• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ordered a couple Wraths to audition as Thunderbird backups (since I keep losing my good thunderbirds and replacements are hard to find)

I have a beat in F2 Champion Thunderbird and recently bought a 170g Wrath that flies much further and less dumpy. Wrath still holds up well in the wind and doesnt turn, but will just go straight.

If your thunderbird was a disc that dumped hard for you, then the Wrath might be too straight. But still a great disc.

I have a beat in F2 Champion Thunderbird and recently bought a 170g Wrath that flies much further and less dumpy. Wrath still holds up well in the wind and doesnt turn, but will just go straight.

If your thunderbird was a disc that dumped hard for you, then the Wrath might be too straight. But still a great disc.

I use Thunderbirds as my go to forehand disc and my overstable backhand disc. I'm looking for something that will maybe flip up just a smidge on a forehand smash but won't flip and burn, and I can put all I've got (which isn't much) into a backhand headwind throw and not turn over. I've heard a lot of good about the wrath tho. And they're available in lighter weights, my favorite lost thunderbirds were ~160. I did manage to grab a 164 Holly Finley that is a sweet flyer.

Last edited:
Sample size of 1 for each, but the Fireball (161) is my most OS disc by an order of magnitude. Once I'm warmed up, it can be a killer flex in the right situation. But this evening at least, the Flare wasn't in that category of narrow usage. I don't doubt that the power delta also plays a part, and it may be that the Fireball's compliance increases with speed.

I got a couple of Fireballs yesterday, time to experiment!

I got a couple of Fireballs yesterday, time to experiment!

I hope you aren't disappointed.

For me, the Fireball is kind of like a Felon where the Flare is more of a Firebird if that makes sense.

Not knocking the Fireball by any means. I'm a noodle arm and the Fireball is manageable where the Flare is definitely more of a utility disc for me.

For me, the Fireball is kind of like a Felon where the Flare is more of a Firebird if that makes sense.

Not knocking the Fireball by any means. I'm a noodle arm and the Fireball is manageable where the Flare is definitely more of a utility disc for me.

That's totally what I'm anticipating, the older Neutron Fireball I had was nice. Similar to a PD or Mad Cat where I could throw it 330 BH/375FH and it I wanted to carry one control driver I could.

If I end up hating them, it was $20 for the pair and I can probably unload them for the same.

You guys have me doubting myself. I'll have to get those two out into the field together and revisit.

Separately, I'm not sure the Runway will be a direct replacement for the Deflector like I was hoping, but it's a really solid complement to the Reactor, regardless.

First throwing session of the year this evening. I think my last throws were in October. Anyways, some observations.

Form was way out of whack, but got some decent throws in with all my discs. Lots of uggllyyyy 300' hyzers.

New discs that seen first airtime:
166 fission wave (got as a backup to my main 164)
163 plasma wave
149 fission wave
170 plasma insanity

New plasma wave BOMBS. Best throw of day hit 390'. Seemingly a little more US than the fissions. Seemed to turn more, and easier, but definitely no danger of flipping all the way over. Swirly mild winds and slight downhill throw, but this pull rivaled some of my best.

Plasma insanity was exactly what I was hoping it was. Slightly more US than my neutron one. Really similar lines to my beloved beat proton I lost awhile ago. Decent turn, decent fade back to center. Gonna be a workhorse.

149 fission wave was FLIPPPYYYY. Even on a day with tons of awful sawed off hyzers, this thing was turning and sailing right, and going a long long ways. However, no throwlers or accidental rollers. Just big ol panning annys.

Other notes: the two hexes aquired late last year are still magic. Whatever line I wanted, I could throw. Easy distance. Easily sailing past my matrix, with less effort. Going to be my most thrown mids.

Cosmic neutron runway acquired early last season is as beefy as I remember. Hard to get distance, but solid os lines, especially in the winds. Dependable fh disc. Still loving it.

Tried a couple fhs with the plaz mayhem. Good distance, sketchy control right now. Definitely good distance by my standards.

Favorite throws of the day were from the good ol trusty plasma ion. That thing is still straight up pure $$$$.

Haven't been playing for a full year yet, forehand dominant over 50. I know it aint much, but I broke 300 with a forehand today, with my insanity (proton 169). A downhill hole with a diaganol tailwind and got this awesome clean release... Watched it flex and suddenly was biting my lip thinking "Its heading towards the basket, Is it going to hit chains?" dropped and stopped right underneath, where all I had to do was lift and drop it in for birdie... Damn this sport can just make me grin from ear to ear sometimes!

The backhand... still needs major work... need a big field and practice!

