• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

off season for me is about the mounth or so that there is a foot or more of snow on the ground and there is almost no way to find a disc even if its is the fairway. It just frickin disapears. :wall:

Noob here, with 2 questions. How does cold weather (Colorado) change or affect your discs? Also, i have disced down since starting to play 3 months ago. My "biggest" disc is a star roadrunner (nothing else above a leopard), which i cannot throw anhyzer for the life of me (rhbh). Short of trying for a roller, i throw with a pretty pronounced anny angle, but it flips up, then finishes on a pretty strong hyzer. Thoughts? THanks.

Cold makes your discs stiff and possibly brittle. So DX and similar discs are prone to cracking if you hit a tree hard enough.

How high up are you? At elevation, understable discs tend to fly less so. That's probably part of it. You may have a RR with a really high PLH (parting line height) making it freakishly overstable and/or you may just not be getting it up to speed. Also make sure you aren't throwing really nose up either.

Considering that dx plastic may be too brittle in the cold for you, I have found a 150 champ sidewinder to hold an anny line all the way to the end a lot better than a roadrunner, even a 160 weight roadrunner, which is the minimum available for that mold. So you might try that if you really need something that reaches out further than a mid. But mostly I throw mids for anny lines. The faster discs all have too much fade, and I only turn to the 150 champ sidewinder for an anny in extremely rare situations.

What is this thing called "snow?" How do you pronounce it? Does it rhyme with "plow?"

It's that white frozen water that falls from the sky every year I've lived here. Well, that white frozen water that isn't sleet or hail.

Brother Dave, i'm around 7,500' and i may very well have a high PLH because i try to be conscious of not launching a too low hyzer golf swing. Jenb, My RR is a 171 gram. Should i try my Star Mako 168? It is absolutely my favorite mid.

Brother Dave, i'm around 7,500' and i may very well have a high PLH because i try to be conscious of not launching a too low hyzer golf swing. Jenb, My RR is a 171 gram. Should i try my Star Mako 168? It is absolutely my favorite mid.

PLH is "Parting Line Height." It's that flashing line around the rim of the disc where the two mold pieces came apart. Discs of the same mold can have different PLH, and the lower the PLH, the less stable it will be. That's thought to be why beating in a disc makes it less stable. The gentle massaging of the rim by affectionate trees lowers the PLH.

I love a mako for straight shots, but I actually turn to a stiffer plastic disc for annies and put lots of spin on them. In the cold, that mako will likely stiffen up. I'd give it a try. The key is to get it high on an anny release with lots of spin so it holds the line. If you need to execute a lower ceiling shot, you'll need to forehand something overstable. If you are looking for something that you can release hyzer and get it to turn over and finish right, you're either going to have to have spend months beating something in, or just carry several new dx wolfs in case one shatters on you. Watch out though, those wolfs will turn over and roll on you if you're not careful. Don't juice them too much.

I feel like the colder it is, the less stable my discs tend to be. However, this could be a factor of having to wear more clothing to stay warm which restricts your movement and doesn't allow you to get as much power or snap out of the disc as you normally would. Especially if your hands are cold and you can't grip the disc as hard.

Lil oz, yes you should throw your mako instead.
A rr is not discd down. Not only that, but i find true stable (straight) discs, like comets/makos, to be more dependable on turnovers and annys then understable molds once you get them down.
Imo, part of discing down is not just to.throw slower discs, but to learn the versitility of the mold and use them for an array of shots. Plus dd'n is great in the winter since clothing restrictions make it hard to pull in close to the chest.

I searched, I looked through the threads, I'd still like to know; Why bottom stamp the DX Aviar? It doesn't feel any different, and DX doesn't take dye well, so why spend the money to have a die made to stamp them on the bottom? Whats the general consensus?

cuz it's neat.
/question.

Pretty much. No stamp on the top gives it a nice clean look that a lot of people like and the Aviar is one of Innova's signature molds so it makes sense for them. The bottom stamp Roc is the best though, can't beat the Hank Hill looking dude on there.

They say DX is the worst to dye. Doesn't take well at all. I tried one. Was my first and only attempt. Did not go well. Purple came out mottled pink and only kinda purple. The stamp held more dye than the disc.

maybe it's just me but seems like nearly every b/s aviar i've seen is a bit softer/more pliable than typical current production dx.

What are people talking about when they say '10x champ leopard' or something like that? What does the number at the beginning represent?

I can't figure out what a "zipper top" disc is, or how it is different from non zipper top discs.

Enlighten me please.

Run your thumbnail across the top of the disc, if it makes a sound like a zipper... Groves wear into the molds eventually and you get the zipper top effect. It's not unlike the grooves in a vinyl record.

If I'm not mistaken those very small grooves are there for a reason? I'm not so sure about them, but have always been curios as to why they are there on some discs but not on others.

Latest posts