• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn't agree with this more. Threw them against the first ones I got and there is a complete night and day difference in them.

You can't really compare PLHs too much between different molds. Different wing shapes cause the different PLHs to act differently. A high PLH on an Amp may cause it to be more stable that a Shock with a low PLH, but is still higher than the Amp's.

So what testers are reporting is that the disc is significantly different. Which is good...

But don't get me wrong, I am not:
  • picking on MVP/UPS (I too am an MVP fanboy)
  • trying to derail the thread
  • open a can of worms
  • trolling

At what point do mold tweaks require the need of PDGA re-certification?

Maybe all manufacturers do it to an extent, but come on, what was originally designed and approved is changed to something else. IMO, it makes the PDGA approval process and the whole notion of what's legal and what isn't or shouldn't be legal, complete bunk.

I appreciate that discs fly differently for different peple. But aren't tweaks to a mold a loophole? Shouldn't manufacturers be held to making what was initially approved? Don't send it in for approval until you are ready!!!!

Aside - Who knows what Prodigy's D1-4 line will be in a couple years, they are all approved now but will likely be changed.

It's not like they are changing the mold completely. The wing is still almost the exact same, just with a slightly higher PLH. I believe someone asked Chuck that same question once, but I don't remember what he said in response.

So what testers are reporting is that the disc is significantly different. Which is good...

But don't get me wrong, I am not:
  • picking on MVP/UPS (I too am an MVP fanboy)
  • trying to derail the thread
  • open a can of worms
  • trolling

At what point do mold tweaks require the need of PDGA re-certification?

Maybe all manufacturers do it to an extent, but come on, what was originally designed and approved is changed to something else. IMO, it makes the PDGA approval process and the whole notion of what's legal and what isn't or shouldn't be legal, complete bunk.

I appreciate that discs fly differently for different peple. But aren't tweaks to a mold a loophole? Shouldn't manufacturers be held to making what was initially approved? Don't send it in for approval until you are ready!!!!

Aside - Who knows what Prodigy's D1-4 line will be in a couple years, they are all approved now but will likely be changed.

First of all, the mold hasnt changed.

From my understanding there are test molds that have the same PLH as the New "fixed" Shocks.

There was simply a molding inconsistency with the first runs they made, that was fixed in the new runs.

So its the same disc that was initially meant to be made and approved by PDGA. They just had some freaks with the first runs like they always do.

At least they publicly admited to the inconsistency and have fixed it within a week of release, that says a LOT about MVP. :)

Also, Mike C said he has a test Shock that has higher PLH like the new ones and it flies like intended, so there is evidence they intended it to be like this from the start.

:popcorn:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but how does anyone know how exactly they are able to change the PLH? I think it's great that they've listened to feedback and are making tweaks, but I'm curious about how the actual process works. Is it some kind of spacer, a mold change, or something that is done while the disc is cooling?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but how does anyone know how exactly they are able to change the PLH? I think it's great that they've listened to feedback and are making tweaks, but I'm curious about how the actual process works. Is it some kind of spacer, a mold change, or something that is done while the disc is cooling?

With their discs being a two part mold, it actually seems to be easier to change the PLH of their discs than other single mold companies. They can adjust how high/low the overmold sits on the core, whereas other companies would have to make a completely new mold it would seem.

Yeah I'm not experienced in the plastic manufacturing business, but in paper engineering and converting it really only takes small machine adjustments to change critical aspects of the part. I imagine it's not much different for plastic, changing the PLH would just require adjusting certain parameters on their machines...though I could be wrong.

The thing I wonder is now how high of a PLH could you find? I imagine that like anything else there will always be inherent amounts of variation in production quality, even if it cannot be seen by the human eye (I don't know how exact they are in their exact process). I guess I'm just curious to see a comparison between the lowest PLH of an early run and a higher end PLH of the newer run and see how different they really are.

#nerdquestions

Hah, that's awesome. I wonder if they really did only have to raise up the overmold or if it required a more in-depth process with the rest of the disc. The only problem I see with this now is being able to identify original runs against the newer runs...particularly with people who don't live anywhere near a vendor. Even though I live within an hour of 4 or 5 MVP vendors I still probably would have to bring a disc to examine them both side by side to make sure I'm buying the right mold...

Looks like I'll get some work out of my Zam/Skullboy signed #20/30 after all!

I like to have half of the outer ring black and the other half white. Just help me to gauge the amount of spin and it is fun to look it's flight. I plan to use white permanent marker on the half of black outer ring. I was wondering if there is good way to make it white via dye, etc other than white permanent marker?

I figured it would only be a matter of time from the earlier vids....now that its on film, are you going to make it in to a gif. And save as your display icon? Lol

Just gotta say that i love my volt, and I cant wait to get some more mvp discs. The shock looks a bit too overstable for my arm right now, but everything else seems pretty solid.

See, I heard they just hired this guy to yell at them until they were overstable.
gunny.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.