• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

I usually carry a Ridge along with the IONs, but lately I've been playing putter rounds with only IONs and only really heavy headwinds have proved to be troublesome.

Wabbajack said:
yea i guess i meant overstable, it just seems like my ions get thrown around way too much in the wind but my wizards don't. do you guys carry a complement to your ions for wind or do i just need to not throw with so much oat?

I got a Zone to go with my proto soft for tricky shots and wind, but I also got a KC Aviar on the way as well as some med Ions that I'll probably use more for that slot. Ions are great for nice straght shots anny and hyzer, but a overstable putter is always nice to have.

Wabbajack said:
yea i guess i meant overstable, it just seems like my ions get thrown around way too much in the wind but my wizards don't. do you guys carry a complement to your ions for wind or do i just need to not throw with so much oat?

Whenever I have switched putter drivers in the past I've always had an adjustment period ironing out a little OAT caused by throwing a slightly different shaped disc. This probably happens with all new drivers/mids as well, but the putters show it a lot more. Anyway, once I get more experience most putters get more overstable for me. My medium Ions have just a touch of high speed turn into headwinds, but if I start them with more than 15 degrees of hyzer I've never had them flip on me. They just get slowed down and pushed around (just like any slow, high profile disc, Wizards included).

Anyone else tear it up FH with their Ion? I get more comments like "I've never seen anyone flick a putter like that" with the Ion than anything else. I was playing with a FH dominant player today who had some skillz, and he was commenting on my FH approaches. If you didn't see my release, you'd think I was left handed because my FH approaches with my Ion look exactly the same as my BH. I've also put at least a dozen in from outside 50' FH with my Ions this year.

discspeed said:
Anyone else tear it up FH with their Ion? I get more comments like "I've never seen anyone flick a putter like that" with the Ion than anything else. I was playing with a FH dominant player today who had some skillz, and he was commenting on my FH approaches. If you didn't see my release, you'd think I was left handed because my FH approaches with my Ion look exactly the same as my BH. I've also put at least a dozen in from outside 50' FH with my Ions this year.

Playing with Shaun Edson? A buddy who just moved to the west coast.

rodman20 said:
discspeed said:

Playing with Shaun Edson? A buddy who just moved to the west coast.

Nah...I think his name was Bill and he was from Oklahoma City. I don't think I've met Shaun, but I'll keep an eye out at doubles tonight.

discspeed said:
Anyone else tear it up FH with their Ion?

I haven't got much of a FH shot, but I tried about a hundred footer with a soft Ion today thanks to a tree in the way. I got a comfortable FH grip set very easily and sent the disc on its merry way. I was laying up because I wasn't sure exactly where the Ion would go and ended up 5' short of the basket. It looked very much like I very lightly BH'd it, but reversed. Just perfect. My next two FH Ion shots weren't quite as excellent, but still very good, very much a shot I'm going to practice some more and use a lot.

discspeed said:

Hey discspeed, do you ever take any video? I've been working on my FH approaches with the help of some ultimate videos since there aren't a lot of FH approach videos kicking around. Would love to see some video of a person who golfs a lot (you!) and use FH approach very comfortably.

Forehand is the one place my ion is lacking the most. My normal forehand putter grip (learned with wizards, worked great with rhynos, translated well to challengers) tends to slip with my med (preferred) ion. I am working with different grips. The flight I get on a good throw is great.

Hello Everyone!

We are excited to say that hot stamped Ions are now going to be available! (And don't worry, blank discs will still be available for those who prefer blank discs.)

We do apologize for the delay in finalizing the hotstamp, however, we will admit our excuse for this delay is that we have been extremely busy with several major projects going underway at MVP Disc Sports 8)

A few pics:
vfjkeu.jpg

2icbokg.jpg

~Chad

Oh man makes me wish I had held of on the two ION's i just picked up. Once i see if i like the Med or Soft better, im gonna have to grab a few stamped ones.

josser said:
discspeed said:

Hey discspeed, do you ever take any video? I've been working on my FH approaches with the help of some ultimate videos since there aren't a lot of FH approach videos kicking around. Would love to see some video of a person who golfs a lot (you!) and use FH approach very comfortably.

My most consistent golfing partner is my 7 month old daughter, and I'm pretty sure all she can do with a camera is drool on it. I might be able to talk Scott from CDGS into coming out with me this week and doing some camera work since I know he's got a nice camera and likes to do that kind of stuff.

BTW, those new stamped Ions look great!!! I can't wait to get my hands on a couple...

discspeed said:
My most consistent golfing partner is my 7 month old daughter, and I'm pretty sure all she can do with a camera is drool on it.

Where you you put her? You know, since you put your other babies (your discs) in the stroller.... 8)

ForeverBlue232 said:
discspeed said:
My most consistent golfing partner is my 7 month old daughter, and I'm pretty sure all she can do with a camera is drool on it.

Where you you put her? You know, since you put your other babies (your discs) in the stroller.... 8)

I have another jogging stroller and she rides shotgun and I hang my bag off the handle. It works just as well as my DG stroller (and it has better brakes...I don't want to feed the gators :wink: ).

discspeed said:
ForeverBlue232 said:
discspeed said:

I have another jogging stroller and she rides shotgun and I hang my bag off the handle. It works just as well as my DG stroller (and it has better brakes...I don't want to feed the gators :wink: ).

Man, those were the days. Once my daughter started walking she wasn't as keen on sitting in a stroller for a round. Now with 2 girls under 4, no way do I even try and take them on the course. I took them both to the field to do some field work the other day and it worked alright for a bit, the oldest would practice her fh shot and the youngest was happy handing me discs out of my bag. Only lasted for about 15 min. though before decent among the ranks set in.

Worm 28 said:
We do apologize for the delay in finalizing the hotstamp, however, we will admit our excuse for this delay is that we have been extremely busy with several major projects going underway at MVP Disc Sports 8)

Best news of the day right here.

Nice! Looks like the circle size you guys wanted was dead on!

I know there's a lot of love for the blanks, and I love 'em too. This stamp area is significantly smaller than any other brand's right now, and it's for pure aesthetic reasons, not lack of stamping area. I think it looks really sharp.

Glad y'all got the kinks worked out. Can't wait to fire up my MVP files again soon :D

Does the black one have a black stamp? That's awesome!

Can we expect other stamp colors in the future? I think chrome colored stamps are always pimp.