• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My turn~

Well, looks like I'm back to the "different midrange every week" strategy.

I was digging through my stack of extras, trying to find some beginner friendly discs because someone asked me to teach them to throw. I found my old Ghosts. They're in the bag now. At least I resisted the Eagles?

Anyway. Two Suspects and two Fugitives became three Ghosts. Beat Excel, Fresh Excel, and a Pinnacle. Also I had an extra slot so Polecat. It's magic. Still.

Thinking about trying an Anode. I haven't bought a disc in so long...

Nice setup, if you are replacing your Voodoo the Anode is a solid straight flyer.. If you are looking for something between the Voodoo and Polecat the Proton Spin is more understable but not stupid understable.

Nice setup, if you are replacing your Voodoo the Anode is a solid straight flyer.. If you are looking for something between the Voodoo and Polecat the Proton Spin is more understable but not stupid understable.

It'd be a direct replacement for the Voodoo. From what I hear it'll pretty much fly the same as my Voodoo, just shinier. Unless I don't have enough snap to activate the magic gyro powers.

It'd be a direct replacement for the Voodoo. From what I hear it'll pretty much fly the same as my Voodoo, just shinier. Unless I don't have enough snap to activate the magic gyro powers.

Yeah check some gyro out, look into the Proxy.. I would think that closest to a Voodoo... but probably plasma it's straighter and not Neutron soft it's more s, still straight though.

Guys, I did something crazy. I decided not to buy a disc.

I was going to buy an Anode to try in place of my Voodoo. The disc that does exactly what I want it to do, and hasn't changed it's flight in the past three years. Also have an ace with it.

But I resisted the allure of shiny new things. I don't think this has ever happened in the history of the universe.

Oh, I also had to buy new running shoes. But that's beside the point.

Ah just like the old days of reading your thread, makes me want to find my Vipers that I bought because of you. I don't remember ever getting one beat up enough to be useful for my game though, pretty sure the over stability stayed no matter how many trees I hit.

I had a couple anodes, they never moved out other putts of mine. I always preferred the Ion to them, or any of my other putters more. Felt like a wizard iirc but didn't fly like one.

Ah just like the old days of reading your thread, makes me want to find my Vipers that I bought because of you. I don't remember ever getting one beat up enough to be useful for my game though, pretty sure the over stability stayed no matter how many trees I hit.

I had a couple anodes, they never moved out other putts of mine. I always preferred the Ion to them, or any of my other putters more. Felt like a wizard iirc but didn't fly like one.

They weren't useful as overstable discs? I have one that starting to straighten out and one that's worn to like a 6/20/-1/3.

I'm over it now. Voodoos forever. Or until I go through my discs and find another old putter I like.

Oh, also swapped my Orcs for Avengers. Because... Why not?

They weren't useful as overstable discs? I have one that starting to straighten out and one that's worn to like a 6/20/-1/3.

I'm over it now. Voodoos forever. Or until I go through my discs and find another old putter I like.

Oh, also swapped my Orcs for Avengers. Because... Why not?

Much of my stuff is over stable enough. I kinda just stopped carrying meat hooks at some point. My noodle arm is more soft than it used to be even

So. I learned two things in my disc golf adventures today.

Note: Forehand dominant player.

1. The run up I invented when I started playing however many years ago does absolutely nothing.

2. The Avery Jenkins power grip that I've been using since I started isn't good for my game.

On hole one I threw my usual drive. OATy, went in the trees. Bad lie, threw my next one with a split grip, laser beam. So I thought, maybe I'll play the whole round split grip. Next hole, not a real long one. Either throw straight down the right curving tunnel or flick something overstable to the left and pray. Straight down the tunnel, cozied right up to the basket.

For the rest of the round it was like that. I felt like I wasn't getting much power on my shots, but on a slight downhill 320 I was pin high. For reference, my old max distance before I quit for two years was 300.

So I guess its form work for me. And maybe coming up with a run up that helps with getting my release the same every time. Still had some bad wrist roll shots, but this is the first time I remember getting better in a long time.

Played a new course today. It wasn't a good time. Took me a half hour to find the start, the rough was really rough, and I lost my beat Ghost. I also got lost and gave up after 10 holes.

Put in my Cobras/King Cobra just for laughs. What mold are current Cobras? I remember seeing new stock DX Ontario's about two years ago...

Another update? Crazy.

