• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My turn~

So I played two rounds yesterday. Before the first one, I picked up a Lucid Fugitive to go with my Classic. They have the same PLH, and about the same dome. They're both nice c:

The first round I didn't do so great. It was at Alexander Park, which is about half open, and half lightly wooded. The wind was really going. I need to figure out how to drive in the wind better. I did almost ace number 10, which is a long (for me :p) downhill. Of course, I missed and skipped away, and missed the putt -w- Ah well.

The second round was at Herman C Michael, which is shorter, and more wooded. Except the first two, 12, and 15-18. It was a "I'll get in a quick round before the sun goes down" kind of round, with just a Magnet, Wasp, and Lucid Fugitive. The wind had died down from earlier in the day, and I think I did pretty well at -1. That's with a few bogeys and a double :p

The Fugitive is lots of fun. It's kinda like a Comet, with less finickiness, and some more fight at the end, so it's alot easier to not mess up. Good line holder, and also happens to feel very, very similar to a Wasp.

Current Bag:
3 XLs, one beat X, one fresh X, and one fresh Z
3 Vipers, one champ, one fresh DX and one beat DX
2 Fugitives, one Lucid, one slightly roughed up Classic (they're actually flying very similarly)
1 Z Wasp
3 Soft Magnets, one for putts, one reasonably fresh for straight drives, one beat for even straighter drives :p Or turns.

I currently have three Vipers in the bag. A Champ, a fresh DX, and a seasoned (I think) DX. The glide on the DX makes them the most useable OS driver I've tried. (still love my champ banshee though, wherever she is. I MISS YOU, MATILDA) Erm. Anyway. Nice. The champ is dumb os, pure utility disc. Nice though.

I find I haven't been throwing my fresh DX at all though. My sorta beat DX has been covering all of my OS driving needs, with the champ covering the utility. Think SPD with Firebird. There just haven't been times when I've been like,"Gee, a disc that glides less and hooks up a bit more than my beat DX, but goes farther than my champ would be super useful here." But... My bag just feels so empty without 12 discs in it. Is this a dumb problem? >.>

Are there any holes?

Beat X XL: Big turns, hyzeflips and such.
Non-beat X XL: Some turn, some fade. Probably my most thrown driver.
Z XL: Very little turn, some fade. Useful for them... Shots where I don't want turn. Glides less than the X though.
Beat DX Viper: Tiny turn, pretty big fade. Super glide. Great at flex shots, and junk.
Non beat DX Viper: No turn, big fade, good glide. Look above
Champ Viper: Hook city.

Z Wasp, kinda worn. Not quite super OS. Has some small turn, flips up from a small hyzer to go dead straight, then fade pretty big. I like it. Goes well with the Fugitives. Also, it powers down well for shorter OS shots.
Lucid Fugitive: Great disc. Less overstable than my Wasp, has a small turn with a bit bigger fade. Probably my most thrown midrange. Can do most anything. Holds lines well.
Classic Fugitive:I'm still figuring it out. It's less overstable than my Lucid. It's also really stiff. I'm having more OAT issues with it than the Lucid, for some reason. I use it for OS backhand approaches though. Since my backhand sucks.

Soft Magnet: Putts
Soft Magnet: Stable drives, approaches.
Beat Soft Magnet: Understable drives, really straight approaches. Sometimes understable approaches.

For some reason I'm terrible backhand with most things that aren't putters. Hmmmm....

I forehand most everything, and I haven't used a distance driver that's gotten me any notable distance increase. Definitely lost some control with them though. 300 is probably my upper end with the X XLs. And maybe my beat Viper on a flex.

Someone better say something this time >.>

I love how you've stuck to this bag for like ever. I try out too many molds too often and loveee buying new discs.

Wish I was this good with the discs in my signature

Forever? I change up my bag at least once a month, usually more :p It's usually between a few certain molds I like, but... Haha, but thank you, I suppose.

You have a sweet looking bag. Have you tried an escape? The rim isn't that big, and you could probably get more distance that the XL's They're sneaky long. I do like what you have. I've actually been thinking about dropping some discs, and throwing the remaining ones more.

I tried the Hatchet. It's less overstable than the Escape, but similarly sized. Also has crazy glide. But I'm throwing my XL just as far with better accuracy. Maybe I gave up on it too fast?

I tried the Hatchet. It's less overstable than the Escape, but similarly sized. Also has crazy glide. But I'm throwing my XL just as far with better accuracy. Maybe I gave up on it too fast?

I agree with the XL accuracy comment. I was just curious if you got that occasional open, long hole, where you wished for a few more feet. The renegade is also a choice here I suppose. I hate to even screw with your bag though. It really looks like one that was well thought out, and that you could score well with.

Yeah, I'm definitley liking my bag right now. The thing I switch most often is Mids, but I'm enjoying the Fugitive quite a bit. And XLs are my favorite fairway, tied with the Viper. But they both can live in my bag , so I'm happy about that.

How are you liking your Inertia?

Yeah, I'm definitley liking my bag right now. The thing I switch most often is Mids, but I'm enjoying the Fugitive quite a bit. And XLs are my favorite fairway, tied with the Viper. But they both can live in my bag , so I'm happy about that.

How are you liking your Inertia?

At first I got a light one, and found it too understable, but the heavier ones are more in my wheelhouse. It's definitely not a windfighter, but it's a nice, glidey, straightish driver. It would probably be a pretty natural extension off the XL

Forever? I change up my bag at least once a month, usually more :p It's usually between a few certain molds I like, but... Haha, but thank you, I suppose.

i more of meant that viper\xl bit. that and your magnets. i really didnt even notice the mid changes at all lol

Your setup looks pretty solid.

Love the XL. Great compliment to the Eagle X.

How did your Avenger fly? I have one in z plastic and it's too beefy. I can flip a star Orc to flat just like the Eagle. Same thing with the Sidewinder with little or no wind.

For a tailwind bomb, I could get more out of the Sidewinder than the XL. Measured the rim on both and the Sidewinder seemed like a 9.5 and the XL a 6.5 speed.

X Avengers are less beefy, I could throw them moderately well. They were nice and reasonably OS for me. But they had a super dome, so they didn't hold up in the wind, and I wasn't really getting them much farther than my fairways... My Z is a meathook.

Funny you should mention the Orc, I just ordered one. In DX. I know DX sucks in distance drivers, but I figure it'll let me know if I like the mold before it breaks in too much. And hey, it was cheap :p

Blue and pink/red bag!

0519141610_zpsxqrsf1xx.jpg

It's gonna be a bit odd without the green Magnet, but the dark blue should do fine for dubs tonight. Now that I think of it, maybe I should have waited til after dubs so I'd actually have something to say...

Oh. And the Orc is the most comfortable DD in the hand I've thrown. It just fits my hand just right. I haven't really thrown it much, but goodness it's comfy.

Switched my Magnets out for my Rhynos. Just felt like I could do a little better with a more stable putter. I do about the same in the circle with them, but I'm alot more comfortable going for those long putts with them. Not that I actually make any, but I've been hitting the basket alot more :p

Stingray is fun, and still the only non putter I can backhand well. I can actually throw hyzerflips and turnovers, while every other disc (mostly) pretends it's a Wasp. Even my Classic Fugitive. I suppose it would classify as a utility understable, since I can't even throw it forehand unless I need a cut roller, or put nothing on it. But I can get it out past 200 backhand, which is nice. Maybe I could use a fresh one?

I played a round today, at my home course. Course par is 57, shot a 56. (record from me is a 54) I was rather happy with it, I've kinda been in a slump lately, and I think I'm coming out of it. Was throwing some great shots with the Classic Fugitive, laser hyzerflips and gentle turns. I think I'm getting used to it.

Anyway. Here's the new stuff. I'm skipping listing the things that were in my last bag though.

168 DX Orc: Just for funsies.
165 DX Stingray, super beat: Backhand annies, straightish shots, understable approaches, and drives. Only backhand. Forehand laughs.
169 DX Rhyno: It's domey, and doesn't fly much like a Rhyno. Kinda understable, unless I'm backhanding it. I probably use it on half of my approaches, with the Stingray on 30%, and a Champ Rhyno on 20%
175 DX Rhyno: Beaten to just right (although beefier than that first one), putts only. Long putts, short putts, all putts. 100 foot putts even.
171 Champ Rhyno: Kinda domey, kinda gummy, kinda nice. Not as beefy as a Rhyno could be, but very usably overstable.

Important notes:

Lost my Blue X XL in a pond. But there's lots of disc huntery type people there, so I have a pretty good chance of getting it back.

I'm going to a Trilogy Challenge thingy today in South Curolina. I'm thinking I'm gonna like the Thief. Sounds rather XL ish.

How's the Orc working for you? The one I have is 171 star plastic. It's flattish and flies like a brand new 175 champ Beast. If you want more stability, the new champion Orcs that have a lot of dome are extra beefy.

I wanted to add one more disc to my bag, so I had to go back to my Ranger instead of the Crunch Box. And ended up adding a bunch of discs :p

Picked up a light Star Orc today. It's 162 grams. It flies almost exactly like my 168 DX did when it was new, but it'll last quite a bit longer. I assume.

I have been throwing the DX Orc rather well lately, which is what prompted my purchase. Getting within putting range on some holes I've never reached before, it's nice.

So now my bag is...

DX Orc
Star Orc

X XL x2 (I got my lost one back)
Z XL
DX Viper x2
Champ Viper

Z Wasp
Lucid Fugitive
Classic Fugitive
DX Stingray x2

DX Rhyno x3
Champ Rhyno

Going back to Ghosts.

Because I can.

I feel like my mids will always be rotating between Cobras, Ghosts, and Fugitives. Ah well :p

Played a tag round tonight. I think I did okay, but everyone else did okay-er.

I'm liking the Reef. I'm still getting used to it, but I hit some good putts. Even a long one. And almost hit an even longer one.

I'm feeling good about the Ghosts too. Nice and reliable.

I'm not feeling the Orcs so much... I had a long drive with one, but... Other than the 1/10 random long drive I have with my DX Orc, I can get the same distance and lines with my beat Viper. Only difference is I don't get much/any skip out of the Vipers, which is nice sometimes. It's not nice others. I dunno. But this way I can make room for another Reef :p Whenever I get one.

Vipers are awesome. As are XLs. They're the safest discs in my bag. I can't see myself replacing them any time soon.

Time to be a minimalist again :p I feel like I should get to know my main discs better, and I want to beat up my Z XL, but I keep throwing other things instead. Also got a new putter, and I'm gonna stick with it. I'm going to. I'm going to. Yeah, sure :p The Voodoo seems pretty stable, from limited front yard tosses. I think I like it. Not like Rhyno stable, but stable stable. Not OS stable.

So...

minibag2014augh_zps855880c8.png

X XL: This one is starting to get beat up, but it's still stable enough. Maybe -1.5/1.5. Usual max d driver from a flat toss, not quite beat enough for hyzer flipping max d. It's gonna be weird without my pink one.

Z XL: Not beat at all. Probably -.5/2 in terms of turn/fade. Glides less. I use it for lower, flat shots, and predictable stuff. It's got lots of predictability. Best driver in the bag for low ceilings, and skipping off stuff. Like mulch.

Pink Viper: Semi worn in. Might be my favorite driver right now. It doesn't turn much off a hard, flat throw, but it's gotten longer and fades later than it used to. It's also amazing at flex shots. Also sweet glide.

White Viper: Almost fresh. Overstable kinda utility. Yup.

Regular stamp Excel Ghost: Worn in. I like it quite a bit. Goes super straight off a hyzer (usually) and can turn nicely. Also throw it backhand sometimes. Also approach with it sometimes. It's still OS at (very) low power.

Skullboy stamp Excel Ghost: Reasonably fresh. I can throw it hard and almost flat (small hyzer) and get a straight shot with pretty good fade. Reliable and such. I may have to get a fresh one eventually, though.

SSS Voodoo (x2): I haven't thrown them much, but they seem pretty straight stable. Putts, approaches, drives, whatever.I'm not sure if I want to use one Voodoo just for putts, and the other for drives/approaches, or use both for everything, so they wear evenly. Hmmmm...

And that's all. I'll stick with this until... The end of August. Yeah. That sounds good. With the possibility of putting in a fresh Ghost. The VP might make a triumphant return then if these Voodoos are as straight as I think they are.

Let's see if I can fix up that #48 bag tag too :p

Last edited:

Latest posts