• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Resistor

I think I'm sold on this. As a primary forehand thrower, I love my Tensor and Shock. For my arm, the Shock is definitely a distance driver more than a fairway driver. I'm thinking the Resistor should fit nicely between the two as my go-to control/fairway driver.

I'm excited for this disc. I throw the Shock for most of my forehand shots, but I feel like it could use something a little slower for some of the shorter holes at my local course. This looks nice and overstable so it should work great for my forehand throws.

Sorry if this has been mentioned already, but does the Resistor have a Trident 'L' shape flight or a XXX 'C' shape flight?

I'm really interested in this disc, but Tridents have become a favorite in my bag.

Sorry if this has been mentioned already, but does the Resistor have a Trident 'L' shape flight or a XXX 'C' shape flight?

I'm really interested in this disc, but Tridents have become a favorite in my bag.

Similar shaped flight to the Trident, but not really comparable because the Resistor holds a straight line before fading much longer than the Trident.

Tested out a Lt. Blue 173g and a Hot Pink 158g Resistor tonight, they both fly the same.

After looking through a stack of these, they all have the same dome/plh.. super consistent run here.

At my max power i would get the slightest bit of turn, but safe to say the HSS is 0 because it wont hardly flip up no matter how hard i throw it, just likes to go straight for the most part before the fade kicks in. The fade at full power is strong, but not dumpy strong, very controllable and lasts a while. It likes to stop when it hits the ground also, unless you throw it on a low line, then you get a small skip.

I didn't do many powered down throws yet so i cant comment on that.

My rating would be around 7, 5, 0, 2.5

RHBH i was pushing it out about 50' past a fresh domey eclipse vector and it also ended about 25' left.

RH Forehand i was getting the best releases in the first place because of the nice shape of the disc, but they are very OAT resistant, i am not good at forehand, but you wouldn't know it if you watched me throw the resistor.. it is an amazing disc for forehand throws, im going to bag it for that reason alone so i can add forehand to my arsenal. If you have major oat on forehand releases like i do, expect this disc to fight right through it and stay straight.

I only got about 8-10 throws off with each of the 2 resistors before it got dark, but first impressions are that they are going into the bag asap, will have to take them out to compare with the tensor and shock tomorrow and get a better feel for where they fit.

Last edited:
Good review, in4d. I'm heading out to the USDGC Saturday. I'm doubtful but hoping somehow the Proshop that's open for the tournament will have them so I can pick one out instead or ordering online.

I'm one of those people with a crappy forehand so I'll bag the disc just for that too. Can't wait to hear what you think when comparing it to the Tensor and Shock.

That's what was thinking, but im not going to decide there's no place for it until i throw it. For all i know its going to power down well and replace my Tensor for shorter overstable drives and approaches.. Or maybe just be great for forehand shots with tons of oat.

It does look like a spectacular disc, and from the videos it doesn't skip bad either.
By no means did I say I WOULDN'T buy it, just that it's not on my "must rush out and buy" list like a less OS 7 speed driver from MVP will be. I'll probably try one at some point, especially with all the great reviews, but for now I've got a XXX, Firebird, Shock, fresh Champ Teebird, 2013 Ace Race, and Tensor all vying for OS throws. I need to keep beating in the Teebird, like the Ace Race, and have aced with the Tensor, so they get the bulk of the throws. The Firebird gets the thumber tosses, and I try to get the XXX and Shock at least one toss per (casual) round just to try them out. So I'm not sure where the Resistor would fit in that hot mess, although since I'm an MVP driver junkie I'm sure I'll find space once I decide between the Shock and the XXX.

any of your testers need some paypal? I will gladly buy one or two of your 8 resistors. sounds like I'm gonna fall in love with this disc and may be the disc that finally kicks the flick out of my bag

any of your testers need some paypal? I will gladly buy one or two of your 8 resistors. sounds like I'm gonna fall in love with this disc and may be the disc that finally kicks the flick out of my bag

Not testers, just a wholesale order that came in and i decided to take a couple rips in the near by field to see how they fly.

On release day i will put up a sale thread though

Ah just a day away now, so stoked. My brother just got into disc golf as well so I ordered him a proton volt and considering getting him one of these after I've gotten to test one myself

^^ doin that man a disservice by putting a volt in his hands just starting up :confused:

Of all the FW drivers out there, this is a good choice for a newb. (maybe a Leopard would be better if you have very little arm speed/snap)

The Volt is really versatile.

The amp would be better to start then, when he is able to get it to turn, move him up to a volt.

Tested out a Lt. Blue 173g and a Hot Pink 158g Resistor tonight, they both fly the same.

After looking through a stack of these, they all have the same dome/plh.. super consistent run here.

At my max power i would get the slightest bit of turn, but safe to say the HSS is 0 because it wont hardly flip up no matter how hard i throw it, just likes to go straight for the most part before the fade kicks in. The fade at full power is strong, but not dumpy strong, very controllable and lasts a while. It likes to stop when it hits the ground also, unless you throw it on a low line, then you get a small skip.

I didn't do many powered down throws yet so i cant comment on that.

My rating would be around 7, 5, 0, 2.5

RHBH i was pushing it out about 50' past a fresh domey eclipse vector and it also ended about 25' left.

RH Forehand i was getting the best releases in the first place because of the nice shape of the disc, but they are very OAT resistant, i am not good at forehand, but you wouldn't know it if you watched me throw the resistor.. it is an amazing disc for forehand throws, im going to bag it for that reason alone so i can add forehand to my arsenal. If you have major oat on forehand releases like i do, expect this disc to fight right through it and stay straight.

I only got about 8-10 throws off with each of the 2 resistors before it got dark, but first impressions are that they are going into the bag asap, will have to take them out to compare with the tensor and shock tomorrow and get a better feel for where they fit.

Nice write up, I agree with it except I'd put the fade at 3 but thats just nitpicking. I think you'll be happy with how it powers down. Its weird how much glide it has on a 200' drive considering how much of its hang time is spent fading in hard. Its such a good combination of flight attributes, just an incredibly useful mold.

Making the release date a Friday makes no sense to me. Especially for online retailers. Making the release date a Monday would make much more sense, that way customers could order the disc and expect to have it before the weekend. Frustrating.