• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Official Ask Discmania Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a couple of the older 'champystar' FD's in the garage, and recently threw one in the bag, but I'm just not impressed with the LSS. The glide is insane and I like the bit of turn at high speed, but would really love to get my hands on something with the same glide and HSS, but that has a strong fade.

If they could make an S-line that was like the 3rd/4th run C-lines, that would be perfect. Hell, if they'd just bring back the 2nd and 3rd/4th run C-lines, I'd be in FD nirvana!

Please do this. I'm scared to death of losing my C line FD. I have thrown the new runs but they just don't quite do the same thing for me

Please do this. I'm scared to death of losing my C line FD. I have thrown the new runs but they just don't quite do the same thing for me

Have you tried an FD2? I don't use them (until S Line happens) but that was supposed to be the 2nd run copy (and readily available)

Fd2 is much beefier. Almost banshee beefy at least beefy teebird beefy.

I am glad I have 4 3rd runs and a few 4th runs.

Anyone know which run a more opaque slightly pearly (but less so than 2nd run) NO bubbles in the rim would be? I have one and its nice.

I'd been pretty nervous about losing my 3rd run C-FD. Finally found a back up for it, but a fresh P-line is like my beat 3rd run before it started to get flippy (just starting to see enough turn that it is squirreling out of my laser lines) so I'm using it in that slot until it breaks in. I don't yet have backups for my 2nd run, but I'm not too worried about losing it; I don't throw it in very high risk situations. I use it to stay/get OUT of trouble. I like my 5th runs just fine, but yeah; it's nice to dream about what the 6th runs might become.

Question: I ordered some star gremlins from the pro shop and they don't have a bead. The one I bought from the store does have a bead. Which one is a true gremlin and what is the other disc.

Also is the gremlin really the old mellenium ching sniper? With or without the bead?

Question: I ordered some star gremlins from the pro shop and they don't have a bead. The one I bought from the store does have a bead. Which one is a true gremlin and what is the other disc.

Also is the gremlin really the old mellenium ching sniper? With or without the bead?

I know it was the innova gremlin before DM

The Ching Sniper became the old Innova Gremlin. The first runs (DX and Champ) had a big bead and then they produced star without a bead (maybe even some champ runs?). I believe now the Gremlin molded for Discmania is beaded. Is the star you bought being sold as CFR? I am guessing they still produce the old less stable Gremlins in the star plastic for the fans of those. So to answer your question, both are true Gremlins, just different iterations. It would be a safe bet to say that all Gremlins in local shops are beaded and run for Discmania. The Innova pro shop can be more precise on the runs :)

I've posted a video of the new PDX on my instagram if you are interested in how it flies. I'd say it's a longer and more stable PD. Comfortable rim and mild dome. Flies far, but not as far as my PD2. If you have slower armspeed and the PD2 is too stable for you, the PDX should fit you well.

So the description that it is between the PD and PD2 is correct. Both stability and length wise!

Check out the video here:
https://www.instagram.com/p/_rS2JsyywX/

I've had a couple p-line DD for a while now but never really gave them a shot. I've got the PD CD DD2 and PD2 in multiple plastics but I decided to bag the DD today and I'm impressed. Reminds me of a good stable destroyer. Less than my pd2 but still Damn stable. Flicks were on point. Think it's staying in the bag. P-line plastic is so ��

I hope the next mold released by discmania is distinctive.

Seems like the fd3\pdx are too close too the current pd\ dd offerings. I totally understand if their trying to rebrand the dd into the PD family, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Idk.. As as discmaniac I've been underwhelmed as of late. None of the new releases have offered me anything I don't already have.

Fd3 just isn't a firebird replacement.

Pdx well I already have first run pds and dds...

I really think that the line up could have used a true firebird\max esq utility driver, gator\drone competitor, some sort of reboot that is the domey, funky feeling, goofy looking p3 waay before the pdx\fd3.

