• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

So I have a Z predator that has crosshatching at the bottom of the inside of the rim. I am assuming that this is to give grip. It was there when I bought the disc brand new. I haven't seen any other predators or discs with this. Is this something they just produced once and then got rid of it?

So I have a Z predator that has crosshatching at the bottom of the inside of the rim. I am assuming that this is to give grip. It was there when I bought the disc brand new. I haven't seen any other predators or discs with this. Is this something they just produced once and then got rid of it?

no, actually I think all of the new ones should be like that. The cross hatching is where they etched out the "licensed under U.S. patent (patent number here)" tooling, and since that patent (the one for beveled edged discs) has expired, they have to/don't need to have it there anymore.

Couple of questions:
1. Do vibram discs contain latex in them? If not, what discs would you recommend for a beginner/intermediate.
2. Are any of the mvp discs suitable for beginners/intermediates?

Run your thumbnail across the top of the disc, if it makes a sound like a zipper... Groves wear into the molds eventually and you get the zipper top effect. It's not unlike the grooves in a vinyl record.

If I'm not mistaken those very small grooves are there for a reason? I'm not so sure about them, but have always been curios as to why they are there on some discs but not on others.

I would think that it was due to machineing the mold. So I'd expect it to be on the mold when its new, gradually wearing away.

Couple of questions:
1. Do vibram discs contain latex in them? If not, what discs would you recommend for a beginner/intermediate.

1. I do not know

2. Both the Ion and Axis would be great for beginners and intermediates, the vector would be fine for intermediates.

Couple of questions:

1. Dunno. Send a PM to StevenDodge. He'd be able to get you all the info that you need.

2. Sure. What Mr. Orange said.

First of all, I'm hooked
Have a good buddy who's been playing DG for nearly 10 years and he's recently introduced me to the sport. Needless to say I love this game!

Only issue is that I'm so new that I have little to no idea what people are talking about (online and on the course) in regards to the technicalities of the sport.
What I'm really needing now is a breakdown of discs:
What benefit does one plastic have over the other?
What difference does the shape of a rim make on the flight of a disc (and how can you tell which one is better for the throw you're trying to make)?
Where can I find a reference to tell if a disc is overstable/understable and what speed it is?

Thanks to the info from my buddy and some of the posts on this thread, I'm slowly but surely learning the mechanics of the sport. Now all that's lacking is the "WHY" - if you know what I mean ...

Any help (or references) here would be greatly appreciated

Tony

First of all, I'm hooked
Have a good buddy who's been playing DG for nearly 10 years and he's recently introduced me to the sport. Needless to say I love this game!

Only issue is that I'm so new that I have little to no idea what people are talking about (online and on the course) in regards to the technicalities of the sport.
What difference does the shape of a rim make on the flight of a disc (and how can you tell which one is better for the throw you're trying to make)?
Where can I find a reference to tell if a disc is overstable/understable and what speed it is?

Thanks to the info from my buddy and some of the posts on this thread, I'm slowly but surely learning the mechanics of the sport. Now all that's lacking is the "WHY" - if you know what I mean ...

Tony

Here are a number of charts that can help you with disc selection. Be sure and read the information in the margins.

http://www.innovadiscs.com/downloads/disc-selection-charts.html
http://www.marshallstreetdiscgolf.com/media/flightguide.html
http://gottagogottathrow.com/discgo...1.pdf?osCsid=9ded7ad3759d68fea2bbb1ad19f968ff
https://www.altitudediscgolf.com/Altitude Disc Golf Flight Chart.pdf

Premium plastic (champion, star, esp, z, etc.) takes longer to break in, so it remains more stable, which makes it better in a headwind, but maybe too stable for calm weather or tailwind. Base plastic (dx, x, pro, etc.) breaks in more quickly, so a disc mold that starts out too stable will more quickly become less stable and fly straighter, but then also start turning over before long. It's a tradeoff. Most people prfer premium plastic in their drivers, and base plastic in putters. For mids, I like more stable mids to be in premium plastic so they will retain that stability. For less stable mids, I prefer to get somewhat stable mids in base plastic and break them in, because I like the stiffness of the base plastic.

