• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Tangent

shoplifted tangent

I had a beautiful pink neutron tangent. It was flat (because I flattened it.) I could shape amazing shots through the trees with it before I lost it. Then when I went to my local shop to pick it up it had been shoplifted from the lost and found box. There is a special place in hell...

I'm going to go out and do a Tangent/Tensor/Anode round this weekend. The Tursas and Warship are already well established in my bag, but I am increasingly thinking of them as fairway drivers rather than mids (especially since I have nothing between them and my mvp drivers). As great as the Tangent has been, I'm still not convinced that I need it when I have the awesomeness that is the Anode. Still, it's been really hard to range for a putter and I wonder if the powered down Tangent might suit my needs better. Nothing like watching the laser straight flight as it just soars past the basket...

How does the Tangent do in situations where you'd be well within range with a putter? Nevermind whether you should, just how close have you guys been effectively been throwing it from?

I actually use my Tangent as a "long range" putter (say 50' - 80') and have had some success w/ it fading hard into the chains. Still in the testing phase, so, we'll see...

The Tangent fits in my bag as a longer version of my putter, the Judge. It hits the tail end of my putter distance with the same accuracy and a little less effort, which is nice for those 22-240' holes. The Tangent does have a little more glide and some turn for me when powered up, but it is by no means what I'd consider truly understable. If it's a shot that I don't need as much fade as my Axis the Tangent comes out. Tunnel shot machine. Very neutral disc.

Works OK as a putter. Kinda like a floatier Ion. I actually kinda like it for putting. As others have said the Tangent would be an excellent choice for one disc rounds, esp because of it's ability to putt better then other mids. I havn't thrown it for many approaches because I use putters mainly. Tough to beat that baseline plastic grip in all the heat and humidity we have here now.

Hands down the Tangent is my favorite MVP disc. It has birdied a hole twice for me that I never had before, and I love it for approaches to. And to echo what others have said, it is awesome for one disc rounds. Just got a buddy from work into disc golfing, he bought one after using one of my neutrons.

He got pretty confident and challenged me to a one disc round (not that I am the greatest), but it was fun since beer was on the line :thmbup:. Learned more about the disc that day, safe to say it is my favorite disc in my bag!

TL/DR Orange Eclipse Tangent is awesome:clap:

Hands down the Tangent is my favorite MVP disc. It has birdied a hole twice for me that I never had before, and I love it for approaches to.

I birdied a hole I'd never birdied before with a Tangent the other day too. Little 260' hole that likes a right-turning throw, over a hill but under a tree and not too far to the left (stands of trees), to a basket perched on a hill, from a teepad that points down. Threw from a stand-still and put it 15' above the hill for the relatively easy putt.

Great disc.

Tonight I was letting my Warship down so I decided to slot the Tangent in for some longer ranged duties than normally I'd assign it. With a considerable hyzer flip, yet very little effort the Tangent flipped up and hung on to the faintest right turning line - perhaps only a couple of degrees - before finally S-ing out just as faintly to land flat, pin high at 321' for a 20' lateral bird. The thing I notice with the Tangent - indeed all the gyro stuff - is how late it seems to get to the fade phase while showing HSS that would seem to indicate it should fade sooner. I love the lines that come out of this disc. I only wish I could find the consistency to do it this justice with more regularity.

How do you flatten the disc?

I flattened my eclipse tangent based on advice from someone on DGCR with just below boilng water. Pour it into the upside down disc while on a flat surface (I used formica kitchen countertop) and hold down around the rim applying pressure equally around the rim. Hold it there for a while.

I've noticed that doing that added a bit of understability to the disc, but not too much. I really like it.

Last edited:
I flattened my eclipse tangent based on advice from someone on DGCR with just below boilng water. Pour it into the upside down disc while on a flat surface (I used formica kitchen countertop) and hold down around the rim applying pressure equally around the rim. Hold it there for a while.

I've noticed that doing that added a bit of understability to the disc, but not too much. I really like it.

i do the same thing but dont add pressure, you shouldn't need to. just let it sit till the water cools down, you don't want to force the disc to warp, just do it multiple times to get flatter and flatter.

i do the same thing but dont add pressure, you shouldn't need to. just let it sit till the water cools down, you don't want to force the disc to warp, just do it multiple times to get flatter and flatter.

Yes, that's a good idea. Don't want to overdo it accidentally, and you don't need to stand over it the whole time...

Ok question.

I am a noodle arm. Love my tangent. Mine is a ice blue proton almost 180g. When I got it, it definitely had some over stability to it. Not too much though. Of course it beat in and my form has improved and now the thing is straight but will barely turn. I read earlier I think from mike that the eclipses are a turn machine. I KNOW I cannot throw like mike (haha) but I was wondering if a lighter weight eclipse would be significantly more US. I don't think I'd get rid of my proton I was jw.

Ok question.

I am a noodle arm. Love my tangent. Mine is a ice blue proton almost 180g. When I got it, it definitely had some over stability to it. Not too much though. Of course it beat in and my form has improved and now the thing is straight but will barely turn. I read earlier I think from mike that the eclipses are a turn machine. I KNOW I cannot throw like mike (haha) but I was wondering if a lighter weight eclipse would be significantly more US. I don't think I'd get rid of my proton I was jw.

No, the eclipse are more stable and do not turn, and they have a slight bit more fade.

Your best off getting a 171g Neutron Orange and flattening it.. thats what i did and mine turns like a champ, not too much though, its just right.

How does the Eclipse Tangent compare to a KC Aviar? Would it be longer at full power? And if so, can it be easily powered down to approximate the Aviar?

I like to throw KC Aviars for drives 290' or less, and when new I like them to fly straight when thrown flat, with just a little bit of predictable fade at the end of its flight. When thrown with hyzer, I like them to push through the hyzer for about 2/3 of their flight and finish with a strong fade. I prefer to throw Rocs up to around 330' on the course, or 350' with no ceiling, if that matters.

How does the Eclipse Tangent compare to a KC Aviar? Would it be longer at full power? And if so, can it be easily powered down to approximate the Aviar?

I like to throw KC Aviars for drives 290' or less, and when new I like them to fly straight when thrown flat, with just a little bit of predictable fade at the end of its flight. When thrown with hyzer, I like them to push through the hyzer for about 2/3 of their flight and finish with a strong fade. I prefer to throw Rocs up to around 330' on the course, or 350' with no ceiling, if that matters.

that description sounds very similar to my eclipse orange 171g tangent! you should get one and give it a try, they are larger diameter though and will likely go farther with ease.

vp6f.jpg

Hit an ace at league this week with my neutron tangent. Took home $405 and a $15 ctp disc. :cool:

man there is no difference between neutron and protron in the tangent if the dome is the same. domey will glide more and fade a little more. both my eclipse and neutron are flat they fly identical.

I flattened my Neutron Tangent, put it in the microwave upside down, filled it with almost boiling water, put a plate on top and nuked it for 15 seconds a few times. Let it cool overnight and got super flat top Tangent. Best disc ever. Got shoplifted from lost and found before I could get it back.

man there is no difference between neutron and protron in the tangent if the dome is the same. domey will glide more and fade a little more. both my eclipse and neutron are flat they fly identical.

For the record, my Eclipse and Neutron also flew the same out of the box. I went back to my Neutron because Proton plastic red is actually a weird pink and I find the understated Neutron styling more visually appealing.

Perhaps it was because they ran the Proton/Neutron Tangents at the same time...It's the only disc they have done this with so far. Whatever it is, I definitely agree that the Tangent is very similar in the two plastics, more so than any of their other discs.