• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've only thrown the Envy before but decided to try some Gyro this off season and I've been very impressed. So far I've tried Hex, Reactor, Pyro, Relay and Crave and I also have a Trace and a Flare that I haven't thrown yet. For someone that loves flat discs these have been great! The Reactor, Pyro, Relay and Crave already have a place in the bag, although I might drop either the Relay or the Crave due to overlap.

Those are all fantastic discs to start with. I loved the crave and while the relay was ok I really just liked the crave better. There is definitely some overlap so I dropped the relay. I got some fission photons yesterday and have preordered the fission reactor so I am looking forward to throwing those soon.

Those are all fantastic discs to start with. I loved the crave and while the relay was ok I really just liked the crave better. There is definitely some overlap so I dropped the relay. I got some fission photons yesterday and have preordered the fission reactor so I am looking forward to throwing those soon.

Nice! I've only thrown the Hokom Craves and I'm looking for some Cosmic Neutron ones since I've heard they're more stable, that would probably be a real workhorse in the woods for me! I love throwing hyzer flips.

Nah played the two yard envy with the inertia. Took my glow svea for the dark woods since I misplaced my envy, on top of a cooler while I poured another clam and beer. Haha

picture.php

I meant to take it out, the glow 1.0 don't hold enough of a charge without a blacklight. Ha I got it a couple weeks ago stuffed it in my bag because I thought I'd "go out to play", still haven't got a toss on it yet.

I'm curious what color the rim was before the dye. That's nice work.

It is with sadness in my heart that I report the lost of my beloved MVP Servo. It was a disc close to my heart and was always there when I needed a long forehand shot. Weighing in at 160 grams, it turned out to be a perfect weight for my noodle arm. Bright orange, it was easy to spot in the desert and grass. But, sadly, when the wind kicked up during a slightly off line throw and Servo was carried towards water. Then, instead of just sinking close to shore, it skipped multiple times until it was out of reach by retriever. It will be fondly remembered.

((Dang Fountain Hills DGC and all the water. I have ordered a replacement....but, it won't be the same.)).

MVP circuit challenge

Electron Atom
Streamline echo 5 5 -1.5 1
Axiom Rhythm 7 5 -3 1

I was really hoping to see the watt but it's probably too soon. I wonder if they are trying to push the atom more, there were definitely some interesting atoms in the mystery boxes this year.

I was really hoping to see the watt but it's probably too soon. I wonder if they are trying to push the atom more, there were definitely some interesting atoms in the mystery boxes this year.

Yeah I'd like to see the watt too. That might solve a lot of issues in my bag.

Not sure how I feel about the rhythm.. We'll see, I got gifted a k1 soft falk I think it's 9 6 -2 1 or -3 1... either way it's a nice disc and slots in close to the relay or inertia. It would be nice if the rhythm hit the same spot. Kinda like a relay with a bit more rim and glide but longer potential but fairway kinda control. I'm using the inertia in that spot right now.

I guess I shouldn't be a gyro snob, I acquired two Kasta's with good mojo on them. Kind of obligated to throw em. Don't know why I'm always striving for full gyro. Other than I love it, but I tell you k1 soft poison green Falk and glow Svea have been fun to moonlight/dusk disc with, not to discount the dayglo green uplink. Haha it's all about playing after work for few ya know?

Got my Wraths today. Nice and flat top. No real chance to throw them since it was raining and blowing 20+.

Got my Wraths today. Nice and flat top. No real chance to throw them since it was raining and blowing 20+.
I bag a new Plamsa Tesla & a new Wrath. Wrath is a tad straighter. I like both for similar shots in different wind conditions.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Well, I'm super disappointed in this year's circuit challenge. I know we're always going to get less stable in general as it caters to newer players, but dang, the Rhythm looks waaay less stable than I was expecting it to be from the teaser pics. I compared the profile from the teaser side by side to a Crave and Clash and it looked a lot like a Clash, so my hopes were up for something to replace the PP Crave since the new ones aren't as stable. I'm really bummed about it for a couple reasons. It means they weren't working on a Clash replacement like a lot of us assumed, and with no other news, it means we probably won't have a PP Crave type replacement either. The profile pic of the Cypher, the only other disc announced, drops way lower than the Rhythm. So it's either going to be the fairway version of the Paradox, and be unusable, or MVP purposefully changed the profile pics and it'll be what the Rhythm was assumed to be, but I'm not holding my breath for that. Basically, I've been steadily losing faith in MVP as a company for the past several years, and this might just be the final straw. I've thrown nothing but Gyro for a long time, but I'm about to branch out to some other brands like Kasta to see if they have the discs I actually want to throw since MVP has put so many that I liked OOP.

Basically, I've been steadily losing faith in MVP as a company for the past several years, and this might just be the final straw. I've thrown nothing but Gyro for a long time, but I'm about to branch out to some other brands like Kasta to see if they have the discs I actually want to throw since MVP has put so many that I liked OOP.

It seems like a bit of harsh take IMO. It's not like they specifically targeted your line-up. I am sure, just like any business, they evaluate what sells and what doesn't in combination with what is in need of update. They seem intentionally focused on maintaining a modern/updated lineup as opposed to continuing to make small runs of low popularity discs.

I throw gyro because of the quality/consistency factor but also because of the science. So much of disc golf is about the archer not the arrow so the realized difference of the gyroscopic technology MVP is employing is not always tangible. But it's there nevertheless and I love aerodynamics and all things that fly so I really enjoy throwing gyro. If I didn't have that sort of preference I think I would have a more open bag

Well, I'm super disappointed in this year's circuit challenge. I know we're always going to get less stable in general as it caters to newer players, but dang, the Rhythm looks waaay less stable than I was expecting it to be from the teaser pics. I compared the profile from the teaser side by side to a Crave and Clash and it looked a lot like a Clash, so my hopes were up for something to replace the PP Crave since the new ones aren't as stable. I'm really bummed about it for a couple reasons. It means they weren't working on a Clash replacement like a lot of us assumed, and with no other news, it means we probably won't have a PP Crave type replacement either. The profile pic of the Cypher, the only other disc announced, drops way lower than the Rhythm. So it's either going to be the fairway version of the Paradox, and be unusable, or MVP purposefully changed the profile pics and it'll be what the Rhythm was assumed to be, but I'm not holding my breath for that. Basically, I've been steadily losing faith in MVP as a company for the past several years, and this might just be the final straw. I've thrown nothing but Gyro for a long time, but I'm about to branch out to some other brands like Kasta to see if they have the discs I actually want to throw since MVP has put so many that I liked OOP.

Don't be too quick. Do some research as all brands are having difficulty. I lost a Kastaplast Falk that was my main 'driver'. Couldn't find them anywhere as they are out of stock....a friend told me about Par Plastics and I was able to get one there. But Kastaplast is teaming up with Latitude 64 and Lat64 will be making the Kastaplast discs....when? Who knows? Will Lat64's version be the same as Kasta's? Who knows?

Brands are having a tough time with the supply chain and have to choose what they can make....and are having trouble keeping anything in stock. The big ones (Innova, Discraft, Lat64) are being pretty good at keeping stock available...but even then the mold might not be consistent or their stock is "limited run".

MVP circuit challenge

Electron Atom
Streamline echo 5 5 -1.5 1
Axiom Rhythm 7 5 -3 1

Tempting for a 1st ever tournament (and maybe last depending just how far DFL I finish) but it's probably 3-4 hours to the nearest one for me.

p.s. the Rythm is definitely targeted to me haha

Last edited:
Don't be too quick. Do some research as all brands are having difficulty. I lost a Kastaplast Falk that was my main 'driver'. Couldn't find them anywhere as they are out of stock....a friend told me about Par Plastics and I was able to get one there. But Kastaplast is teaming up with Latitude 64 and Lat64 will be making the Kastaplast discs....when? Who knows? Will Lat64's version be the same as Kasta's? Who knows?

