• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

I don't think this question is THAT dumb, I just did not want to start a thread. YES, its an ace question.

If a course rule on a missed mandatory is 'play it as it lies +1,' would an ACE be scored +1 or +2?

+1 for missed mando and it's lie is in the basket, or
+2 for missed mando, and playing it as it lies would be to re-place it in a score-able position.

Just curious if anyone has a real answer to this?

I would say call it a 2, 1 stroke into the basket and 1 stroke for missing the mando if that's how the course rules on the mando.

Sounds like the course rule doesn't match the PDGA rules. If you miss a mando, you need to throw the next shot from the drop zone (if provided) or near the mando missed (1m back within 5m of the mando).

I don't see a reason the TD couldn't designate your lie as the drop zone for a missed mando in a tournament.

^It is a "speed of play" rule. Not official, I guess, but it is a house rule. It's a 9 hole course with 3 permanent pins at each tee...when it gets busy, it gets busy FAST.

Based on the definition of a drop zone in the rules, I'd have to disagree.

Agree, no ace, you played the hole wrong. Now if it wasn't a pdga, then it's all up to the house rules (ovbiously not governed by pdga).

Didn't at one point a missed mando give you the option of taking throw +1 or drop zone / retee? If so, that would bring the ace question in play. I would say it would be a 2 in that case.

It should be a circle 3 if there is not a drop zone for the missed mando.

I just realized I worded my question dumbly...not +1 and +2, but rather, the 'missed-mando ace' being penalized one stroke or two. I certainly agree that it is NOT an ace, but since the course has no drop zones, the question pertained to needing to either 'place' the disc in the basket for a score of 3, or is the disc already IN the basket for a score of 2.

Any So Cal people, I am referring to HOLE 2 RED (or even blue for that matter) at RABBIT FLATS. Have you ever had this dilemma?

The moment that disc passes the mando on the wrong side, it doesn't matter where your disc goes, retee OR specified drop zone per pdga.

^True, unless the course has a specific 'speed of play' rule requiring you to play the disc from its lie, as stated in the original question.

^^JCF wow, that thread made my head hurt! Sounds like one of the many bros in their Famous Stars & Straps tank tops I saw out there yesterday.

^ i understand what your trying to say, but I'm saying that "course rule" is not legit. You're trying to define a circumstance via pdga by using a non legit pdga mando situation.

if you want PDGA rules to cover the situation:

You passed the mandatory on the wrong side and discovered it before a subsequent throw.

You always have the option of going back to the previous lie (the tee in this case) with a 1-stroke penalty.

Otherwise you go to the drop zone. 803.12c says "In cases where the drop zone is not designated, the lie is marked within five meters of the mandatory object and one meter behind the mandatory line"

The mandatory line, if not marked, is "a straight line through the mandatory, perpindicular to the line from the tee to the mandatory" [803.12(2)]

You're shooting three from either the tee or the drop zone - your choice.

Based on the definition of a drop zone in the rules, I'd have to disagree.

True, but I'm pretty sure if you applied for a special condition to run that specific hole that way in a tournament it would be approved, much stranger 'house rules' have been applied in tournaments.

True, but I'm pretty sure if you applied for a special condition to run that specific hole that way in a tournament it would be approved, much stranger 'house rules' have been applied in tournaments.

Yes, the definition of a drop zone only comes into play if there was not already one designated by the course designer or the tournament director. A TD could certainly put the drop zone under the basket if he/she so chooses.

...but, even if the drop zone is "where the disc lies" and the disc is in the basket, the lie is actually on the ground directly below where the disc is suspended in midair. Still a one-stroke penalty and a 3 for the hole.

I'm pretty sure if the disc is in the correct basket your lie would be in the basket. You'd be correct if it was in the wrong basket, you'd have to mark it down on the playing surface, but it's different when it's in the correct one I think.

If play isn't over, the lie must be on the ground. Can't be in the basket.

If play is considered over in this case, it's still a three - 1 throw plus a 2-stroke penalty for completing the hole without ever successfully naviagting the mandatory.

...however, crazy drop zones aside, the real (PDGA) answer is my first post above . . . you're shooting three from either the drop zone or the tee - your choice. If there is a mandatory, there is always a (PDGA) drop zone.

I assume you're talking pdga rules. As long as the previously thrown disc is flat on the ground, you can throw from behind it. If it's off the ground or you're relocating your lie due to missed mando/ob or near ob/some kind of relief you need to mark it with a mini. Flipping the disc is not allowed. Many leagues are a lot more casual about marking lies though.

You'd have to use a mini.

The previous disc can only be used as a marker if it's not moved. In any of these scenarios we've been discussing, the previous disc would have to be moved before the next throw.

edit: what he said^

Last edited:

Latest posts