• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My turn~

Fun thread! Cool to see you keep at it over the years and log all of your disc adventures here.

One thing that stuck out to me, that suprisingly didn't get mentioned, is your uncanny love for vipers. I see you are a primarily FH player that is stuck at/under the 300 ft mark. My suspicion is that the vipers are severely hurting your game and are the reason you haven't progressed much in your distance. Take the time to drive with your more neutral/stable drivers! You'll begin to iron out that OAT and find that you can throw your neutral drivers longer with less effort.

Keep at it! and keep documenting all your progress :)

I do love the Viper. But I don't think I really throw them that much. The beat in one gets thrown the most, but I think it's still behind all of my XLs in driver toss frequency. At least the Xs.

I think my main issue with not getting better is me not playing much. Or doing field work. My form could probably use help too. Er. It could have used help back in june. It probably desperately needs help now.

Yea, I hear you there.

Cold front coming in soon, so no disc golf practicing outdoors for us in WI/MI this weekend :( Unless you love sub zero temperatures of course...

Swapped my Voodoos out for Shields. Why? I like the stamp. And they feel nice.

Not that I've actually played yet.

Secondary note: I also haven't bought a disc in about 8 months. Who else on here can say that? :p

Impressive. In the past 8 months I went from having a Z Predator, Z Cyclone, D Hawk, and X Challenger to having over 60 discs. Eek!

No big comments on the bag, although I'm impressed that you managed not to buy a Wizard. Would love an update on the dog!

But I did buy a Wizard. Three of them. They were fine for putting, but I didn't care for throwing them.

I don't know how the dog is, since I moved in June. I'm assuming she's doing well. Now there's this other dog...

Neither are suited to being discin' dogs, unfortunately.

Attachments

• IMG_9189.jpg
    IMG_9189.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3649.jpg
    IMG_3649.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 21
Oops. I totally missed the Wizard posts. I just noticed it's not in the bag.

As for the dogs... a non-disc-dog is better than no dog at all! And two is better than one!

I still haven't thrown >.>

But, it's going to be warm this week. Maybe I'll finally get out to a field and throw some, or maybe maybe actually get a round in. Though the field would probably be better for me.

I'm starting over ish. I haven't thrown (really) since last June, and the third of a round I played a month or two ago showed me my forehand isn't where it used to be. I miiight have been able to hit like, 200. Maybe. Could have been the snow almost to my knees screwing me up, but that's not the main reason.

So. I'm going to learn backhand. Again.

I'm young, I'm tall and skinny, I'm in pretty good shape, why can't I throw 500 feet like those kooky Scandinavian kids? :p

I got the good ol' Garublador How to Build a Bag method goin', with a backup of each. Since I already have some beat discs I love.

4 molds, 8 discs.
(partially copied from an earlier post)

Pink DX Viper: My first Viper. Glides for days. It's still kinda overstable, but it's pretty beat up.
White DX Viper: Pretty fresh. Flies like a DX Viper.

Pink X XL: Understable driver. It's pretty beat up. I think it's in the first post of this thread. Has a nice controlled turn. I think.
Red Z XL: Doesn't glide quite as well as the X's, and is a bit more overstable than a fresh X. Great for more controlled drives.

Reddish Classic Fugitive: Flies like my other Fugitives right now, but I'm mostly going to be throwing this one to work it in to understable. Little turn, bigger fade than turn.
Orange BioFuzion Fugitive: I haven't thrown this one yet, but I'm guessing it flies like my Lucid or Classic (currently). It's mostly there because I had an extra of every other disc, and space for one more. I like how it feels too.

Blue Medium Shield: Throws.
Green Soft Shield: Putts.

If I was doing it the only four discs way, I'd probably take a fresh X XL, the Classic, and the blue Shield so I don't lose the green. I'm not sure on which Viper. The Pink is amazing, but it's not really super OS anymore. The white is probably too OS for my backhand... So probably the pink, I guess. Meh. I want to use a bag. The Slim Jim is great for this.

I'll try to last with this setup until I can hit 330ish consistently. Then I'll probably add my Avengers back in and try to get to some big number, like 400. Then I'll try some big boy discs. I can have a bag full of Bosses and Grooves like the cool kids have :p

Anyway... Let's hope I actually get out this time.

Attachments

• 20160306_164454.jpg
    20160306_164454.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 18
So I did get out and throw, in a field. Swapped out the two Vipers in my bag for another Shield and Fugitive, just for the field.

It went better than expected... Though I'm not really sure what I was expecting.

I was throwing in a kid's soccer field. I can't imagine the goals were more than 200 feet apart (probably less) but I was trying to throw my stuff into the opposite goal. I think I was pretty accurate, considering the time since last I played/previous backhand skill. I guess the issue right now is that that <200 foot distance was about as far as I can throw at the moment. Ah well. Distance will come with more practice. Hopefully.

I did have one farther toss with the beat X XL, the first time I threw it. Definitely over 200 feet. Then everything got kinda wet and snowy, and yeah.

Also almost lost a Shield in the field >.> That purple just blends so well with green, brown, and white.

I'm a beginner again, wooooo~

So. I actually went out and played.

Only 12 holes, I had somewhere to be.

It was also from the reds :p

Shot even par. Threw mostly backhand off the tee, which feels weird. A few flicks on dog leggy holes. My putting was fine, which is odd considering I haven't practiced putting in a year.

Classic Fugitive was the mvp of the day.

More field work, yaaay.

Mostly with Comets, they're doing their job. But I've been getting good throws with them. And I think Elite X is my favorite plastic. For everything.

I need to work with the Suspect more, but I suspect it's what I want.

Hah.

i hear you.

x plastic is pretty solid and the comet itself is a magical disc. the x comet is the most comet-y comet ever made; i frickin' love it . . . however, i need the forgiveness and durability of z to be 100% confident on every throw.

i still love doing fieldwork with x comets, and i do keep one in my bag to be thrown every once in a while, but there is just not much cause to do so when i have a z comet that can do hyzer, anhyzer, straight or turnover/hyzerflip. i keep the seasoned x for shorter turnovers when i don't have room for anhyzer, or for sky shots that need to turn as well.

any particular reason you're not bagging something similar feeling to the comet, like a wasp? i saw it in the bag earlier in the thread.

i actually think the suspect may be a better option since it's an overstable putter/mid tweener in premium plastic, low profile for better flicks, and you don't have to bang up your shields, but i figured i'd ask.

The main reason I'm throwing the Suspect over the Wasp is that the Wasp overlapped with some of my assorted Vipers. They're my favorite, so that's not allowed.

My Wasp always flicked well.

Still doing field work, played a few Comet/Suspect/Shield rounds... I think it's going well.

Of course it snowed again, and is supposed to keep snowing for the next week. I hope it melts by the end of May. I wanted to play in something before I get shipped out, and that's when the Trilogy Challenges are.

I switched my bag around some before I went on a trip down into Wisconsin. I played 3 courses that were new to me. I didn't notice any holes, never felt the urge to use a disc I didn't have.

Drivers:

ESP FLX Avenger: My headwind/pretty overstable disc. It's not utility overstable, but it does what I need it to. Holds pretty straight and fades in a headwind. Big hooks that go somewhere without getting squirrely.

X Avenger: It has some wear on it, but it's kinda overstable. I think? I don't know, but it does what I want it to. Long shots that fade in the end, long flexy shots. If I really oat it it'll hold the turnover to the ground. This is the disc I throw when I really want to rip* one out there.

* rip? Ahahahahaha

Z XL: Goes very straight. Not as much glide as my X drivers, but it's very reliable and consistent. Does better in the wind than the X Avenger as it doesn't have a big ol' dome.

X XL: Small turn, more fade than turn, but not alot. It's good.

Beat X XL: Big turns, accidental rollers, hyzerflips. Good stuff.

Midranges

S Warrior: Overstable mid. Does good stuff. Consistent. Does pretty well in the wind. Feels nice. Good sentence structure.

Glow Z and X Comet: Honestly, they fly the same. I had an X that was worn in a bit, but it's in a pond. They do Comet things. Go straight, do everything that has no wind involved.

Putters

R-Pro Polecat: It's beat to hell. Can do all sorts of tricky things.

Overstable Putter: I have a Rhyno and a VP. Maybe try a Scale? I don't know, I never threw it over the weekend. It feels superfluous.

Medium Shield: It's like a slightly glidier, slightly less OS Rhyno. It's probably why the Rhyno never gets tossed. It's still kinda overstable, and low glide. Ups, drives, not putts.

Soft Shield: It's green, I putt with it.

Utility

Champion Viper: It's very overstable. Crazy winds, attempts at tomahawks. Utility stuff.

That's it. Does anyone see a spot where something is missing? I don't know.

Sounds like a solid bag. If you're not feeling any gaps, I certainly can't tell where there would be any. My only comment would be to keep that OS putter in the bag... one day it may come in handy, like a utility disc but slower than your Viper.