Seriously the p3 should be a flat top processed every time rebrand on the piggy\hhaawwgg. The current p3 seems is so passable compared to other options in the same slot.

Last edited:

Idk.. As as discmaniac I've been underwhelmed as of late. None of the new releases have offered me anything I don't already have.

I really think that the line up could have used a true firebird\max esq utility driver, gator\drone competitor, some sort of reboot that is the domey, funky feeling, goofy looking p3 waay before the pdx\fd3.

Seriously the p3 should be a flat top processed every time rebrand on the piggy\hhaawwgg. The current p3 seems is so passable compared to other options in the same slot.

It's a unique vision that Jussi has for this company, because the goal is to have 1 mold for each slot, not a lot of "beginner" stuff, and be ultra professional. I love it. However, it's a unique situation because you can't release 3-6 molds or more every calendar year.

You can go through an see the gaps between the entire market and the DiscMania line up are tons of understable discs, and crazy almost-unusable-overstable discs. Almost is the key word though.

If you were to compare the whole DM family to the rest of the world, there's no:
- Out of the Box Understable
- Crazy OS flat top putter
- " " Mid
- " " Fairway

So that's 4 molds left to release. Maybe a flippy putter, but not expected (yet) from the trajectory of the company.

You had the FD2 in response to the 2nd Run FD, you have the PDx in response to the FR PD (I think) - which i think is right thinking to try and make a "timeless" (in I believe Jussi's word) line of discs. 2nd run FDs won't be around forever (just sold a few myself, don't need um, waiting for the S CD2) so the attempt to make things like the PDx I think make sense.

If there's only a handful of slots left, what then do you do as a company? Install courses/"grow the sport" to sell more plastic i suppose. I think there's room to grow your market share/convert the competition throwers to your brand to sell more discs, rather than releasing a new dumb mold every month as well.

"None of the new releases have offered me anything I don't already have." That's kinda the point - This will really really be the point in a few years I expect, except there won't be any releases at all.

Let's assume in January DM releases a Zone, Comet, Gator, Firebird-X disc, and you buy a handful of each in your favorite plastic.

What could you possibly ask for after that?

I can only think of a beaded P2... I like,no, LOVE the feeling of a Yeti rim. I like a dead straight putter though so the P1x works great, although it has a low sloping shoulder to make it straight, and the bead far under the VTech bottom, it doesn't feel the same as other OS type beaded putters. A beaded XP2x I think would sell 1,000,000 units in year one and the KP2x about 3MM units, but that's just me.

I will preface this long ramble with this; Discmania has been very clear they are not in the business of replicating molds from other companies and do extensive testing on molds they feel fit their lineup.

The FD3 for example, is a success in creating an overstable fairway driver (especially in S-line). If people want a firebird, then they should just throw a firebird. The FD3 was never created to be a "firebird killer", but was created to be a mold in it's own right. It's great OS disc that is extremely versatile and controllable. I found utilizing my angle of release has made this mold easier to throw/control when compared to my old firebirds.

If you read the description of the CD2, they recognize it may seem clsoe to the CD/PD, but flies more seasoned out of box. I found the CD2, when compared to both molds, easier to throw and work on various lines. In that aspect, I consider a separate mold and working well next to the CD and PD. When spend a year beating in a CD, when the CD2 can cover it out of box?

The only overlap thus far I can agree with is the PDX and PD. The site description reads "It has an extra click of speed compared to the original PD and the base of its design comes from the highly praised first run of the C-line PD" hence they knew they were creating an overlap, but saw a need for this. With this being released as a fundraiser only, it's an easier decision to make it overlap an existing mold. For those not so lucky to have first run PDs, this is a great and affordable option.

I posted this earlier in the thread, but DM is a company that will make a disc for each gap and then be done with new molds. In my opinion they are only missing four molds to the lineup: A very OS mid, an OS putter, an addition to the TD family and an extreme beef addition to the PD2 family. Now this doesn't mean they should clone a gator, jokeri, roadrunner and max, this means they have room to grow their own molds and create a disc that stands on it's own and isn't known as a "clone". Beyond that continuing to release their existing molds in new plastics, will create a nice balance and have slight differences across a mold. I for one cannot wait for the CD2 and FD2 in s-line (maybe 2016!?) and for molds to get the MF treatment eventually.

Last edited:
I think that your responses are well articulated and make good points. The memtion of other molds was for comparisons sake.

As for the fd3, I understand that it wasn't a fird bird killer. What I don't understand is why that mold warrented realease (along with the cd2\pdx) before the slots that need to be filled were. It sits right in the middle of when an fd2 is powered up or a pd is powered down? the whole notion of not having an oversatrated line up seems to be going to the wind.

Really and truly what does the fd3 over that multiple runs of pds or fd2s?

Again between the plastics available for both the td\cd (d\p\s\c) I don't see how the cd2 was a priority over other options. If the CD was phased out of this line up it would make sense. Why make both?

Now the fd2? Absolutely made sense. Designed after a popular varient run and is far enough removed from it's predaseccor that it doesn't overlap, but compliments.

I'm a discmaniac and I know full well that my opinions are just that, opinions. It just feels like last few releases are just filler and fluff compared to the flagship (p2/md3/fd/pd/dd/dd2) \ soon to be flagship molds (md4 etc.).

Please keep the D-Line mix the same for your next batch of P2's, or any baseline plastic mold for that matter. This current formulation is fantastic.

Thank you, we work hard on making our discs feel and fly the best possible way.

i have an idea for a a new discmania mold, the gm2. its the gm "bottom" and the blunt and flat topped gator "top".

That's an interesting combo idea. We'll keep it in mind for future productions.

$$$

"V-Tech Greater Gator"

"GG" "VGG" "VGM" "GMx"

Oh... And use "real" S-Line plastic :)

Also another interesting idea. We'll keep it in mind.

Keep up the good work! Don't want to stroke the ego too much but you guys really are the best and have second to none customer service.

Snatched a few G-line P1x today. Can't wait to throw them.

Thanks for the kind words! We really appreciate it. I'll make sure to pass it on to everyone.

G-p1x? Thats a thing??

Yes it is. Very straight flying driving and approach putter. We've even had a few people use it as a full time putting putter.

Wow. Still awaiting to try out the KP P-P1xs here in good ol Finland.

That's unfortunate that they never made it over there. We had tried to set aside a selection to make it to the Innova Store but there must have been a miscommunication. We sincerely apologize for them not being available.

I saw it reccomended earlier, and I will point it out again... SFD2! The FD2 is taking more and more shots on the course. Money FH and BH. I would love to beat in an SLine, it may be closer to the 2nd run fd than before...

We hear you :) as you can see we have been working on a few other things (PDx, McBeth P2, etc..) and one day we'll be able to offer every Discmaniac what they want.

Since day one of the FD2 being released I have wanted S-line! please please please!

We hear you :)

I've heard rumors that this might happen shortly after the 1st of the year.

hmmm... where did you hear these rumors?

I love the look of my Swirls! I've started to bag a lot of them due to their unique design BUT the base colors are usually a tint of brown or natural earth tones - Colorado is pretty brown 9 months out of the year. How do you choose your color combos and will we ever see more vibrant Swirlies?

Thank you for the input, we are working on making some more vibrant colors. Actually the more brown colors have come in the past when we tried to use more vibrant colors. For some reason they like to blend a little more. But, that being said we are working on it!

I love rumors. Pretty much the only thing to do in the winter anyway :)

No putting?

oh, and apparently G-DDs are a thing also, given that I just ordered one this morning (y)

They are a thing. They also fly like the coveted 2nd run S-LINE DD. They get much further down the fairway and have a less pronounced fade.

Super excited to test the one I have coming for long flexing shots. I imagine the glide will be immense!

Let us know what you think!

This is when the color scheme handcuffs me. Would have already ordered the G P1x and G DD if there were any blue, purple, pink :(

That's unfortunate. We tried to pick the brightest colors for fall and winter golf. We'll try harder next time.

Yay rumors!

I to have avoided swirlies due to colorado colors. I dont need them though, my bag is nearly all C-line minus one PD2 and 1 FD (and maybe a FD2 come the new year?)

C-LINE has always been very popular. Why is C-LINE your favorite plastic?

What are the most OS S-FD's these days? Hybrid? Swirls?

almost all S-LINE FDs are very close to the same flight. We had a handful of harder hybrid plastic S-FDs that were the most overstable for S-LINE.

Hybrids are far from OS. In fact, most of the Hybrid's that I have are a little less stable for an FD.

That's very interesting, we have found that to be the opposite. We have had a few people call in and say they had the same problem but we found out they were comparing them to 2nd runs or their C-LINE counterpart.

Odd I got a few and have one in the bag now and it is more stable than a jackal stamped s line I tested out a couple years ago it's honestly only a tick less stable than my 4th run c line both are max weight.

This is more of what we find.

FYI
DGWT_PDX_DM-net_FEATURED.jpg

https://www.discmania.net/2015/12/15/discmania-pdx-exclusive-disc-golf-world-tour-fundraiser/

What have people thought about the PDx so far?

That's interesting. I have two of the Hybrids from about a year ago and they were noticeably less stable than my S-Line's. Out of the box they were similar in flight to the new P-Line FD's. I might have to snag a couple of the newer run hybrids that are on their site right now and see if they have a little more stability. I love the hybrid plastic mix, so if I can find a Hybrid FD with a notch more stability than the one that's in my bag, I'd be down for that.

Hm, thank you very much for the insight.

I have a couple of the older 'champystar' FD's in the garage, and recently threw one in the bag, but I'm just not impressed with the LSS. The glide is insane and I like the bit of turn at high speed, but would really love to get my hands on something with the same glide and HSS, but that has a strong fade.

If they could make an S-line that was like the 3rd/4th run C-lines, that would be perfect. Hell, if they'd just bring back the 2nd and 3rd/4th run C-lines, I'd be in FD nirvana!

The 2nd run C-FD is very very hard to recreate. But we'll keep trying to make the FD the best fairway driver in disc golf.

Which run are you using?

Have you tried an FD2? I don't use them (until S Line happens) but that was supposed to be the 2nd run copy (and readily available)

We have found that if you drop to 170-172 grams on the FD2 it flies even closer to the 2nd run C-LINE FD.

Fd2 is much beefier. Almost banshee beefy at least beefy teebird beefy.

I am glad I have 4 3rd runs and a few 4th runs.

Anyone know which run a more opaque slightly pearly (but less so than 2nd run) NO bubbles in the rim would be? I have one and its nice.

That would be a 3rd run.

I'd been pretty nervous about losing my 3rd run C-FD. Finally found a back up for it, but a fresh P-line is like my beat 3rd run before it started to get flippy (just starting to see enough turn that it is squirreling out of my laser lines) so I'm using it in that slot until it breaks in. I don't yet have backups for my 2nd run, but I'm not too worried about losing it; I don't throw it in very high risk situations. I use it to stay/get OUT of trouble. I like my 5th runs just fine, but yeah; it's nice to dream about what the 6th runs might become.

What exactly are you looking for with the next run of the FD?

The Discmania GM has a bead.

Please tell me there will be another run of Mcbeth s p2s.

There will be another run of the McBeth S-P2 :)

Likely there will be a 5x run about this time next year ;)

I've posted a video of the new PDX on my instagram if you are interested in how it flies. I'd say it's a longer and more stable PD. Comfortable rim and mild dome. Flies far, but not as far as my PD2. If you have slower armspeed and the PD2 is too stable for you, the PDX should fit you well.

So the description that it is between the PD and PD2 is correct. Both stability and length wise!

Check out the video here:
https://www.instagram.com/p/_rS2JsyywX/

Thanks for the review!

Restocked! Yes!

yup!

I've had a couple p-line DD for a while now but never really gave them a shot. I've got the PD CD DD2 and PD2 in multiple plastics but I decided to bag the DD today and I'm impressed. Reminds me of a good stable destroyer. Less than my pd2 but still Damn stable. Flicks were on point. Think it's staying in the bag. P-line plastic is so ��

Thanks for the review of the DD. We have had a lot of people take notice to the DD in the last year. It's a very dependable and controllable high speed driver.

Seems like the fd3\pdx are too close too the current pd\ dd offerings. I totally understand if their trying to rebrand the dd into the PD family, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Fd3 just isn't a firebird replacement.

Pdx well I already have first run pds and dds...

We're working on a few things that should fill the void in your life.

It's a unique vision that Jussi has for this company, because the goal is to have 1 mold for each slot, not a lot of "beginner" stuff, and be ultra professional. I love it. However, it's a unique situation because you can't release 3-6 molds or more every calendar year.

You can go through an see the gaps between the entire market and the DiscMania line up are tons of understable discs, and crazy almost-unusable-overstable discs. Almost is the key word though.

If you were to compare the whole DM family to the rest of the world, there's no:
- Out of the Box Understable
- Crazy OS flat top putter
- " " Mid
- " " Fairway

So that's 4 molds left to release. Maybe a flippy putter, but not expected (yet) from the trajectory of the company.

You had the FD2 in response to the 2nd Run FD, you have the PDx in response to the FR PD (I think) - which i think is right thinking to try and make a "timeless" (in I believe Jussi's word) line of discs. 2nd run FDs won't be around forever (just sold a few myself, don't need um, waiting for the S CD2) so the attempt to make things like the PDx I think make sense.

If there's only a handful of slots left, what then do you do as a company? Install courses/"grow the sport" to sell more plastic i suppose. I think there's room to grow your market share/convert the competition throwers to your brand to sell more discs, rather than releasing a new dumb mold every month as well.

"None of the new releases have offered me anything I don't already have." That's kinda the point - This will really really be the point in a few years I expect, except there won't be any releases at all.

Let's assume in January DM releases a Zone, Comet, Gator, Firebird-X disc, and you buy a handful of each in your favorite plastic.

What could you possibly ask for after that?

I can only think of a beaded P2... I like,no, LOVE the feeling of a Yeti rim. I like a dead straight putter though so the P1x works great, although it has a low sloping shoulder to make it straight, and the bead far under the VTech bottom, it doesn't feel the same as other OS type beaded putters. A beaded XP2x I think would sell 1,000,000 units in year one and the KP2x about 3MM units, but that's just me.

Thank you for the insight. You have a pretty good understanding of what Discmania is about. However, we're pretty sure you guys will love what we're cooking up. Winter is all about setting up for the new year ;)

The cd2 \ pdx\ fd3 straight up overlap with the cd\dd\and pd. The whole "one mold for each slot" has not been the going trend.

I'm thinking we don't see the overlap in the same way you do. The FD3 is considerably more overstable than all other FDs we have made and gives players more confidence in the wind but it's not unusable for a large majority of players. The FD3 is also slower and blunt so when we the PD will possibly turn and carry further the FD3 will slow down and fade out. The PDx is created as a fundraiser - It has a specific purpose to help those that are looking for the First Run C-LINE PD type of flight and help raise funds for the Disc Golf World Tour (don't be worried we'll have a few different releases this year :) ). The CD2 however was being worked on to possibly reinvent the CD because we see it is too close to the PD - however we felt the flight of the CD2 was so good that it needed to have it's own name. I hope this helps explain how we are viewing the lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.