Brands are having a tough time with the supply chain and have to choose what they can make....and are having trouble keeping anything in stock. The big ones (Innova, Discraft, Lat64) are being pretty good at keeping stock available...but even then the mold might not be consistent or their stock is "limited run".

Ha I will echo that, Bogey posted the WSJ article in the Disc golf in the news.. Give that a read. After the Holy shot they basically said " yay and we're f##cked". They produced more discs last year than in the previous 10

If you are desperate for a few more falks check the Canadian market, there was a recent release. My buddy scored me a soft one, at retail nice disc. I bought him one haha went nuts on a FB auction, my backup is $65 haha.

I got over my oop anger but mine was mostly mid based. I never threw the oop drivers except the switch. I also don't get why people can't make whatever slot disappeared work with a fission volt or tesla. I get the crave disappointment but I'm happier throwing a 165 volt. Or a 162 fission tesla for more beef.

I was hoping the rhythm was a relay OS I wasn't expecting -3 on a 7 speed.

It seems like a bit of harsh take IMO. It's not like they specifically targeted your line-up. I am sure, just like any business, they evaluate what sells and what doesn't in combination with what is in need of update. They seem intentionally focused on maintaining a modern/updated lineup as opposed to continuing to make small runs of low popularity discs.

I throw gyro because of the quality/consistency factor but also because of the science. So much of disc golf is about the archer not the arrow so the realized difference of the gyroscopic technology MVP is employing is not always tangible. But it's there nevertheless and I love aerodynamics and all things that fly so I really enjoy throwing gyro. If I didn't have that sort of preference I think I would have a more open bag

There's two big issues I have with this though. When they completed the great mold massacre, they said they were OOPing some discs not because they weren't popular, but because they "learned how to make discs better with modern technology" and were going to take the opportunity to redesign some of them for a more modern feel, but give us replacements. So far they have given us the Paradox, which replaces nothing that was OOP'd as it's waaay less stable than anything else that was being produced, the Uplink, close ish to the Theory I guess, the Hex, which is probably the closest to an OOP'd mold with the Axis. And finally we have the Rhythm, which again, what is it replacing? We didn't lose a fairway that understable.

The other issue though is the Crave, and to a lesser extent some discs that had similar adjustments, which was one of their best selling discs. They decided it wasn't flying as "intended" and made it less stable. It was one of their BEST SELLING DISCS! Stupid decision. Just absolutely awful, really. It's one thing to adjust a less popular mold, but to adjust something everyone likes, on purpose, it just doesn't do much for consumer confidence.

As stated in my above response, I am not talking about being able to find discs in stock, I am talking about MVP making poor decisions on the current lineup of their discs that don't exactly Inspire my confidence in their future decision making abilities. Not only do they make poor decisions on making adjustments to their molds, but, they also are starting to seem a little deceitful to me in their "openness" to their fans. They claim to be very open, and I've always appreciated that in the past, but seeing some of these teasers, either they're using bad pictures, or something else, but there's a lot of us who know a good amount of info on disc design to at least get a decent interpretation on what we're looking at. It feels like they've gotten worse at this lately even. They used to tease new "overstable" or "understable" discs. Now they'll tease discs without info, everyone speculates wildly, hopes for the replacements that they promised (see above rant), and get disappointed when they turn out to be different. And this has happened multiple times, yet MVP still doesn't want to reveal any data on upcoming new releases. Why? What does it hurt? Are other manufacturers going to suddenly have a market advantage because they know MVP is going to release an understable fairway at some point? It's kind of ridiculous, and manages expectations for fans very poorly.

Ha I will echo that, Bogey posted the WSJ article in the Disc golf in the news.. Give that a read. After the Holy shot they basically said " yay and we're f##cked". They produced more discs last year than in the previous 10

If you are desperate for a few more falks check the Canadian market, there was a recent release. My buddy scored me a soft one, at retail nice disc. I bought him one haha went nuts on a FB auction, my backup is $65 haha.

I got over my oop anger but mine was mostly mid based. I never threw the oop drivers except the switch. I also don't get why people can't make whatever slot disappeared work with a fission volt or tesla. I get the crave disappointment but I'm happier throwing a 165 volt. Or a 162 fission tesla for more beef.

I was hoping the rhythm was a relay OS I wasn't expecting -3 on a 7 speed.

So yeah, as stated, it's not about availability, it's dumb decisions. There's a few discs that MVP just doesn't make currently that they used to. There is no 7/5/0/1 disc like the Crave used to be. There is no 7/4/-.5/2.5 disc like the Clash used to be. The Crave has somewhat replaced what the Inspire was, so Yay? except the loss of the Crave is worse than the gain of the Inspire 2.0.

And, re fission Volts, I'm not really a fan of fission plastic, and while it's not a lot more expensive, I don't feel like paying more for a plastic I don't really care all that much for.

Good points, haha if you get out of the gyro lemme know haha!

If it gets real desperate I've got a 165 pp crave white with a pink rim.

I get your pain, I've noticed the understable releases don't get the revelry of the stables. There's been a few times like the uplink where I think Man yeah, or the spin haha. Most of the torque monkeys hate it. I'd go for a Moose dig but he's got skills and a sense of humour so I will pass this time. It's all Hex which is good, no doubt, I'm digging the Uplink as well because it was a hole I wanted filled but no great press I snagged a ton of gyropalooza uplinks fairly cheap.

Still no good understable semi neutral disc, the echo might fill it but the way I see it we still have a bit of a wild gap between the uplink and hex.

So is this catering to the newbs they were un prepared for?
Are these just discs they have wanted to make for a while and hadn't got around to?

Who knows... you are right though the paradox is a very low market appeal, I think part of it is the satisfaction of building a truly flippy gyro mid. Which is amazing for a flip turd. The "razors edge" is fat enough so an ant can walk across it and not be OB. :D if I had had a paradox before I learned a FH I'd be overjoyed.

Sorry you don't like fission, that's been a staple in my bag to span the weights and stability. Lightweight volts are awesome, I always felt like the crave was a second rate volt.

I say we petition MVP to make the relay X and Crave X in cosmic plastic with their ooopsie settings from their first in house run. Do it on purpose and make cosmic beef-cake.

My cosmic (fr, only run?) Relay's are badass! I would love it if I could rely on a cosmic for some beef. My cosmic plasma volt was nasty OS though..

There's two big issues I have with this though. When they completed the great mold massacre, they said they were OOPing some discs not because they weren't popular, but because they "learned how to make discs better with modern technology" and were going to take the opportunity to redesign some of them for a more modern feel, but give us replacements. So far they have given us the Paradox, which replaces nothing that was OOP'd as it's waaay less stable than anything else that was being produced, the Uplink, close ish to the Theory I guess, the Hex, which is probably the closest to an OOP'd mold with the Axis. And finally we have the Rhythm, which again, what is it replacing? We didn't lose a fairway that understable.

I always support a good rant :D

Last edited:
I say we petition MVP to make the relay X and Crave X in cosmic plastic with their ooopsie settings from their first in house run. Do it on purpose and make cosmic beef-cake.

My cosmic (fr, only run?) Relay's are badass! I would love it if I could rely on a cosmic for some beef. My cosmic plasma volt was nasty OS though..

The only problem is, I think Cosmic is possibly the ugliest way to make a disc. Natural swirls are great, or a nice clean white, but I don't like the pinwheel look.

I do agree though, an X version of the molds would solve a lot of this. Maybe Neutron Soft can be the X version. Heck, even Eclipse, as it tends to mold up more stable anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts