• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Official Ask Discmania Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So does "reinvented" mean new plastic/manufacturer or does it mean new mold entirely (+old name)? I've been combing the thread/video and can't seem to find a definitive answer, unless I missed it or lost my Lucky Charms decoder ring…

Well, absent a full clarification from Innova or Discmania, we can't know for sure.

The DM original line was made with molds owned by Innova made to specifications also owned by Innova. We can speculate that Innova would not have sold the molds or the specs, but we can't know for sure. But that seems the most likely.

And let's be clear here, it's the specifications for the mold that really matter. The actual injection molds won't last forever. Maybe jakebake has a sense of how many discs could be produced in the intended life span of an industrial scale injection mold, but whatever it is, I doubt it's a decade and a half worth of discs.

Or, conversely, you could say that once the actual original mold pieces that made the "original" originals, that those particular discs can never really be made again. Because the new mold will be different in some way. But that also goes for various lots of plastic that go into certain runs, etc. At the end of the day, the ongoing life of the P2 depends on a specification to make a mold that produces a disc that looks, feels and flies like a P2 is expected to.

So the most likely thing to have happened is that DM developed their own mold specifications doing their level best to produce a disc that is as close as possible to the "ideal" P2. Given how often different runs from the same molds are slightly different, that's really not all that rigorous of a specification.

Excited for Discmania's future with today's announcements, but good lord $35.99 + shipping for two baseline putters is wild. K3 Reko's are currently $14/per, for a Swedish-made baseline comparison.

Can't wait to feel up an MD3 in this fancy Italian plastic :p

And let's be clear here, it's the specifications for the mold that really matter. The actual injection molds won't last forever. Maybe jakebake has a sense of how many discs could be produced in the intended life span of an industrial scale injection mold, but whatever it is, I doubt it's a decade and a half worth of discs.

Without knowing how the mold was originally built and the number of shots, it's impossible to say. However, I used to work on molds that were originally built in the 80's. Built and maintained right, they last longer than you would think. And it's not like they are making 10 million discs a year.

Excited for Discmania's future with today's announcements, but good lord $35.99 + shipping for two baseline putters is wild. K3 Reko's are currently $14/per, for a Swedish-made baseline comparison.

Thought the same thing, so here's my question for you…

Who's the sucker: the person who buys 2 putters for $40+, or the person who passes on them?!

Innova and it's partners referencing other Innova products is one thing. them coming out with a a disc and marketing it as "just like a Buzzz" would be different.

Say you advertised your theme park and said you had an indoor roller coaster with a space theme, "Galaxy Peak, like Space Mountain", I think Disney would come after you pretty hard. And that's without the whole prior relationship between Innova and Discmania wherein Discmania owned the names of the discs. If Innova actually referenced those names when marketing the "new" discs, it would certainly be infringing on Discmania's IP. I would assume they'd have a case that Innova was intending to use DM's trademark for their own gain.

Im not saying they would advertise them that way. I think that they will name them some new name, people will find out what DM mold it is, everyone will know that the new "Flying Squirrel" fairway driver is actually an FD, and then people will buy them knowing they are getting rebranded FD's.

Where does it say they will be 35.99?

Where does it say they will be 35.99?

It got out out in a DM email:

Tomorrow marks the second day of forever,

Day one brought the world the news it had always hoped to hear, Discmania MFG. Your support has been tremendous today and the passionate feedback throughout the years has led us to this defining moment. Tomorrow brings the first taste of what the creative minds at Discmania are truly capable of, and we're just getting started.

Available 9am Mountain time Tuesday July 22. Limit one order (set of 2) per customer.

About the release:
Prototype D-Line P2 (2 pack) $35.99
This item is sold as a set of two. The goal is to provide a matching pair of stamp colors. *It is possible that some orders may vary
Limit one order per customer. Customers with more than one order will have the remainder or all of their orders cancelled.
Please allow 7-10 business days at minimum for your orders to be shipped. We are expecting to have the majority of orders shipped by the end of this week but are also waiting on at least one more shipment to arrive before we have the full portion that needs to be delivered to you.
ApplePay FTW: This is a great resource for checking out quickly if you have access to it. If you don't, finger push ups to improve dexterity are very helpful.d
Cart reservations are not active: We recommend that you proceed to check out as quickly as possible to avoid potential issues with your purchase.

It's not fancy unless you pronounce it with long "I"

I·tal·ian (iˈtalyən) = not fancy
Eye·tal·ian (īˈtalyən) = fancy

... and if you wanna be really fancy, you use an aristocrat grip (i.e. pinky extended out and away from the disc).

So what happens now with Avery's dual sponsorship?

I believe he confirmed that he had moved to strictly DM as the touring team manager a couple years back on a podcast or one of Simon's vlogs. Innova took AJ's signature off the Star TeeBird around that time.

It got out out in a DM email:

Tomorrow marks the second day of forever,

Day one brought the world the news it had always hoped to hear, Discmania MFG. Your support has been tremendous today and the passionate feedback throughout the years has led us to this defining moment. Tomorrow brings the first taste of what the creative minds at Discmania are truly capable of, and we're just getting started.

Available 9am Mountain time Tuesday July 22. Limit one order (set of 2) per customer.

About the release:
Prototype D-Line P2 (2 pack) $35.99
This item is sold as a set of two. The goal is to provide a matching pair of stamp colors. *It is possible that some orders may vary
Limit one order per customer. Customers with more than one order will have the remainder or all of their orders cancelled.
Please allow 7-10 business days at minimum for your orders to be shipped. We are expecting to have the majority of orders shipped by the end of this week but are also waiting on at least one more shipment to arrive before we have the full portion that needs to be delivered to you.
ApplePay FTW: This is a great resource for checking out quickly if you have access to it. If you don't, finger push ups to improve dexterity are very helpful.d
Cart reservations are not active: We recommend that you proceed to check out as quickly as possible to avoid potential issues with your purchase.

Thanks! I can see why there is a mark up on these honestly since they are Prototypes and (I assume) relatively limited. It is still quite high for some baseline plastic though, and a far cry from 8.99 or 9.99 for an Innova made P2. But hey, they have to pay for those fancy new injection molding machines, right? :clap:

I'm pretty sure that is just for the first run edition. I saw somewhere that their baseline is going to be like $13 or $14 each I think

I'm pretty sure that is just for the first run edition. I saw somewhere that their baseline is going to be like $13 or $14 each I think

Yeah, I think I saw 12.99 somewhere for the stock runs. Its not great, but its not horrible either. We also don't know how durable to plastic is yet. (Not to mention, are they going to make "p-line" plastic or just have the d-line stiff be the durable version? hmm).

Plastic prices in general have gone up. I think the days of $9 base plastic putters and $13 champ plastic drivers is behind us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts