• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

someone compare the ION to the wizard for approach, off the tee and putting for me plz, does it glide/float better for putting compared to the wiz?

Roc Lover said:
someone compare the ION to the wizard for approach, off the tee and putting for me plz, does it glide/float better for putting compared to the wiz?

Go back one page.

Roc Lover said:

Ion is straight, out of the box. Wizards' got to be beat up a little. I think the Ion glides better- goes further with less effort. And the Ion is way more durable. Putting-wize, the Ion stays in the basket better. I know that sounds weird, but I've had a few crazy angle putts that stayed in somehow, I'm not sure if it's the outer "electron" rim material, or the gyroscopic whateverness that makes this disc what it is.

Flipflat said:
Roc Lover said:

Ion is straight, out of the box. Wizards' got to be beat up a little. I think the Ion glides better- goes further with less effort. And the Ion is way more durable. Putting-wize, the Ion stays in the basket better. I know that sounds weird, but I've had a few crazy angle putts that stayed in somehow, I'm not sure if it's the outer "electron" rim material, or the gyroscopic whateverness that makes this disc what it is.
All pretty spot on......except the stay in the basket better part, that's bullshit, ions are WAY more likely to spin out if you hit left side chains (rhbh) due to the super grip of the overmold, they also have some issues with hitting pole and bouncing right back out

Jesse B 707 said:
Flipflat said:
Roc Lover said:

All pretty spot on......except the stay in the basket better part, that's bullshit, ions are WAY more likely to spin out if you hit left side chains (rhbh) due to the super grip of the overmold, they also have some issues with hitting pole and bouncing right back out

Wow, really? Well, mabe it's just me. I've been making some crazy putts since I've got the Ion, couple of days ago it snagged a chain on what I figured would be a blow-by off to the right, and crashed in to the basket. But it might just be my ill skillzzz.

Roc Lover said:

Chad (Ion inventor) was a Wizard thrower before he created the Ion. He told me a story about how he experimented with weight distribution by taping weights on the center and then towards the outside of an ultralight Wizard, and he noticed it glided better and had a truer stability when the weight was distributed to the outside of the disc. He also wanted to mold it in premium plastic, so he wanted to make it straighter out of the box than a Wizard. So he found a way to distribute more weight to the outer edge and the Ion was born.

Jesse B 707 said:

This is not an entirely fair assessment. I've been putting with the medium Ions exclusively longer than anyone, and I've practiced quite a bit with them. I agree with the spin outs on the right side, especially if you putt w/hyzer and a lot of spin. My style (flat pitch, just enough spin to fly) minimizes this type of miss. They also will come out off the pole, but no more than a KC Aviar or firm/stiffer soft Wizard. What Jesse probably didn't use Ions long enough to notice is that the over mold really grips the chains and pulls the disc in in many situations. Good putts just right of the pole almost always drop (like with just about any putter in the sweet spot). Not so good putts that hit the outside of the right side of the chains get pulled in more than most putters. Also, more high putts (hitting S links) stick with the Ions than any other putter I've used...I'm not exactly sure why this happens, but I've seen it so much it's undeniable.

Its spin outs on the left (for a righty) that the grippy rim makes a little worse. However the number of putts that catch right side that would normally spit completely make up for it. Not to mention how straight the putter is makes it easier to keep it center chains.

with all the new Lat64 and Vibram stuff MVP seems to be on the backburner. are they coming out with something (baseline putter/mid) soon ish? i can't wait to see what's next for them.

All I can say is THANK YOU Chad!! The mediums (haven't tried the softs) have kicked the Wizards out of my bag in terms of driving for me. I also really dig the rounded inner rim as it gives a smoother release for driving. At least to me anyway. My biggest concern is wet play and wondering if the softs would be better for grip. The mediums I think could be a little too slick since I really can't "dig" into them with my grip. Does anybody out there have experiecne with both the soft and mediums in wet weather?

Wabbajack said:
with all the new Lat64 and Vibram stuff MVP seems to be on the backburner. are they coming out with something (baseline putter/mid) soon ish? i can't wait to see what's next for them.

Chad is busy with MVP stuff...That's all I know, but I think it sort of answers your question. I don't think Vibram has anything really competing with the Ion either.

dvlcek said:
All I can say is THANK YOU Chad!! The mediums (haven't tried the softs) have kicked the Wizards out of my bag in terms of driving for me. I also really dig the rounded inner rim as it gives a smoother release for driving. At least to me anyway. My biggest concern is wet play and wondering if the softs would be better for grip. The mediums I think could be a little too slick since I really can't "dig" into them with my grip. Does anybody out there have experiecne with both the soft and mediums in wet weather?
Yes, both are slippery, like candy plastic tends to be. Have towels handy and grind your grip a bit before throwing, there is a phase when they stick like glue as you rub.

dvlcek said:

The softs will grip better in cooler weather, but not when wet. I've played with my mediums in the rain and they were fine as long as I kept them dry. I throw all premium plastic, so keeping my plastic dry in the rain is a must anyway.

Cool, kind of what I expected to hear. Probably still get a couple of softs with the cooler weather right around the corner.

I've been favoring my softs now that it's got to around 35-40 degrees Fahrenheit. The mediums still work very well though if I manage to keep my hands warm and breath on the disc before throwing.

discspeed said:
Wabbajack said:

Chad is busy with MVP stuff...That's all I know, but I think it sort of answers your question. I don't think Vibram has anything really competing with the Ion either.

i didn't mean direct competition, just that they have the ascent coming out soon and they are new to the disc golf world as well, i just want to see more people talking about MVP because they have quality stuff.

are the production ions more comparable to wizards now? i have an early run soft (messed up bead which is awesome) and a couple earlyish mediums and they are somewhat stable but not where it would replace a wizard for driving.

Wabbajack said:
are the production ions more comparable to wizards now? i have an early run soft (messed up bead which is awesome) and a couple earlyish mediums and they are somewhat stable but not where it would replace a wizard for driving.

I think the first run Mediums (blue) are a tiny bit more stable than most the production runs, but they are essentially the same. They can take a lot of power without flipping and Chad and I both felt that they were as stable as all Wizards but the most overstable versions when brand new. Since the plastic breaks in very, very slowly, they don't want the Ion to be too overstable out of the box.

Wabbajack said:
Did you mean "stable" or "overstable"? IONs are plenty stable compared to Wizards, they're just less overstable, don't fade as much.

yea i guess i meant overstable, it just seems like my ions get thrown around way too much in the wind but my wizards don't. do you guys carry a complement to your ions for wind or do i just need to not throw with so much oat?

Latest posts