• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

JR said:
And IIRC discspeed mentioned somewhere he uses 15 degree initial hyzer on hard throws to flip to flat. That is more than i like and incidentally close or exactly what i need when throwing the hardest to flip to flat.

I don't think that I ever said that about the Ion. I actually rip my Ions high with a touch of anny for max D as they do not get any high speed turn for me unless there is a headwind. You've got to be arming those without any spin (spin stabilizes them...I can throw them into the wind as long as I snap them without arming them).

Doh! That's what i get for waking up before 3 AM and posting after work cross eyed. Now how was it that i was thinking of with the 15 degree hyzer part or did i dream up that? Yawn sleepy time time.

I have obviously some spin because i've gotten it to over 300' on occasion but most of the longer throws haven't been full efforts and have had later acceleration with a harder elbow chop and especially wrist snap. I'm just too inconsistent to do that each time so more HSS discs suit me better now as a patch until i develop more consistency.

I've added a Rhyno to my Ion mix. Its been working great when I don't have to finesse my drives. The Ion is still taking primary putting and approaching, but before I drive I'm considering the Rhyno based on the room I have. I love the fact that I can lay into the Rhyno and not worry about where its going. Dead straight its still gotta be the Ion though.

I've been messing around with actually putting with Ions instead of voodoos. They have very similar flights, and both will hold dead straight for a long time. I really just hate the inner plastic when it gets at all wet. I've only used mediums. Are the softs any better. Are the new production softs comparable to the mediums in stability, or are they still quite a bit less stable when new?

On a unrelated note, I really feel like the Ridge is such a great compliment to the Ion. I think you could actually get by with either disc by itself, if you're into the minimalism, but the Ridge really has most of the strong points that I think the Ion lacks. Its really good into the wind, it has a consistent and reasonably strong LS fade, and it doesn't glide as far as the Ion. In most situations, I always know exactly which disc is better suited for the shot. Sometimes I almost feel like the Ion overlaps with my Buzzzes more than my Ridges, since I throw Ions about 300', and Buzzzes about 325'.

i also am not a fan of the M plastic unless its very warm outside so its a bit tackier and feels great. But wet, dust etc all make the grip terrible. So ima get a soft and check that out for putting and prolly use the M for approach and short drive duties

Just got two new IONs, blue soft and medium. Threw the medium a couple of times, seemed more LSS than my others. Got back home and compared it to my others and it's definitely higher PLH. This might be a good thing, I'll have to properly try it out at the course tomorrow.

discspeed said:
JR said:
And IIRC discspeed mentioned somewhere he uses 15 degree initial hyzer on hard throws to flip to flat. That is more than i like and incidentally close or exactly what i need when throwing the hardest to flip to flat.

I don't think that I ever said that about the Ion. I actually rip my Ions high with a touch of anny for max D as they do not get any high speed turn for me unless there is a headwind.
Same here.

jubuttib said:
Just got two new IONs, blue soft and medium. Threw the medium a couple of times, seemed more LSS than my others. Got back home and compared it to my others and it's definitely higher PLH. This might be a good thing, I'll have to properly try it out at the course tomorrow.

PLH gets complicate with the Ion because both the core and overmold have PLH, but you can't see the undermold's PLH. I'd say it's pretty safe to say however that if the overmold is higher the Ion will be more overstable (it exposes more of the bead).

Marauder said:
I'm a noob. What's PLH? maybe I missed it somewhere but I need an abbreviation cheat sheet.

PLH stands for parting line hight. The line around the disc where the two mold pieces come together. Depending on the cooling environment that line can either be higher or lower. This can make a disc either more or less stable.

It's this business:
Jeronimo said:
overstable striker on left, normal striker everyone knows and loves on right
StrikervsStriker.jpg

overstable vision on left, understable vision on right
VisionvsVision.jpg
That's probably the most extreme example I can find quickly. The higher PLH ones on the left are more stable than the low PLH ones on the right.

It's not really that much about the height of the parting line, it's more the whole wing. PLH is still a nice term to throw around.

wow.. it's insane how air temperature coming out of the mold and cooling can effect a disc that much. I scuffed up one of my new stamped ions today. sad :(

It's not only air temperature and cooling, it can be plastic batches, mishaps while molding, anything really. It happens.

I'm putting better than I ever have in my life right now, and the Ion has got to have something to do with that. Today I shot a personal best for one of my home courses at our morning handicap...I came closer to a perfect putting round than I have in recent memory. I missed one 25'er for birdie, but other than that I was perfect inside 50' and bogey free. I also parked 4 holes off the tee with my Ions. It has now become hands down the most important disc in my bag, and sees a higher percentage of my throws during a round than any disc I've ever used.

I've gotten a lot of help from the Climo grip to the point of needing to practice more. When i don't push too hard in wrong ways i got a tighter grouping and less flippage out my three Ions than Rocs and Buzzzes. And almost as much D. Just not on the average. Even on too low throws flippage wasn't a problem with hard throws. That is promising indeed and better what i get with Rocs. But it's a weird relation between me and the Roc. And despite that it is a nice performance out of a putter indeed considering how high the bar is set with the Roc. Too bad the weather is turning to even more challenging for primo plastic flight plates i'm afraid of not getting realistic results soon thanks to the moisture and cold weather. I will keep on pushing with taming the Ion because it is the longest low fade putter that isn't very negative HSS.

Latest posts