Despite my sig, I found myself flirting again with my Ohm. I throw an Eclipse Envy. The Envy is a little beat, but it's pretty close to perfect. The Ohm (Neutron) is close to new. Both discs are 174g.

I thought maybe (given the 2/5/0/1 on the plate) that the Ohm might be the less stable disc. But it seemed to me that it was the more stable of the two.

Wear might be an issue, but I throw new Eclipses in the field and I don't see much (if any) difference between the new Eclipses and the one I bag.

At this point I'm inclined to stick with what I got, the difference is too subtle and well within angle-control territory.

I was curious if anyone else would say the Ohm is a more stable disc than the Eclipse Envy.

Well I can see that, I've got some of the first run eclipse envy at 167g, couple stock a couple halloweenies with the dominatrix witch :D haha... short story is the eclipse is about as straight as you can get out of the box for a premium envy. I had/ finally found a pink one 2018 HW that I lost for about 2 months so I cracked out my yellow rim one. Straight ootb it was awesome, even with 3 years of casual wear on the pinky the yellow was straighter. It even exhibited some turn.

So I guess I could see that.

IME the ohm is like an envy with a few years of wear on it. My 174g ohm (or 3) is more stable than my most beat 167 plasma yard envy (10ish yrs of heavy use) it's about in the range of my 3rd to 5th semi beat yard envy also in the 167g range.

I find the ohm is still resistant to turn, still fades but it's more of a gentle light pan compared to a hook and drop. My eclipse envy's usually exhibit maybe 2-3' of wandering turn but fade in a similar fashion.

picture.php

picture.php

Yard envy #1 is light blue, #2 is dark blue.. Pay no attention to the two in the top right haha. That's what I'm playing with nightly, crap.. Where's my 159 plasma inertia?.. Oh there it is haha. Off for a round BRB

Last edited:
Well I can see that, I've got some of the first run eclipse envy at 167g, couple stock a couple halloweenies with the dominatrix witch :D haha... short story is the eclipse is about as straight as you can get out of the box for a premium envy. I had/ finally found a pink one 2018 HW that I lost for about 2 months so I cracked out my yellow rim one. Straight ootb it was awesome, even with 3 years of casual wear on the pinky the yellow was straighter. It even exhibited some turn.

So I guess I could see that.

IME the ohm is like an envy with a few years of wear on it. My 174g ohm (or 3) is more stable than my most beat 167 plasma yard envy (10ish yrs of heavy use) it's about in the range of my 3rd to 5th semi beat yard envy also in the 167g range.

I find the ohm is still resistant to turn, still fades but it's more of a gentle light pan compared to a hook and drop. My eclipse envy's usually exhibit maybe 2-3' of wandering turn but fade in a similar fashion.

You hit on what I'm talking about. It's something subtle and really hard to put into words. But it's the slow-speed end of flight characteristics.

Oh hay I just made a convert. Yesterday the neighborhood card went to the local and I decided to play one disc. Today one of the bros ordered his first envy. One of the other ones made the comment 'I might have to try that'.

I've only thrown the Envy before but decided to try some Gyro this off season and I've been very impressed. So far I've tried Hex, Reactor, Pyro, Relay and Crave and I also have a Trace and a Flare that I haven't thrown yet. For someone that loves flat discs these have been great! The Reactor, Pyro, Relay and Crave already have a place in the bag, although I might drop either the Relay or the Crave due to overlap.

That Mark It Zero disc...what is this that I feel?

Ah. That's envy.

Nah, lucid bounty... there was a fundraiser auction for some kids disc something or other. Get a custom dye done. I was the high bid haha I've thrown it a bit but it's got a weird breakover kinda turn that I can't predict. I bought a lot of discs for that FR haha, a 165 neutron pp volt with a flash (superhero Sig) dye, a metal flake proton tesla, pfn I think. A trace. 2 others haha

The black R2 is my spin. I'm no artist but it makes it a lot faster to spot.

Last edited:
Nah, lucid bounty... there was a fundraiser auction for some kids disc something or other. Get a custom dye done. I was the high bid haha I've thrown it a bit but it's got a weird breakover kinda turn that I can't predict.

The black R2 is my spin. I'm no artist but it makes it a lot faster to spot.

Well. No envy then.

Well. No envy then.

Nah played the two yard envy with the inertia. Took my glow svea for the dark woods since I misplaced my envy, on top of a cooler while I poured another clam and beer. Haha

picture.php

I meant to take it out, the glow 1.0 don't hold enough of a charge without a blacklight. Ha I got it a couple weeks ago stuffed it in my bag because I thought I'd "go out to play", still haven't got a toss on it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts