• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Tangent

Piling onto the "Tangent for approaches" discussion...

I'm looking for discs to audition against my Comet. I'm currently using the Comet for easy distance on longer standstill/approach shots (~100'-150')

Any thoughts on how the Tangent would compare? Would it be easier to range, yet still give me easy distance as compare to a putter? How does it hold anny lines at slower speeds? I'd be curious to hear some thoughts.

It is easier to range since it's more stable and doesn't glide as much, it makes a decent stablish complement to a Comet. At 100-150 I don't think you would benefit from it as much as a light Ion, the feeling I get is that they feel pretty stable until after about 150' that's the range I use it for as a stable putter. Its more like a broken in Buzzz.

Nothing handles like a Comet.:clap:

I lost a Tangent a couple of days ago, it had no ink or anything. But I was told by a local that it was found by a new player and was stoked because its a great disc for a new player to learn on. Don't even want it back now. :thmbup:

The Comet, and Tangent do not compare in glide. If the Comet is a 6, the Tangent is a 4.5. It's easier to blow by your mark with the Comet, while the Tangent requires a little more snap.

who said you can't throw the tangent as far as a comet?

i am. why did you fail to read that part? no one can throw a tangent further than they can throw a comet. the only exception would be someone with no control who turns and burns a comet.

i am. why did you fail to read that part? no one can throw a tangent further than they can throw a comet. the only exception would be someone with no control who turns and burns a comet.

Has anyone tried this?

I would like to see mike C do a Comet vs. Tangent distance comparison.

i sold my last comet a while back so i can't compare now, but i don't think i would have a problem throwing a tangent just as far as a comet, if not farther.

you can put more into a tangent.

If by that you mean the Tangent is more forgiving of bad form, then yes. You can put all the power you can muster into a Comet and it'll reward you accordingly...with good form.

Has anyone tried this?

I would like to see mike C do a Comet vs. Tangent distance comparison.

i sold my last comet a while back so i can't compare now, but i don't think i would have a problem throwing a tangent just as far as a comet, if not farther.

:wall: UNBA

I bought a Tangent on bikinjack's recommendation. He should be like EF Hutton. When he speaks, you should listen. He brags on few if any discs, from any manufacturer.

All that being said I threw the Tangent for 1 round on a course with lots of 220-300' holes. To me it flies and feels just like a 168-172 GL Core or 176-180 Opto Fuse. My Tangent is a 177. It is nice, but after 1 round I would not call it ground breaking. It isn't as flippy as a light GL Fuse or handle the turnovers or anny's as well, and it does the straight tunnel thing just like a Core. I'll throw it some more, and see what it really does for me long term, but right now seems like just another solid edition to the mid market. Not great, but as good as a lot of other discs out there. If I had to use it rigth now I could use it for my Core shots, but would have to give up all my Cores to justify it. I'll just give it more time, and see if and where it fits.

I'm really starting to enjoy throwing this disc. I think it may even pay for itself if I can manage to actually hit an ace with it. I've had a couple really good runs just 18-24" high and I've skipped off the top of a basket an bounced off the side. But that's not what makes me like this disc, what I like is that it seems to do exactly what you tell it, for better or worse.

To add to the Tangent vs. Comet discussion, I've got an ESP Comet I could take out for some field tests. I'm not the gold standard when it comes to form, but a Comet was my first mid and filled the exact roll the Tangent is now filling, uber straight with very little fade and anny lines.

Got a Tangent a month or so ago. So far I have not loved it like I did my Axis and Vector. To some extent, I am having the same problem that I have with my Z Comet: it is hard to throw straight because it wants to track a fair amount to the right (RHBH). I have started to find it useful for annys, but that is a skill that I am developing now. I also am finding it to be a good disc for windy days, which is why I first got the Vector and Axis. Since windy days are going to be more frequent now that I am further down in the plains now (KC), I will definitely keep working with the Tangent (and the Axis and Vector), though I find that the Blowfly II has taken over at least 2/3 of my approach shots (and putting). My MVP mids are now mostly for shots in the 225' to 275' range, unless the wind is pretty bad.

Alhough I have a noodle arm, I have been told a number of times by other players that I have good snap. I'm guessing that this is why I get good use out of MVP's discs, and why my understable discs like to track right (or left when RHFH) a lot?

Just like the comet than, it will be a good disc to teach you to throw it smooth and straight if you take some time with either.

i can get some nice 270-315 ft laser straight shots with my tangents, if i really try to put some power on it.. it will turn to the right. Try a proton tangent, they a bit more stable than neutron imo.

Does the neutron become more understable over time because mine is a Buzzz. As is the Eclipse.. Only regular Proton is initially understable.

I don't know bout that. My axis flies more like a buzz though axis is more oat sensitive. I have three N tangents and they all require a ill bit more touch than a buzz, will hold straight lines and anny's easier, and are more oat sensitive.

neutrons started out like my eclipse, but they beat in real fast to have turn, and now they stay the same after initial couple week break in.. the eclipse still hasn't changed though, it has more HSS and LSS Fade

might have something to do with the neutrons i have being board flat and the eclipse has a very slight dome to it.

you want a tangent that turns a little? make it board flat :) its awesome

neutrons started out like my eclipse, but they beat in real fast to have turn, and now they stay the same after initial couple week break in.. the eclipse still hasn't changed though, it has more HSS and LSS Fade

might have something to do with the neutrons i have being board flat and the eclipse has a very slight dome to it.

you want a tangent that turns a little? make it board flat :) its awesome

Yeah, the Eclipse I have has a slight dome.. As does the Proton.. Neutron is pretty flat.

Latest posts