I did something crazy. I... took out a Viper. Not all of them. The champ is still there. I just realized that I throw the DX maybe once a round, and it's shots could be accomplished with an Avenger, or my beefy XL, or maybe even something like a Warrior. I probably throw the champ even less than that, honestly, but it's a utility disc.

So. As of today.

2 X Avengers. One is a sorta beat 165 pop top X that can really bomb*. The other is a 175 flatter X that's more of the beefy/headwind resistant disc you'd expect.

*nothing I throw qualifies as a bomb

Champion Viper. Utility.

3 XLs. One beefyish that's really great, honestly. I can snap it on low line drives, and it actually stole shots from my Vipers, which started this whole mess. Not as beefy or glidy as a Viper. Anyway, then there's the middle of the road ESP, and the beat X that hasn't left my bag except for once in the past 5 years. I mean, I've thrown it. It's just usually had a slot.

3 molds for mids? What's the world coming to?

One King Cobra. Great, accurate midrange. Slight turn on a flat throw with my oat, and a medium fade. Likes to be thrown nice and smooth.

One Warrior. Ugh, wrong stability order. Beefy mid. I have an ace with it. Likes to be thrown hard. (But still smooth) Great HSS, strong LSS.

One "Classic" Cobra. My mid that'll turn. Some turn, some fade if you let it. Very controllable, has a snake on it. Though I do have some X Out tourney stamp ones with no snakes that feel great...

Polecat and Voodoos, same as usual.

Whew. And I still haven't bought a disc.

Last edited:
I use to throw cobras back in the day alongside my Rocs until the day my 10x beat in enough to throw like a cobra. This is probably a dumb question but have you ever thrown a Roc? I feel if you beat in one enough it will throw like a cobra.

Just curious since you don't bag a Roc what does a Cobra do different from a Roc? Been years since I threw a cobra and it was a main staple in my bag til that one Roc hit that sweetspot for me.

I use to throw cobras back in the day alongside my Rocs until the day my 10x beat in enough to throw like a cobra. This is probably a dumb question but have you ever thrown a Roc? I feel if you beat in one enough it will throw like a cobra.

Just curious since you don't bag a Roc what does a Cobra do different from a Roc? Been years since I threw a cobra and it was a main staple in my bag til that one Roc hit that sweetspot for me.

I haven't thrown a Roc. Well, I suppose that's a lie. When I started some guy let my dad and I borrow a bunch of discs, and one of them was a beat up Roc. Not that I remember how it flew... I cringe every time I think of those discs. The standouts of the bunch were a CE Eagle and Firebird, and a few SE discs... With every one of our throws into trees and roads, you could see dollar signs flying away. Not that we knew they were valuable.

But anyway. No, I haven't thrown a Roc. I've thrown Ghosts, does that count? I like my Cobras, and the King Cobra is just a little less stable than a new DX Roc. I assume. If I need more beef, the Warrior fills that slot.

If a Roc is the Teebird of midranges, an Ontario Cobra (which a King Cobra is) is somewhere between the Eagle X and L of midranges. A not Ontario Cobra is more like the Cheetah of midranges maybe. I like a little play in my lines. Most of the time.

In other news:

1. I took the Champion Viper out of my bag. I'm seeing if my beefy Z Avenger can fill the slot. Probably won't be hard to fill a slot that never gets thrown. From my estimations it'll just be a little speedier and skippier. And mold minimalism will make me a better player, duh.

2. Swapped out the Voodoos for Shields. Right after I talked about how great Voodoos are. Because.... I can.

3. I finally broke down and ordered some discs. A DX Ontario Cobra from the recent run (I assume) and an Evo Diamond Warrior. I've never thrown a DX Ontario, and I wanted to try some of Gateway's shiny new (to me) plastic. When was the last time I was impatient for the mail to get here? Hmmm...

Last edited:
I haven't thrown a Roc. Well, I suppose that's a lie. When I started some guy let my dad and I borrow a bunch of discs, and one of them was a beat up Roc. Not that I remember how it flew... I cringe every time I think of those discs. The standouts of the bunch were a CE Eagle and Firebird, and a few SE discs... With every one of our throws into trees and roads, you could see dollar signs flying away. Not that we knew they were valuable.

But anyway. No, I haven't thrown a Roc. I've thrown Ghosts, does that count? I like my Cobras, and the King Cobra is just a little less stable than a new DX Roc. I assume. If I need more beef, the Warrior fills that slot.

If a Roc is the Teebird of midranges, an Ontario Cobra (which a King Cobra is) is somewhere between the Eagle X and L of midranges. A not Ontario Cobra is more like the Cheetah of midranges maybe. I like a little play in my lines. Most of the time.

In other news:

1. I took the Champion Viper out of my bag. I'm seeing if my beefy Z Avenger can fill the slot. Probably won't be hard to fill a slot that never gets thrown. From my estimations it'll just be a little speedier and skippier. And mold minimalism will make me a better player, duh.

2. Swapped out the Voodoos for Shields. Right after I talked about how great Voodoos are. Because.... I can.

3. I finally broke down and ordered some discs. A DX Ontario Cobra from the recent run (I assume) and an Evo Diamond Warrior. I've never thrown a DX Ontario, and I wanted to try some of Gateway's shiny new (to me) plastic. When was the last time I was impatient for the mail to get here? Hmmm...

Yeah a ghost is a good comparison to Rocs,never throw one but that one guy who started the company said they threw like rocs.

A cheetah is a good comparison to a Cobra just faster. I still have my KC Pro Cheetah from 1999 lol. It was giving to me by a local pro back in the day.

Again? Jeez.

Got two new discs. Ontario DX Cobra and a Diamond Warrior.

Threw them against my others in a field before my round, plus some things against my Avengers.

Cobra flies like my King Cobra. They're both the same mold, so it's not that shocking. Bagged it over the King because it feels nice.

Diamond Warrior also flies like my other Warriors. Slightly more shocking. Still have the S bagged because it has yet to change. Diamond feels nice, but the S on these is amazing.

Also threw my old Boatman/Hatchet combo against my Avengers.

TP Boatman vs. Fresh X/FLX: Very similar. Avengers are more bricky and abrupt in their fade. They also fight out of an anny faster. The Boatman glides much better and holds turns/holds straight longer. Both fade a similar amount. Boatman got me a consistent 15 more feet because of the glide.

Hatchet vs. Beat X Avenger:
The glide on the Hatchet is absurd. I barely even have to throw it. Anyway. My Avenger is starting to get finicky. On a flat throw it turns less and fades more, but with a touch of anny for a looong turn, it cut rolls. The Hatchet just gracefully turns forever with slight anny and pans right at the end.

Boat is in, Hatchet needs work but it's in.

Added the champ Viper back since the Boat isn't really utility material. You didn't expect it to be gone long did you?

So much for minimalism.

Okay. Last change, I promise. For at least a month probably.

So, it occurred to me that after my long hiatus I should be getting back into good form more than trying every disc I own again.

I realised this while throwing distance drivers in a field to dissuade myself from buying a distance driver. It worked.

I'm going back to the ol' Garublador build a bag strategy. The ESP XL doesn't go with it strictly, but I already have beat XLs.

ESP XL- Control driver with some turn and fade.

DX Viper- Overstable driver, by design, not because it's too fast for me.

DX Cobra- A Midrange. I'm using a Classic. I figure having a disc I've got to have good form to throw well will help me even more. Also it might get me throwing my putter more, as it'll be more overstable than the Cobra. And no, I'm not using a Comet.

Medium Shield- A putter.

As far as goals, I don't really care if I throw farther, I just want to throw better. So. This setup until I can get par consistently from the reds at my home course. Then I might bump up to the slim jim and have an extra of each. My beat Viper is a great bomber.... Then those 8 til I can get par consistently from the blues at that course. Then I can make a mess again.

Also I want to throw more backhand. Part of the reason why I chose the Classic Cobra. Right now it goes about 200 and flies like a Teebird lolol.

Don't let me weenie out.

Last edited:
I said I wouldn't change things, I didn't say I wouldn't update every day.

Silly.

My first round with the aforementioned bag went well. -1 by course par, which is what I'm going to go by.

Started off putting terribly, was putting great for the second half. Probably would have been -5 if I had made those stupid early putts. Like, missing 15 footers, then nailing 30-45 footers on the back 9. Hmmm.

I think actually keeping score helps me play better. I actually want to sink putts instead of just "lol I missed".

Anyway. I like all the discs I picked. Feel good with my setup. A few more rounds like this and I'll bump back up to the Slim Jim.

I really do want to use that pink DX Viper again, but the ol' four disc bag doesn't leave much room for fun discs... Just need to play better.