• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

I won a soft eclipse ion at my last event. The core is raise about a 1/16 incorrect slightly more over the overmold. Kinda weird. Its got a lot more turn than any other ion I've thrown minus the 1st production runs. Kinda bummed, bit it'll make a good disc for my son

dgdave said:
I won a soft eclipse ion at my last event. The core is raise about a 1/16 incorrect slightly more over the overmold. Kinda weird. Its got a lot more turn than any other ion I've thrown minus the 1st production runs. Kinda bummed, bit it'll make a good disc for my son
Woah, a new understable ION? Man, I wish I could find those. =(

I love my blue and orange soft IONs with the overmold down low, but don't really dare play with them that much (especially on our course), because I don't want to lose them. Being able to get something akin to them new would be pretty great.

Leopard said:
Ha, Nano's not an April Fools' joke. I believe the news they've got for the fans is so freaking exciting that any speculation anxiety around the Nano will seem delightfully insignificant. Read this again in a few days, and then again later, and accept my apologies for being a vague little girl about it. Back to work!
Now's a good time to quote this.

jubuttib said:
Steve said:
mvp tensor = overstable mid
Are the new Vectors that neutral or why would you need a more overstable mid?

I'm really preferring the N Vectors over the Protons, and they are certainly more neutral. Either way, if you throw most Vectors flat and as hard as they want to be thrown they fly straight with a late fade.

I'm reserving judgement until I get the Tensor in the hand. Not a big fan of overstable mids, but to be honest there aren't a whole lot of good ones out there between the Roc family and it's clones and the ridiculous (Drone, Demon, most Gators).

Is it just me or did the profile look like it was in the Zone family? Never thrown a zone so I'm not 100% sure, but that was what I was thinking when I saw it.

Crosseyed0811 said:
Is it just me or did the profile look like it was in the Zone family? Never thrown a zone so I'm not 100% sure, but that was what I was thinking when I saw it.

Here's a good illustration. Sort of Zonish, but large diameter with a little better aerodynamics.
TensorvsVector.jpg

discspeed said:
I'm really preferring the N Vectors over the Protons, and they are certainly more neutral. Either way, if you throw most Vectors flat and as hard as they want to be thrown they fly straight with a late fade.
Sounds like a slightly straighter flat orange FR Vector. The only Vectors I've put in my bag so far have been the domey FR ones, which were quite severely overstable. I do have a pink N Vector though and I'm eager to get to give it a go. =)

Got my first round and some fieldwork in with the Tensor and Tangent, and I have to say I'm really pleasantly surprised. Especially the Tangent seemed like a fantastic disc, it looks like a large diameter Anode with an Ion bead, and flies like a putter the size of a mid. A tiny turn when thrown hard, after that it just holds and holds. It's almost good enough to go into the bag, kinda a shame the D-MD2 already exists...

The Tensor also feels and flies really nice, I had to get a light one (they didn't have heavy pinks) but it can take a rip without any problems, and has a nice, relentless kind of fade, but a very smooth one. It really likes flying on flex lines, and when thrown flat will always fade consistently. Wasn't expecting to like it this much. Still need more work with both of them, but initial impressions are very favorable.

Just a shame the drivers are so iffy, the Volt does about what I expected (basically it flies like my DGR S-FD), the Shock I got is just pointless (more turn and more fade than the Volt, but the fade comes in really late so this one is more prone to turning and burning than the Volt), and since the Volt and the Shock are this understable already the Amp really isn't exciting me at all. Still, gotta catch 'em all...

16gena0.jpg

Still need to find a pink Amp and a pink Nano (got a blue one, the best flying and easiest to throw non-meathook mini I've ever tried) and then I'll have the whole set. Also been eyeballing the 2nd run Shocks, I understand they should be more overstable, so probably more useful as well. If that panned out I'd have a pretty workable pink Neutron bag, I love both of the putters and could probably cover almost any mid shot with a Tensor, Vector and Tangent, and with a straight to overstable Shock I could also handle quite a few driver shots as well...

I have only a few throws with the Tangent and i played on an unfamiliar course without distance markings so i have no idea about the distance. I could not develop turn on a wet grassy course so i have no idea about what it will do on a full power throw. The fade came in superbly late and being very mild. It seems like a straighter Z Buzz fade wise neither turning on me or a slower non flipping probably shorter Coyote considering the glide is not better with the Tangent -not a lot less either at 176.

I picked up a black 168g Eclipse Volt and a red 172 Eclipse Tangent. The Volt was extremely understable... DX Leopard type of stability. The Tangent is nice, didn't get to throw it much but seemed similar to my QMS, possibly a bit more understable.

Stringbean said:
I picked up a black 168g Eclipse Volt and a red 172 Eclipse Tangent. The Volt was extremely understable... DX Leopard type of stability. The Tangent is nice, didn't get to throw it much but seemed similar to my QMS, possibly a bit more understable.

The Volt is overrated and overhyped. It is not near as good as people make it out to be.

sunspot said:
The Volt is overrated and overhyped. It is not near as good as people make it out to be.
Based on my experiences? Yeah. It's nothing magical, but it is a good disc, and there's hope that in the future MVP will be very consistent with it, which is a reason to use it all by itself.

Stringbean said:

Ok another data point supporting that there are different kinds of Tangents out there and that i got a more overstable one at least in the high speed part. QMS flips for me the Tangent does not seem to although the course i played does not demand full power rips so that is yet to be checked out. I've gotten to around 90 % power generation without flipping though.

JR said:
Stringbean said:

Ok another data point supporting that there are different kinds of Tangents out there and that i got a more overstable one at least in the high speed part. QMS flips for me the Tangent does not seem to although the course i played does not demand full power rips so that is yet to be checked out. I've gotten to around 90 % power generation without flipping though.

From what I've found, the Tangent likes to be thrown on whatever angle you want it to fly on. You can intentionally flip it with some OAT, but even on full power throws it doesn't like to flip if thrown cleanly. I've collected about 7 from different sources at this point and the only differences I've seen are that the orange N is the flattest, lighter weights glide a bit better, Proton is just a tad more stable at the end of the flight and glides better. I guess I'm fortunate not to have received one that I would consider really understable. For me this disc is just plain straight and reliable.

discmonkey42 said:
JR said:
Stringbean said:

From what I've found, the Tangent likes to be thrown on whatever angle you want it to fly on. You can intentionally flip it with some OAT, but even on full power throws it doesn't like to flip if thrown cleanly. I've collected about 7 from different sources at this point and the only differences I've seen are that the orange N is the flattest, lighter weights glide a bit better, Proton is just a tad more stable at the end of the flight and glides better. I guess I'm fortunate not to have received one that I would consider really understable. For me this disc is just plain straight and reliable.

I probably worded it wrong above, overall both are straight and stable mids. In my experience they both have a very small amount of HSS turn, for me the Tangent had a bit more than the QMS but neither is understable on the whole.

jubuttib said:
sunspot said:
Based on my experiences? Yeah. It's nothing magical, but it is a good disc, and there's hope that in the future MVP will be very consistent with it, which is a reason to use it all by itself.

Don't get me wrong, I want MVP to succeed. I don't think the Volt lives up to their potential. I say it is overrated due to the type of praise it receives over at DGCR. It shouldn't surprise coming from there, but it's annoying.

Here's my reasoning why I think the Volt is overrated:

1. It is hard to range. Too much power, it turns and burns; not enough power, it fades out (even with more stable Volts it does this). I'm not saying it is the worst at ranging distances, but it is not that good at it. It is less like a slightly beat Eagle and more like a slightly beat Valkyrie with less distance potential.

2. The rim width (2.0) should create the potential to go further, but I find it flying like a speed 7/8. I can throw smaller rim discs as far or further than the Volt. I don't think I can ever break 400 ft with a Volt, but I can get the PD to 400ft on a good rip.

3. The shallowness of the rim doesn't bother me as much as the combination of the shallowness and the slanted rim. It doesn't feel as comfortable to grip.

I wanted to like the Volt but couldn't find myself to be satisfied with it.

In my humble opinion, they need to make a less slanted, normal feeling disc that can pushed out further without being too squirrelly. That's why I like slightly beaten EXs and SPDs so much. You can realize it on a hyzer and let it flip up and turn and come back reliably. The EXs can be pushed out further without being too squirrelly. Whether this requires them to make a disc with a smaller rim, I don't know, but I do know that I don't like the Volt.

Latest posts