• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

I've spent a little time with my Medium Ion.
The center section is really slippery. It would be cool if the overmold was extended higher up the dome to give a little traction spot for my thumb. Or maybe even a small step like a miniature version of the Rhyno 's thumtrac. It wouldn't have to be big... just a little something extra.

Having said that, I really dig the Ion's flightpaths. Any chance of lighter weights? Low 160s or even 150s?

marmoset said:
Having said that, I really dig the Ion's flightpaths. Any chance of lighter weights? Low 160s or even 150s?
Probably in the future. For now you can get 165g FR IONs at http://www.marshallstreetdiscgolf.com/product/ST-19206/MVP-Soft-Ion/

5 left!

marmoset said:
I've spent a little time with my Medium Ion.
The center section is really slippery. It would be cool if the overmold was extended higher up the dome to give a little traction spot for my thumb. Or maybe even a small step like a miniature version of the Rhyno 's thumtrac. It wouldn't have to be big... just a little something extra.

Mine were all slick when brand new, and some still are. I was just noticing this today when I was doing some putting practice with my whole stack...The ones that were really new felt really slippery. The one that I've been putting with since March is now very grippy though, and the others that have seen some play are much grippier than the new ones as well.

yeah.. I've noticed that as well. I've got some older mediums when they first came out that are a bit tackier. Looking forward to breaking the new ones in. Taking the flash off the bottom really makes them feel nice in the hand too.

discspeed said:
...The ones that were really new felt really slippery... and the others that have seen some play are much grippier...
Well that's good news.
I wonder if the slickeriness comes form the mold release agents still sitting on the surface of the disc?
I gotta go start beating my Ion.

marmoset said:
I wonder if the slickeriness comes form the mold release agents still sitting on the surface of the disc?
this is what i figured but after washing scrubbing mine with all kinds of shit it is still just as slick as day one.....i give up

Jesse B 707 said:
marmoset said:
this is what i figured but after washing scrubbing mine with all kinds of shit it is still just as slick as day one.....i give up

Take it out and play some rounds...It just needs some scratches, sun, grass juice, and whatever else it gets from daily use. Hell Jesse, just use it to break up your mota on...that should work.

discspeed said:
Jesse B 707 said:
marmoset said:

Take it out and play some rounds...It just needs some scratches, sun, grass juice, and whatever else it gets from daily use. Hell Jesse, just use it to break up your mota on...that should work.
:lol: that may be the thing to do, as far as playing with them, they have seen upwards of 20 or so rounds but its pretty hard to suffer through those rounds where it slips out early on EVERY putt I throw, I guess I'm just not committed enough (read as: not sponsored by the company)

The Ions are kind of like KC Aviars...Those are super slick when new as well, but get really grippy with time. Climo actually leaves them outside in the sun, rain, weather in his backyard for at least a year before he considers adding them to his bag. The only one of mine that is truly grippy is my primary putter that I've been using since Feb/Mar and is actually faded from the sun. It feels awesome.

discspeed said:
The Ions are kind of like KC Aviars...Those are super slick when new as well, but get really grippy with time. Climo actually leaves them outside in the sun, rain, weather in his backyard for at least a year before he considers adding them to his bag. The only one of mine that is truly grippy is my primary putter that I've been using since Feb/Mar and is actually faded from the sun. It feels awesome.
Yeah I've had wizards and kc's that I've had to beat the slick off of before, ions just start slicker and take longer to beat so its a tough commitment to make

Another "I didn't like the starting grip slip but it got better" here. Maybe rubbing a bunch of sand around the rim might speed the process up?

My first couple of months putting with my Ions I kept stressing to Chad that I wanted a baseline Ion, and once in a while I felt like I was kind of making myself use a urethane putter. At this point I don't think I'd switch even if they do come out with a baseline version. I love mine that much. I just feel like it's the most consistent and effortless putter I've ever used. Practicing in my backyard I knock one down after another, every putt looking exactly the same regardless of distance. I just put that little bit of pop and spin and the Ion does the rest. It has added an easy 10'+ of distance to my standstill straddle, and I'm barely jump putting at all anymore...Basically like going lighter without the wind sensitivity. It cleans my occasional dirty releases to minimize damage as well.

I also hit basket today with my new stamped red Ion.

When I was using Ions the slickness kept bothering me so eventually I took the two driving ones I had and rubbed them upsidedown on some loose dirt near a teepad for like 2 minutes. That really helped get rid of the slickness. I know this is not for everyone.

Play like me and trade for used ones. I have one medium that is perfect (its been the only putter in my bag, driving and putting duties for 5 weeks or so now). Admittedly I like a little slip on my putter putter (which is why I was putting cryz challengers)

I've been keeping an eye on what people are saying about the Ion and the top thing I hear is how the flight plate feels slick.

Would MVP gain with providing different types for the inside core ? ... What would it take to please the players who despise putting with "Premium" plastic ??

(if this discussion has already happened... please lead me to the page that it's on)

Can't wait for things to come.

Glow Ions, pretty please? It would look so bitchin' with the new stamp and black overmold.

Latest posts