Here is an article on windplay that will help you figure out how to use the right disc at the right time.

http://www.discraft.com/res_wind06_p1.html

First of all, I'm hooked

Tony

I know its alot but read this whole thread it will help you tons.

Here are a number of charts that can help you with disc selection. Be sure and read the information in the margins.

http://www.innovadiscs.com/downloads/disc-selection-charts.html
http://www.marshallstreetdiscgolf.com/media/flightguide.html
http://gottagogottathrow.com/discgo...1.pdf?osCsid=9ded7ad3759d68fea2bbb1ad19f968ff
https://www.altitudediscgolf.com/Altitude Disc Golf Flight Chart.pdf

Premium plastic (champion, star, esp, z, etc.) takes longer to break in, so it remains more stable, which makes it better in a headwind, but maybe too stable for calm weather or tailwind. Base plastic (dx, x, pro, etc.) breaks in more quickly, so a disc mold that starts out too stable will more quickly become less stable and fly straighter, but then also start turning over before long. It's a tradeoff. Most people prfer premium plastic in their drivers, and base plastic in putters. For mids, I like more stable mids to be in premium plastic so they will retain that stability. For less stable mids, I prefer to get somewhat stable mids in base plastic and break them in, because I like the stiffness of the base plastic.

Here is an article on windplay that will help you figure out how to use the right disc at the right time.

http://www.discraft.com/res_wind06_p1.html

Wow! You have no idea how much this helps!
I've actually seen a few of these links in the past but it was so much information (and I wasn't exactly sure how to sort through some of it), so I was kind of overwhelmed and gave up.

Great info though, I'll definitely go through those links

I know its alot but read this whole thread it will help you tons.

Started to, haha! Got to page 8 before I realized that there was nearly 300 pages in this thread!
Will make it a point to review the info though, thanks steveo

Started to, haha! Got to page 8 before I realized that there was nearly 300 pages in this thread!
Will make it a point to review the info though, thanks steveo

Yes lotz of info. About 6 mounths ago I did read the whole thing and my brain was smokeing. But when I was done I felt that I had a very good idea of what I was doing. Do it in chunks read like 10 or 20 pages a night and just work on it as you can.

Off Axis Torque, imparting a counterproductive force on a disc.

Heat, either in a microwave, leave in the sun all day, or hot water with a weighing agent (large books for example) placed on top. (usually you turn the disc upside down first). Plastic has memory so you will probably have to repeat to get it to stick.

i use hot water with a large textbook and a crate of vinyl records on top for disc flattening. works best with dx/pro type plastics. i use it for fixing discs that have gotten out of shape from tree hits, never to purposefully take dome out.

Update: have made it to page number 23 on this thread and have checked out the noob primer pretty extensively (thanks BroDave)
Have already learned so much about gripping, ripping, and throwing, and looking forward to applying this new knowledge on the course ... if only I could take a week off from work ... *sigh

This being said, I do have a question that I do not know will have an answer.

I have taken a look at the links jenb has provided above and become very familiar with Innova's disc rating format. In fact, I'm getting so comfortable with it that I'm actually beginning a list of new discs I want to purchase to play around with (three days ago I had not a clue what I wanted).

So, now that I am familiarizing myself with Innova's disc ratings, I find myself in a quandary: all of my discs are Discraft! Besides Joe's chart, is there something else that will correlate the ratings of my Discraft discs to Innova's formula (or vise versa)?

Thanks,
Tony

The only thing I can think of off hand is looking at discs on discgolfcenter.com. They take every disc and more or less run it through Innova-speak for the ratings. Be forewarned though, sometimes they're way off base on some ratings. Marshall Street also has an all inclusive chart as well. And Discnation has an interesting format for their discs also.

Latest posts