Overstable Putter: I have a Rhyno and a VP. Maybe try a Scale? I don't know, I never threw it over the weekend. It feels superfluous.

Try out a Scale. I use mine all the time for hyzer putts, forehand upshots and head wind putts. It handles wind beautifully. The lack of glide is awesome because it won't float past the basket.

Also Fossil is best baseline plastic out there.

I switched my bag around some before I went on a trip down into Wisconsin. I played 3 courses that were new to me. I didn't notice any holes, never felt the urge to use a disc I didn't have.

Drivers:

ESP FLX Avenger: My headwind/pretty overstable disc. It's not utility overstable, but it does what I need it to. Holds pretty straight and fades in a headwind. Big hooks that go somewhere without getting squirrely.

X Avenger: It has some wear on it, but it's kinda overstable. I think? I don't know, but it does what I want it to. Long shots that fade in the end, long flexy shots. If I really oat it it'll hold the turnover to the ground. This is the disc I throw when I really want to rip* one out there.

* rip? Ahahahahaha

Z XL: Goes very straight. Not as much glide as my X drivers, but it's very reliable and consistent. Does better in the wind than the X Avenger as it doesn't have a big ol' dome.

X XL: Small turn, more fade than turn, but not alot. It's good.

Beat X XL: Big turns, accidental rollers, hyzerflips. Good stuff.

Midranges

S Warrior: Overstable mid. Does good stuff. Consistent. Does pretty well in the wind. Feels nice. Good sentence structure.

Glow Z and X Comet: Honestly, they fly the same. I had an X that was worn in a bit, but it's in a pond. They do Comet things. Go straight, do everything that has no wind involved.

Putters

R-Pro Polecat: It's beat to hell. Can do all sorts of tricky things.

Medium Shield: It's like a slightly glidier, slightly less OS Rhyno. It's probably why the Rhyno never gets tossed. It's still kinda overstable, and low glide. Ups, drives, not putts.

Soft Shield: It's green, I putt with it.

Utility

Champion Viper: It's very overstable. Crazy winds, attempts at tomahawks. Utility stuff.

That's it. Does anyone see a spot where something is missing? I don't know.

It's back, back from the depths of last year, basic training, AIT, and snow in October.

And it's still the same. Minus the mystery overstable putter. I thought about trying an Anchor over my lone Warrior, and one of the newfangled overstable fairway/control drivers over my Avengers, but then I did something amazing.

I used self control and didn't buy a new disc because I have discs I'm happy with.

I'm not sure that's ever happened.

Anyway. I don't really need a short OS disc because my Champion Viper is the shortest disc in my bag. Might try a Shield in fancier plastic, I dunno.

I have a range of Avengers. Z, FLX, flat fresh X, domey fresh X, and kinda beat domey X. Z is really overstable. FLX is not quite so much. Flat X is almost as OS as the FLX, but it'll beat in faster. Domey fresh is once again not quite as OS. And then the beat X is the least, but still kinda OS for me. Usually have the beat X and the flat X or FLX bagged.

XLs are still great. Comets are great. Polecat is great. Shields are kinda great. I know I switch putters more often than this thread has been revived.

It's gonna be in the upper 40s this weekend. I think it thawed me out.

Well. After hearing some alarming news that two of the three Discraft discs in my bag are OOP, I felt it was necessary to make a contingency plan.

Avengers: I like them, but it's kinda whatever. There's a ton of discs in this category. PD, OLF, Culverin, Thunderbird, Longbowman, whatever. I might try a Pro Thunderbird, just because Pro/X is my favorite.

XL: I don't know. They're my favorite disc. I shouldn't have trouble finding more, but... They're my favorite. I always thought the JLS was kinda close... So is the Thief, at least my TC one was. I just don't care for how it's a little bit more shallow. I don't want to go into the murky depths of hunting premium Gazelles. Or the slightly more effort. TLs are kinda close maybe? Never thrown one. I'll miss the pro plastic but eh. FDs? I haven't thrown anything since I got on the XL train. I had Rivers before that, but they were squirrely for me. What's this Pipeline.

Current plan: Buy a Pro Thunderbird, buy out every store's stock of XLs.

I think rocking a Champion PD and Pro Thunderbird would cover your Avengers; the PD and Thunderbird are nearly identical, so by carrying those two different plastics you should be able to cover the Avengers.

Or just rock the PD in P-line (Pro plastic) and C-Line (Champion); it's slightly more overstable and has less fade than the Thunderbird, so I guess would more closely match the Avenger. I personally love my Thunderbirds though, so I'm always gonna say try a Thunderbird.

Latest posts