• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

I like the Innova Discatcher sport basket better than the M-14. I also like the InStep/Pacific Outdoors baskets better than the M-14 and you can't beat the price (if you can find one).

I am in the market for a practice basket and wanted to get some feedback, Innova's practice basket is around 180. DGA M14 is about 130-140. Of course the tight wad in me wants to save the extra 40-50$. I was wondering if you guys heard any positive or negative comments about either one or both. Any help would be appreciated.

I have the Innova Discatcher Sport. It is a single chain rig and kind of lightweight, so there are more putts that chain-out, spit-through, or bounce straight back off the pole. It would not be great for a temp basket in a tourney. But the way I figure, it can't hurt my game to practice on a basket that doesn't catch as well. I've had it in the backyard year-round in Iowa with snow and all, for 4 years. The paint on the yellow top thingy has faded a bit, and there is a bit of surface rust around the base, but other than that it is in great shape.

Thanks for the info. After some online research, I see that they are all single chain baskets? I guess adding extra chains so your putts don't spit out would be an easy fix. Might go with the In step model. I see it goes for only $90. How do the portable baskets hold up with the weather(elements)? Do they rust easily? Would a person need to put sand bags on the base to secure the basket when practicing? Just curious. Need a practice basket so I don't have to drive to the local course come this winter when I get the urge.

i have an m-14. it is a fickle mistress but one that has made me stronger. it will reject just about every crappy putt you throw at it. if you hit weak side, it will probably fall out. if you putt too hard or too flat it will cut through. i do get some 'good putts' that spit out but not that often. it teaches you how to putt with a certain amount of arc so that the disc is dropping as it hits the chains. you want the chains to help slow down the disc and help it to drop into the basket, not 'catch' it. the chains should not be used as a backstop.

there has been plenty of discussion on adding chains to practice baskets, and this is my opinion: don't do it!! i would rather practice on something that is much harder than anything i will ever see on any course.

my m-14 has been outside for the last two years and has zero rust.

You shouldn't need sandbags. If you cover your basket with an extra large garbage bag, you should have no problems with it holding up outside.

I just got the Innova Ching basket for $129 at Dicks and it suits me just fine. It is sturdier than i thought it would be, and it's portable. Lacks a little authenticity of the other baskets, but it's perfect for my yard, which are shots 80' and in.

Seconded

i have an m-14. it is a fickle mistress but one that has made me stronger. it will reject just about every crappy putt you throw at it. if you hit weak side, it will probably fall out. if you putt too hard or too flat it will cut through. i do get some 'good putts' that spit out but not that often. it teaches you how to putt with a certain amount of arc so that the disc is dropping as it hits the chains. you want the chains to help slow down the disc and help it to drop into the basket, not 'catch' it. the chains should not be used as a backstop.

there has been plenty of discussion on adding chains to practice baskets, and this is my opinion: don't do it!! i would rather practice on something that is much harder than anything i will ever see on any course.

my m-14 has been outside for the last two years and has zero rust.

Good review of the M14s faults. But mine is 2 years old with no rust either. I added some chains cause I am a picky SOB, but it's a good basket.

The instep for $90 is money well spent. We purchased one three years ago and it has been outside most of that time. It is still in good shape. We did add some secondary chains with some S-hooks and that makes it catch pretty well. It is not as nice as my Disc King but it retails for less than 1/4 of the price.

I love my M-14, and for the record, it has two rings of chains. 7 outer, and 7 inner. I never have a problem with it catching if the disc is coming in flat. I don't hyzer putt, so it isn't an issue with me. My step-son hyzers a lot of his putts in, and he gets a ton of spit-outs/blow-throughs.

on the pdga list of approved discs, there is an 'aviar' and an 'aviar putter' - can anyone tell me the difference between the two?

also when did innova start/stop making small bead aviars?

Noob here, with 2 questions. How does cold weather (Colorado) change or affect your discs? Also, i have disced down since starting to play 3 months ago. My "biggest" disc is a star roadrunner (nothing else above a leopard), which i cannot throw anhyzer for the life of me (rhbh). Short of trying for a roller, i throw with a pretty pronounced anny angle, but it flips up, then finishes on a pretty strong hyzer. Thoughts? THanks.

Noob here, with 2 questions. How does cold weather (Colorado) change or affect your discs? Also, i have disced down since starting to play 3 months ago. My "biggest" disc is a star roadrunner (nothing else above a leopard), which i cannot throw anhyzer for the life of me (rhbh). Short of trying for a roller, i throw with a pretty pronounced anny angle, but it flips up, then finishes on a pretty strong hyzer. Thoughts? THanks.

Even new roadrunners will fade at the end. You could try a lower weight, but the plastic the roadrunner is available in is so slow to break in, you will be waiting a long time for it to break in enough to acdtually finish right. And as a newb, you will likely lose it before that happens. I suggest you get a dx teebird and beat it in. Maybe try a lighter weight. Tjhey start out pretty overstable, but it beats in so quickly, the fade will disappear if you play a couple of all teebird rounds on a wooded course. And you can hasten the process by practicing spike hyzers on a gravel road or parking lot. DX valkyrie is also available if you want something a little faster than a teebird.

So I keep reading on disc golf forums about something called an "off season." I've asked some of the other texas disc golfers, but no one seems to know what an "off season" is. Someone suggested that it might refer to mosquito season, when people need to use "off." But I don't know. What else could it be? Can you please enlighten me?

Last edited: