• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Official Ask Discmania Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not having Innova make discs for DM + the hints that Originals are not going away makes me think some of the theories I've seen out there might have something to them.

Either: DM acquired 5 most popular molds and will run them at Lat64 or, Innova will make the Originals, i.e. DM sold them the names too.

Sounds wild but what else can it be really. Oh well 32 hours will tell. Its going to be big whatever it is. Fun times!

(And now its me with the wild speculation lol)

Not having Innova make discs for DM + the hints that Originals are not going away makes me think some of the theories I've seen out there might have something to them.

Either: DM acquired 5 most popular molds and will run them at Lat64 or, Innova will make the Originals, i.e. DM sold them the names too.

Sounds wild but what else can it be really. Oh well 32 hours will tell. Its going to be big whatever it is. Fun times!

(And now its me with the wild speculation lol)

welcome to the speculation party!! Yeah, Jussi wearing the Originials hoodie at the end? "Discmania Day 1 Live" tease? Is it possible Discmania going to start actually producing their own discs, starting with the 5 originals they spoke about? Honestly, that would be the absolute best case scenario for them.

Looked like Ricky threw a PD2 in his practice round . . wonder if he will still throw that after the 21th

Looked like Ricky threw a PD2 in his practice round . . wonder if he will still throw that after the 21th

He's been throwing it a lot in recent coverage, especially at The Fort, when he needed the extra stability for a spike hyzer.
I've been thinking about the same question…

I'll still be surprised if Jussi COMPLETELY cuts ties with Innova to the point of losing his most popular molds.
It'll be interesting to see how it pans out.

Also, I have to keep in mind that Jussi's background is in marketing, not manufacturing.
He may be willing to take the hit, thinking he can "market" his way through it.
After all, he's done really well with marketing so far, turning a niche company without a single molding machine into a disc powerhouse that can't get enough discs to meet demand.

I'll still be surprised if Jussi COMPLETELY cuts ties with Innova to the point of losing his most popular molds.
It'll be interesting to see how it pans out.

Also, I have to keep in mind that Jussi's background is in marketing, not manufacturing.
He may be willing to take the hit, thinking he can "market" his way through it.
After all, he's done really well with marketing so far, turning a niche company without a single molding machine into a disc powerhouse that can't get enough discs to meet demand.

I hope you are right. But we might need these.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 904D4179-292F-469D-AF49-904D9DD615FB.jpg
    904D4179-292F-469D-AF49-904D9DD615FB.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 148
DM has demonstrated that they will produce what their big names (Simon and Eagle and maybe a few others) want.
Some questions that may be answered soon…
1. Will DM pros still be able to throw Originals? (Probably yes)

I'm not too sure about this one. They can throw them as long as they are still available...but pros go through discs pretty regularly. If the discs aren't being made anymore...how many are still available? How many do the pros have left in their possession? Are the pros really willing to spend big bucks buying the Originals online, knowing that sellers are going to ask huge amounts since they aren't being made anymore? Or is Jussi going to buy all the available Originals online so he can give them to his pros and make them happy?

And then.....what happens when the Originals are truly gone?

I think the DM pros will have to switch to the new lines. It might be possible that the contracts give them an out if they can't get the discs they throw....but I doubt that.

What do I think will happen? I think the pros will continue using their supply of Originals and practice with the new lines. Then eventually, they will be forced to move to the new lines (due to lack of Originals) and their rankings/ratings will drop. They won't meet bonuses and eventually move on from DM.

It will be a shame.....but the new lines are different from the Originals. There's another thread on this issue in the General part of the forum and either there or here, someone says they run a store and cannot sell the new DM plastic at all.

My favorite Uli line seems to fit this (and so many other situations) perfectly....
Uli said:
Let's see how it plays out.

What do I think will happen? I think the pros will continue using their supply of Originals and practice with the new lines. Then eventually, they will be forced to move to the new lines (due to lack of Originals) and their rankings/ratings will drop. They won't meet bonuses and eventually move on from DM.

If pros can't successfully compete with whatever discs are in Discmania's product line, then Discmania will have bigger problems than simply the loss of some relationship with Innova. It will mean they will lack of a viable lineup of discs. Conversely, if certain pros can't adapt to a new, viable, product line, those pros have bigger issues that won't be solved by going to a different sponsor.

So, assuming Discmania is capable of arriving at a viable product line, sponsored player performance issues should be short lived. Yes, the loss of certain favorite discs would mean that there would be less friction for a pro to leave DM, but that's all it would mean.

Thinking about it, I'd guess that DM will continue selling discs that bear the OL names, however they manage to produce them. Given that various runs of discs, especially Innova discs, have such potentially dramatically different characteristics, it would be somewhat of a surprise if they couldn't work with their pros to create molds and runs that gave those pros the performance they wanted out of a "PD2", etc. It's not as if pro ITBs don't have multiples of the same disc that fly differently from each other out of the mold, and are prized for their slightly different flight characteristics.

I'm not too sure about this one. They can throw them as long as they are still available...but pros go through discs pretty regularly. If the discs aren't being made anymore...how many are still available? How many do the pros have left in their possession? Are the pros really willing to spend big bucks buying the Originals online, knowing that sellers are going to ask huge amounts since they aren't being made anymore? Or is Jussi going to buy all the available Originals online so he can give them to his pros and make them happy?

And then.....what happens when the Originals are truly gone?

I think the DM pros will have to switch to the new lines. It might be possible that the contracts give them an out if they can't get the discs they throw....but I doubt that.

It will be a shame.....but the new lines are different from the Originals. There's another thread on this issue in the General part of the forum and either there or here, someone says they run a store and cannot sell the new DM plastic at all.
I bet Avery has at least 500 of each of the popular Originals discs laying around. That dude has a lot of plastic

First, DG Pros typically have fairly large stashes of plastic. They are their "tools of the trade", and they get them free, by the boxes, especially elite Pros. Even if they don't happen to have a backup of a particular disc, the Pros trade and sell and gift each other discs constantly.
Second, DG Pros could throw garbage can lids and beat most us. We've seen pro after pro switch sponsors and not miss a beat. I would bet money that Eagle could drop his Originals and still compete and win week after week.
Still, Jussi is a smart dude (IMHO), and he'll figure this out and come up smelling like roses.

First, DG Pros typically have fairly large stashes of plastic. They are their "tools of the trade", and they get them free, by the boxes, especially elite Pros. Even if they don't happen to have a backup of a particular disc, the Pros trade and sell and gift each other discs constantly.
Second, DG Pros could throw garbage can lids and beat most us. We've seen pro after pro switch sponsors and not miss a beat. I would bet money that Eagle could drop his Originals and still compete and win week after week.
Still, Jussi is a smart dude (IMHO), and he'll figure this out and come up smelling like roses.

But Simon and Eagle won't beat Ricky or Paul with garbage lids. A huge part of 'feel' is loving what you throw: being excited to pick up a mold each time is crucial.

Eagle has been throwing the Splice and Mutant, which are similar to his FD3 and MD5's.

So far, from what I've seen on coverage, he's not throwing those molds as well as the Originals versions.

Been thinking on this today and if our friends cook up a Vapur Lux FD after the dust settles, all (or at least most) will be forgiven.

Bruh, reading comprehension.

Not throwing those molds as well as the Originals versions.

I was referencing the comment right before mine about liking a certain "feel" of a disc.

I would have to disagree. He is throwing the Mutant extremely well, getting his forehand upshots super close in pretty windy conditions. Same goes for the splice. Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of the originals but I don't think its correct to say he isn't throwing the new discs well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts