• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

Beginning as a plural variant of lol, Lulz was originally an exclamation but is now often used as a noun meaning interesting or funny internet content.
Lol -> lul; lols -> luls; lolz -> lulz.

Thanky, Spanky! :thmbup:

Did YOU know that a cow moo's through it's mouth but wants to moo through it's nose? Neither did I. :|

Thank you for your question, Mr. Muffin. Due to differing plastic consistencies and varying cooling discrepancies, no two runs of discs are completely alike, especially against different plastics like DX and Champ. Lots of 12x Champ FBs are domey and shunned by traditionalist 11x throwers. Most people like their FBs flat, so if you're one of those people pour some hot water in it and flatten it with a book or something. You may have to repeat this process a few times as plastic has memory and will try to return to its original form.

Thank you very much! :thmbup:

No, I do not care that it is domey. I throw it hard, it falls to the left. Usually about 15-40' shorter than my Wraith, BUT, I know the fbird will fall left, Wraith likes to linger right sometimes.

Anyways, blah blah blah, and i'm out.

What are 'birdie beads' and can do anyone have a pic?

Birdie beads are just some beads on a leather lace. You get a bogey you move a bead down. You get a birdie you move it up. Quick scoring method. At the end of the round you can tell your score by how many bogeys you have.

Birdie Beads:
beads-1.jpg

:cool:

And I just noticed that you're throwing FH. You most likely have a ton of OAT (Off Axis Torque) that is causing the disc to turn over. Does the disc 'flutter' when it comes out of your hand? That will cause a disc to be more understable than it should be.

Work on getting a clean release, and it should clean up the problem.

actually I'm throwing RHBH now I've just not changed that up top. But to answer your question I max that disc at about 400ft. (not Internet distance) if I throw it flat it will flip right to anny, but if I play for the flip it does okay. I'd like to have just a dead straight flow, so I figured a max weight one may not flip.

When it comes to Lat plastic, it seems that weight doesn't really correlate with stability that much. If you want a Flow to be more stable, find a higher PLH one. FWIW, most Lat discs seem to follow the rule that bigger dome = higher PLH. It's not 100%, but a good starting point.

Also consider the Westside VIP Sword, which is the Flow's more neutral Finnish brother.

Okay, that makes sense. My flow is pretty flat. Not super flat but I wouldn't consider it domey by any means. So maybe a more domey one with a higher PLH would be right up my alley?

noob with a few ???'S

hi im eddie aka fast eddie . ive only been playing about 2 months we just got our first course here in denison tx this year.wondering about weights of discs i should be throwing . our course is littered with trees so i must throw everything low. on flat ground with my champion monarch 172g i can throw about 270 ft keeping it only about 15 feet off the deck as to avoid treelimbs. also about the same with my 175g star valkyrie. got a new dx
175g kite & star 175 g stingray today & can out drive both my drivers by 20 foot with them. should i try a liter weight monarch or valkyrie for more distance or just stick with my mid range for drivers? any other tips for a noob would be appriceated .
thanks fast eddie.

I would recommend that you just play with your mids for now. A driver is going to need more torque then a mid. That's probably why your throwing your mids farther then your driver. What I was told to do is drop all my drivers and play with mids to improve my form. It really does work.

Yo...Fast Eddie, stick with Mids and low speed Fairway. It has helped me...a LOT.

What I use:
Discraft Z Glide - Right turn dog legs.
JLS - Straight fairway
Working on a wind driver, I would suggest an XL from Discraft...seems reliable from all the reports.
I putt with a R-Pro Polecat, but that is not everyone's cup o' tea. I like my Ion as an Approach, Long Putter...along with my R-Pro Dart...depending on the line.

Eddie, sounds like innova is whats up your alley so i would suggest a gazelle as your workhorse driver.
A simple bag will be avair (putter), stingray, roc, gazelle, valk, and maybe a whippet, banshee, or firebird.

i did stop this morning on the way home from work & did pick up a 153 champ monarch as i throw my 172 very straight just a bit short i can rip it great also got a dx 150 valkyrie it is awesome aswell much farther than my 175 . but i will continue to use my stingray & kite for alot of my drives.
thanks so much for your help & any other tips u have for a noob ill take them.
fast eddie

I am in the market for a practice basket and wanted to get some feedback, Innova's practice basket is around 180. DGA M14 is about 130-140. Of course the tight wad in me wants to save the extra 40-50$. I was wondering if you guys heard any positive or negative comments about either one or both. Any help would be appreciated.