to get something like frP-MD2 in premium plastic... That's the dream. :)

Most likely you'll end up with something more like the red R-MD2's, not the orange ones. QMS is a good disc though, give it a try.

Zach,
I think we have finally found our answer. The MD2 went through several iterations before finally becoming what it is today (e.g. "blunt" nosed). The blunt nosed MD2 is what Jussi has selected for his lineup. The previous MD2 was a configuration that was eventually scrapped in favor of the blunt nosed version.

Alright...

This pisses me off.

I asked Seppo and Juho at USDGC which MD2's they throw and they both responded "only the first runs". I asked them about the flat CMD2's and Seppo nodded and said "yes, those are the good first runs".

Why would Discmania scrap "the good first runs" for this new Big Domey Dissapointment? When their team obviously likes them and only prefers to throw them? I suspect that the Factory Second store has fabricated this story of Jussi changing things all over the place to come to some new mold that he prefers.

Trey133 said:
Zach,
I think we have finally found our answer. The MD2 went through several iterations before finally becoming what it is today (e.g. "blunt" nosed). The blunt nosed MD2 is what Jussi has selected for his lineup. The previous MD2 was a configuration that was eventually scrapped in favor of the blunt nosed version.

Alright...

This pisses me off.

I asked Seppo and Juho at USDGC which MD2's they throw and they both responded "only the first runs". I asked them about the flat CMD2's and Seppo nodded and said "yes, those are the good first runs".

Why would Discmania scrap "the good first runs" for this new Big Domey Dissapointment? When their team obviously likes them and only prefers to throw them? I suspect that the Factory Second store has fabricated this story of Jussi changing things all over the place to come to some new mold that he prefers.
Weird, because Seppo carries blunt, flat pinks from the production run, and specifically recommended those when I was buying them. I think the flat part is more important.

Ah,

It might've been a communication thing? I can definitely understand if he was meaning to say the FLAT ones were the good ones. Do those pinks happen to be first runs? Maybe that is where the confusion is coming from.

Trey we can hope that when Millennium finally runs out of the old stock of QMS, we will then see the QMS 2.0 with the new micro bead stingray bottom.

I'll ask about it next time I place an order

Trey133 said:
Ah,

It might've been a communication thing? I can definitely understand if he was meaning to say the FLAT ones were the good ones. Do those pinks happen to be first runs? Maybe that is where the confusion is coming from.
They're blunt nosed (and my oldest CFR C-MD2 isn't) so I'm guessing they're second run, first run of the blunts surely though. Not sure how much of disc geek he is though... =)

jubuttib said:
Incidentally, there was some talk some time ago on DGCR about flattening a new run P-MD2. I thought that they're too domey to flatten properly, and was right. The funny thing is that after I flattened it I put some hot water on it again to dome it up a bit, lose the clovers on the top. Now it's sort of midway between flat and the huge dome it originally had, and flies nice and understable, like a D-MD2 with 2-3 months of use under it's belt. Quite a surprise that.

I just picked up a 174 P MD2 on the domey and softer side. I was wondering if it would be worth it to try and flatten it out. What process did you go through to do this? I've searched and found a few methods, but I'm afraid of messing it up.

I also picked up an opaque pink C MD2. Are those the ones Jussi and others like?

I'm kinda excited to get back into MD2's after running the midrange gamut. Every other mold required another mold or two to compliment it. Now all they need to do is release production D MD2's in the US and I would be set.

Fightingthetide said:
I just picked up a 174 P MD2 on the domey and softer side. I was wondering if it would be worth it to try and flatten it out. What process did you go through to do this? I've searched and found a few methods, but I'm afraid of messing it up.
I put it upside down on my kitchen worktop, poured in boiling water, put a plastic cutting board over to it cover it up, and put some weight over it (I think it was two phonebooks). It flattened, yes, but there's so much plastic in the flight plate that it just clovers like hell and is really floppy. You'd have to figure out a way to shrink it fast.

If I had access to liquid nitrogen, I'd first heat it up with boiling water and then quickly cool it with the nitrogen, that's one of the few ways I can think of that could shrink it like I need it to.
Fightingthetide said:
I also picked up an opaque pink C MD2. Are those the ones Jussi and others like?
If it's also flat and gummy, then yes. I don't know what Jussi throws, but Seppo seems to really like those MD2's.

x-out said:
last time i played with jussi (early 2011) ha was using several GM's.
Yeah, that's what I've seen him use in videos (and one or two times on the course too).

jubuttib said:
Fightingthetide said:
I put it upside down on my kitchen worktop, poured in boiling water, put a plastic cutting board over to it cover it up, and put some weight over it (I think it was two phonebooks). It flattened, yes, but there's so much plastic in the flight plate that it just clovers like hell and is really floppy. You'd have to figure out a way to shrink it fast.

If I had access to liquid nitrogen, I'd first heat it up with boiling water and then quickly cool it with the nitrogen, that's one of the few ways I can think of that could shrink it like I need it to.

I wonder if a sink full of of icewater would suffice. Right after removing the weight, submerge it into the ice...

You said that after flattening it (and after letting it cool?) you put more boiling water in it to let the dome settle back in a little and it worked out okay. Do you still have and like that particular disc for neutral mid shots?

Fightingthetide said:
You said that after flattening it (and after letting it cool?) you put more boiling water in it to let the dome settle back in a little and it worked out okay. Do you still have and like that particular disc for neutral mid shots?
No, I said it flies understable. I haven't really thrown it much but it turns pretty darn easily now, but remains at least somewhat controllable. I'd need to test it more to be sure. It's more understable than any of my P-MD2's have been so far (I haven't managed to beat any of them in that much), my most beat D-MD2 is pretty similar.

jubuttib said:
Fightingthetide said:
No, I said it flies understable. I haven't really thrown it much but it turns pretty darn easily now, but remains at least somewhat controllable. I'd need to test it more to be sure. It's more understable than any of my P-MD2's have been so far (I haven't managed to beat any of them in that much), my most beat D-MD2 is pretty similar.

I went through the process of flattening mine. After the first round with boiling water and weight, it turned out flat, but had 5 deep depression on the flight plate...as expected. I did what you did and put more boiling water back into the flight plate with the disc supported only on the edge so the dome could fill back in a little. It seemed to fill in a bit too much, and still felt like a floppy mess in my hands (after cooling). So I decided to try and flatten it again. This time I put it upside down in the microwave with some water in the plate to just get it warmed up. Then I went through the process of flattening it with boiling water and weight on top of a flat pan. Every 10 minutes I would remove the weight and slide the pan over so the suction wouldn't build up too much - which I GUESS is what helped cause the clovering. It worked, and now I have a flat P MD2 with only one tiny little depression in the flight plate. All the other depressions flattened out the second time around.

I'm going to a field later today to see how it flies. I'm hoping it will hold up well and stay flat. With winter coming, I think it might help the disc retain it's shape...we shall see.

EDIT: It flies quite nice. Stable, dependable fade, but holds the line you put it on sooo well. No high speed turn and a touch less glide than it probably had before I flattened it out. Thinking about ditching my GL Fuses for how well this handled turnover lines.

my CFR C-line(shark top) has beaten straight. Flies almost identical to a fresh QMS now.

my opaque dayglow C-Line is still nice and stable. perfect compliment to the QMS

Can't wait for the D-line DGR MD2s. Curious if they get a bit more distance w/ the dx plastic

Latest posts