• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Mvp Amp

The Amp is better than any roadrunner i have ever thrown, that's for sure. It has enough LSS to prevent a turn and burn but thrown with enough power will still be under-stable enough to never fade back, just straightens out and lands flat.

I'm still interested if anyone has a used Amp to trade or sell, as long as its not a first run. If you don't like it, no reason to hang on to it :)

Last edited:
That's funny, because I bought a 173 Neutron Amp and compared it to my 168 Champ RR that's been used for a season and they looked identical, which surprised me. That 168 RR is probably more OS than most, I guess.

Spin is the key to getting MVP discs to fly well without throwing them harder. Otherwise try a lighter weight.
In terms of glide I see discs in 3 categories: no/minimal glide, balanced glide, and glide dominant. Glide is the enemy of predictability. It requires better form to gain advantage from and can be a real liability in dynamic wind conditions. No glide is extremely predictable and wind resistant, but require more effort and lack versatility. Most workhorse discs are in the middle somewhere. I would put all of MVP's molds in that middle category currently. Even the Resistor has glide and the Amp glides only slightly more than the Volt. It will be interesting if or when MVP makes a glide dominant disc (ie Comet, RR, many Lat family molds).

Spin is the key to getting MVP discs to fly well without throwing them harder. Otherwise try a lighter weight.
In terms of glide I see discs in 3 categories: no/minimal glide, balanced glide, and glide dominant. Glide is the enemy of predictability. It requires better form to gain advantage from and can be a real liability in dynamic wind conditions. No glide is extremely predictable and wind resistant, but require more effort and lack versatility. Most workhorse discs are in the middle somewhere. I would put all of MVP's molds in that middle category currently. Even the Resistor has glide and the Amp glides only slightly more than the Volt. It will be interesting if or when MVP makes a glide dominant disc (ie Comet, RR, many Lat family molds).

I have tried telling people Less Glide = More controllable/predictable before and people troll/flame me saying im wrong.. Maybe since you said it now they will believe it :wall:

Good to see you back Discspeed :)

I have tried telling people Less Glide = More controllable/predictable before and people troll/flame me saying im wrong..
That's true, it's easily understood just by common sense. I've never thrown a Gator but I believe it's a great example. Somewhere someone said that throwing a Gator is like throwing a rock; it goes just as far as you throw it. But it's also true that a true disc with some glide is more versatile than a rock/Gator. (Not saying that a Gator isn't a bad disc.. :))

I have tried telling people Less Glide = More controllable/predictable before and people troll/flame me saying im wrong.. Maybe since you said it now they will believe it :wall:

It's kind of like the difference between Joel Olsteen and a homeless guy standing a street corner shouting "The end is near!" You may not believe either one of them but Joel is a lot more fun to listen to.

It's kind of like the difference between Joel Olsteen and a homeless guy standing a street corner shouting "The end is near!" You may not believe either one of them but Joel is a lot more fun to listen to.

Exactly.. Who would want to try to crank a Gator as hard as possible for 500 feet shot when you can just use an Amp for example? :p

That's the first thing I tell people when talking about MVP. I've never had discs I could control so much. Sometimes I think I've had a mind meld with my Amp and my Anode. I just think what I want them to do and they do it.

(Most of the time)

That's the first thing I tell people when talking about MVP. I've never had discs I could control so much. Sometimes I think I've had a mind meld with my Amp and my Anode. I just think what I want them to do and they do it.

(Most of the time)

must be nice, lol. I carry 1 amp in the bag, and I seem to throw that disc on shots that I need the most confidence in..... maybe you are on to something after all.

So I threw the more stable Amps when they first came out, and they just weren't for me. But since I am never content with what is in my bag, I'd like to check out the Amp again. Are the newer ones coming out less stable as intended?

I always liked orange Amp, just right stability for my needs. Pink Amp is hair less stable than orange and I use pink one when I need a long turnover. White one is most stable Amp. Those are Amps I bought when they just came out. I just ordered some more Amps (asked for orange) direct from MVP and should get them real soon so I ll see how it compares with my older ones.

BTW I had my best shot with Amp today 360 feet (very slight downhill at end) and got easy birdie. I was focusing on tighting my core and it helped me with extra snap.

Got one about a month ago from disc golf center. It is as stable as a fresh champ teebird. I was expecting at least Valkyrie type stability. Good disc just not what I was hoping for. The volt I received flew about the same but with a tick more fade. Both out over 350.

Got one about a month ago from disc golf center. It is as stable as a fresh champ teebird. I was expecting at least Valkyrie type stability. Good disc just not what I was hoping for. The volt I received flew about the same but with a tick more fade. Both out over 350.

Similar experience to mine. Try beating it up and see what happens.

Similar experience to mine. Try beating it up and see what happens.

Interesting. I wonder if DGC still has the first runs mixed into their stock.

scoopa, what weight and color did you order from DGC?

I wonder how far you guys are throwing, how high, are you throwing on a flat release, are you sure the Amp you bought isn't a first or early run.

I know about 1/3 the Amp stock at my shop is still first run, which sucks because had they known sooner to keep them separated they would have never gotten mixed together xD

Just try to get the ones with slightly lower PLH if you can tell

The new ones out of the box will turn over late and slowly fade out to flat thrown on a low line.

If you throw them too high they will obviously not keep traveling fast and slow down, losing the HSS right away.. Although, my beat Amp i have had in the bag for a while i am able to put on real high lines and it still turns all the way to the ground landing flat, im liking it a LOT.. i got that one mid-summer

New fresh ones should have some good fade and good LSS at the end till you get them broken in and they loose a little bit of the LSS and stay turning over longer/easier.

Last edited:
Also the Amp is a speed 9 so you need to throw it fast enough to keep the disc in that HSS stage long enough to get a good turn over.

I have a feeling the Speed 7 under-stable fairway from MVP (whenever they get around to releasing it) will be a much easier turnover driver for most people to handle. Think Leopard.

Last edited:
Also the Amp is a speed 9 so you need to throw it fast enough to keep the disc in that HSS stage long enough to get a good turn over.

I have a feeling the Speed 7 under-stable fairway from MVP (whenever they get around to releasing it) will be a much easier turnover driver for most people to handle. Think Leopard.

I'm ok with speed 9 and workably understable, like a Valk. I've got the Rpadrunner for turnovers. It's the reports of Amps that are like Teebirds or Volts that concern me.

Latest posts