• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Tangent

Tangent is the best all around mid-range i have in my bag now that i have thrown it for a while, its great for approaches at any angle and longer straight to slight anny short drives. Its right up there with the Vector for usability on majority of fairways. Now if MVP would pump out a Tursas-like mid-range that was flip city, i would have all my spots covered.

I don't think I want a more understable mid than the Tangent, I just want my Tangent to get more beat. I think the Tangent will be the best understable mid out there when it gets beat. If MVP does make a more understable mid I hope it will still be beaded and have even more glide, otherwise I think I'll keep abusing my Tangents and stick to them.

Now if MVP would pump out a Tursas-like mid-range that was flip city, i would have all my spots covered.

I've been wondering about this myself. I've never had a truly US midrange in the bag - I've always just used more neutral discs like the Comet and the Tangent. I've been considering picking up an US mid lately, though; it seems like I'd realize what I was missing once I had it in the bag.

Seems like it'll be a little while before MVP fleshes this spot out, since with the release of the Resistor it seems like they'll be focusing on slower fairways in the immediate future.

given the speed mine flies very understable with a lot less HSS than my protons and a fresh neutron with the only advantage is a bit more LSS which helps from getting way off line or flipping too early/too much like can happen with something very flippy. I would rate my tangent 6/10 been rubbing it on tees and throwing the crap out of it.

Id like to see a fast lid like disc and something very opposite of the new resistor.

It's taken me a while to figure out the awesomeness that is the tangent. When I first got it didn't really seem to have a use. If I wanted super straight I had my Axis. If I wanted some turn or fade in that range I'd use my anode.

But yesterday I used it on a couple of short anhyzers when I was stuck in the woods and was really surprised at the angles it could hold all the way to the ground with more control than I have with the anode or fuse, the disc I would normally use in that shot.

I'm still discovering how to use this bad boy but I'm finding myself reaching for it more and more.

Initially when I got my Tangent I wasn't sure I would like it very much because I wanted something that was considerably understable. But after much use the Tangent has become one of my go-to discs and I use it more and more. It turns out that many holes on my local courses call for a slight right approach and the Tangent is the disc for the job. I also made a nice, dead straight tunnel shot through some trees right at the pin during my last round. Ol' Tangie has served me well

I'm loving my Eclipse Tangent, have banged out several long birdies with it, absolutely love it for approaches. I also got an ace today with it.

I'm gonna have to start throwing one of my neutrons also so they don't get jealous, benched them for my beautiful orange Eclipse, which the color just absolutely pops when its in the woods.

me too johnny! neutron will beat-in a little easier and have a different grip but really should fly the same. I have found a couple FLAT neutron tangents with a bit more HSS turn but one of them domed back up with use and the other 2 I traded off so really going with the one that looks good wasn't a bad choice :) I did the same!

Initially when I got my Tangent I wasn't sure I would like it very much because I wanted something that was considerably understable. But after much use the Tangent has become one of my go-to discs and I use it more and more. It turns out that many holes on my local courses call for a slight right approach and the Tangent is the disc for the job. I also made a nice, dead straight tunnel shot through some trees right at the pin during my last round. Ol' Tangie has served me well

Ol tangie! :hfive: Similar experience when I first got it but they really do get better seasoned in and once you figure out what its capable of, such a fun disc to throw!

I've got a 172 orange proton Tangent and and it's the only MVP disc I have not fallen in love with. It's just too similar to my Axis. It's also my only MVP disc in proton plastic. I was thinking of trying one in Neutron plastic.

Is there any real difference in stability between the two plastics? I know Proton Volts are much more overstable than their Neutron counterparts. My Tangent is more stable than my Axis. On anhyzers they both turn over nicely but the Axis holds the line better. I've really like a Tangent that is actually somewhat understable.

Would the neutron plastic make a difference?

odd.

i've got a no-stamp sparkly one in proton and it flies with high speed turn fo'sho, though only past a certain threshold honestly. i use it for standstill driving in the woods. there really shouldn't be much difference.

I've got a 172 orange proton Tangent and and it's the only MVP disc I have not fallen in love with. It's just too similar to my Axis. It's also my only MVP disc in proton plastic. I was thinking of trying one in Neutron plastic.

Is there any real difference in stability between the two plastics? I know Proton Volts are much more overstable than their Neutron counterparts. My Tangent is more stable than my Axis. On anhyzers they both turn over nicely but the Axis holds the line better. I've really like a Tangent that is actually somewhat understable.

Would the neutron plastic make a difference?

Just throw it as a driver for a while and it will beat in a little.

Neutron is slightly less HSS but you still need to spend a week or 2 of punishment before it loosens up a little.

Im thinking a lot of people have axis that they have used for a while and they are seasoned or beat in and thats why they fly like a fresh tangent.

The axis/tangent are not similar for me, my beat axis can fly similar lines but its still longer and fades more at the end.

Is your axis fresh or have you used it for a while?

I took the beat axis out of the bag, because it is similar enough to my tangent and i could handle all the lines more accurately with the tangent.

Last edited:
The Axis is older but only by about 5-6 weeks. I've had the Tangent in my bag for about 2 months now and have used it in plenty of rounds. The Axis was more understable from day one. It took me a while to learn how to throw the Axis without turning it over. I never turn over the Tangent. I can put a ton of power into the Tangent where my Axis needs a little more control but the lines are pretty much the same. Axis seems faster.

The Axis is older but only by about 5-6 weeks. I've had the Tangent in my bag for about 2 months now and have used it in plenty of rounds. The Axis was more understable from day one. It took me a while to learn how to throw the Axis without turning it over. I never turn over the Tangent. I can put a ton of power into the Tangent where my Axis needs a little more control but the lines are pretty much the same. Axis seems faster.

Sounds like my stable eclipse tangent that took me forever to beat in, its starting to beat in now.. but its taking forever, its my favorite one, just straight for days :) I have to be careful though because it likes to get flippy now and then if im not careful with release angle.

Yeah, maybe I just have to give it some more time. My tangent is just now getting to the point where I can hyzer flip it just a bit and it'll flip up instead of taking a slight hyzer line.

Ol tangie! :hfive: Similar experience when I first got it but they really do get better seasoned in and once you figure out what its capable of, such a fun disc to throw!
Yea Tangie! I'm wondering how she'll once she's finely seasoned. My disc is finally getting scratched up a bit and I wing it into the chains every so often to try to beat it in. I like that the Tangent can hold a variety of lines although my one complaint is that it likes to roll. Seems like both my Ion and Tangent tend to roll more than I'd like... it must be the GYRO technology haha.

After being out of the bag for sometime, I took my FR Neutron Tangent to the park for a one disc round. I forgot how slick the plastic is... Like frustratingly slick and difficult for me to grip for whatever reason. I will have to try my friend's Eclipse Proton Tangent and give it a good test.

I like the amount of power that the Tangent can take. It's pretty amazing, but that disc has soured me somewhat on Neutron :-\

IMO proton is more tacky and slightly better grip when new but proton only gets better with use. Need to get the glossy finish worn down and will become more flexible also.

I think a lot of people (like myself) were expecting the Tangent to be more understable, like a Panther. But really its very neutral...like a better Comet, if you will. I can make mine hold a nice anhyzer line, or a hyzer line. Its a game of angles. That said, I took the Tangent out once I got my hands on an Atlas.

Dont get me wrong: the Tangent and Atlas are barely comparable. They are not even close to the same disc. BUT I can get my Atlas to take the same lines, with less effort. It feels better in my hand, which Im sure is an opinion no one else shares. Im just weird like that.

But that doesnt make me love the Tangent any less. Its just that I am now spreading that love to others. I think its a good mid-range for dgers who have some experience but are still casual, all the way up to the top pros. Pretty darn versatile. I sold my 176g Neutron to a player in our League and it shaved three throws off his best score the first time he used it.