• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

On the edge of professional Disc Golf

What a thread! Not just a dead horse, but an entire herd of them corralled together!

Pay to play is a horrible idea and would just deter people from playing. That's why disc golf is great, because it's free! And if you consider how much people play then we would end up spending thousands just to go to a local park. I think if you give it a few years it will be like skateboarding and become huge.

Don't we already "pay" for our parks through taxes? Don't be elitists about our game that is for everyone. Plus over-commercialization of anything can be bad. If it's not broken don't fix it

agree

plus, pay to play means I can't buy as many discs

No one prerubes anymore. sobsobsob. :(

Maybe smyith should be disciplined. He should know better. :D

Implying that this issue is a dead horse seems to indicate that the problem of disc golf promotion has been solved; that it's not worth discussing because someone's figured it all out and progress is being made.

I'd agree that progress is being made....but not because a magical mandate has been implemented and because of it all the stars are aligning. That said, I think the various ideas thrown around here are not only informative but beneficial to the game. Much more so than a couple A-tier pay-to-play courses subsidized by Microsoft in major cities would be, anyway.

Agree, disagree, or flame-spray as you like....

Sorry to offend......

It's just that the topics of substance use and culture, attracting big sponsors, spectators, pay-to-play vs. free, drunken disc golfers, TV coverage, disc golf vs. ball golf, disc golf vs. skateboarding, behavior of pros, etc., have been argued to death. Or, very clearly, not to death, but an awful lot.

But to find them all in a single thread is simply marvelous.

I didn't mean to imply that they shouldn't be discussed any more.

Feel free to add making putting more difficult to that list.

Except, of course, for putts, where even non-golfers like myself can be amazed watching the ball curve perfectly with the slope of the green, plopping into the cup with an amazing accuracy, considering the ratio of length of putt to size of target.

I think putting is the boring part. Ball golf is cool to watch live but TV isn't the best. I think Disc golf would be better to watch. :D

Implying that this issue is a dead horse seems to indicate that the problem of disc golf promotion has been solved; that it's not worth discussing because someone's figured it all out and progress is being made.

I'd agree that progress is being made....but not because a magical mandate has been implemented and because of it all the stars are aligning. That said, I think the various ideas thrown around here are not only informative but beneficial to the game. Much more so than a couple A-tier pay-to-play courses subsidized by Microsoft in major cities would be, anyway.

Agree, disagree, or flame-spray as you like....

You really should pay attention: I'd already CONTRIBUTED to the topic before this post. I was just agreeing [albeit in a troll-like way] that it has been widely covered.

I retract my "nicely voiced" statement to you earlier. :|

You really should pay attention: I'd already CONTRIBUTED to the topic before this post. I was just agreeing [albeit in a troll-like way] that it has been widely covered.

No problem, bro. My response wasn't meant as condemnation of your opinion that the topic has already been discussed, it was mostly intended to highlight the fact that the vast amount of new blood that have recently become enamored with the wonders of disc golf (e.g. people like me) haven't seen the discussions on the topic and some may have an idea that hasn't been tossed around or a skill-set that could be beneficial to the resolution of the OP. Maybe, maybe not, but I just hate to think that newbies who would otherwise feel compelled to chime in would be discouraged because this particular issue is a "dead horse" to the old salts on the forum.

In short, no disrespect intended.

I retract my "nicely voiced" statement to you earlier. :|

Duly noted, but it doesn't make my comments any less "nicely voiced." I know they were. Your "validation," while appreciated, is irrelevant.

Jussi Meresmaa needs an editor. Not knocking the content, but since English isn't his first language - he should pass it along to somebody to polish it up.

Also, I really need a private household chef.

Yeah, hard to take it seriously when no copy editor saw it.

Jussi speculated on what the sport might have been like if Steady Ed had promoted pay-to-play right away. He did. But it failed in several places where it was tried like the Twin Cities with not enough player base yet. I remember one of the MFA old timers telling me that Minneapolis got a course or two from Ed with the idea it could be financed with fees to play. I'm not sure how long the courses were there but I believe they didn't last for more than a few years.

Most if not all of the courses in Maine have been pay-to-play from the beginning in the 80s. Mainers, correct me if I'm wrong but I'm not sure even an A-tier has been run there yet? So much for the idea that a pay model by itself will help boost the pro game, at least with several U.S. examples so far. But pay to play may be needed to develop and manage the type of properties and courses more suitable for top level play moving forward, presuming the owners are interested in promoting the top pro level.

Morley Field was one of the first entrepreneurial pay courses with Snapper Pierson building it into what is likely the top grossing P2P course in the U.S. But I think he favors running mostly amateur events and really doesn't need to do so because he has enough traffic without them. San Diegans might know but I'm not sure he does much to directly support the pros in the area. seems like only a few if any pro A-tiers or higher have ever been held there.

Last edited:
What Nate said

Pay to play is a horrible idea and would just deter people from playing. That's why disc golf is great, because it's free! And if you consider how much people play then we would end up spending thousands just to go to a local park. I think if you give it a few years it will be like skateboarding and become huge.

Don't we already "pay" for our parks through taxes? Don't be elitists about our game that is for everyone. Plus over-commercialization of anything can be bad. If it's not broken don't fix it

There is pay to play courses, on private land. Free Is the best part of disc golf. There wouldn't be a fraction of the existing pros with out the availability of free courses for people to discover a passion for the game.

I think with the PDGA needs to latch on with the legalize it movement and momentum that is sweeping the country. Instead of down playing or hiding that aspect of the sport they should encourage and promote it. There you go, something unique and something that is already trending. Don't miss the boat PDGA.

Because DG is a "heads" sport. Always was and always will be.

Stop dreaming of getting major sponsors like Nike. They are a poser company anyway. They come late to every sport. Skatebording was doing it's own thing long before Nike wanted a piece of the action.

So if you really want sponsors hit up companies relevant to our sport. Hit up ZigZag and Job rolling papers. Natural light beer. Maybe hit up the bigger dispensaries in Cali. and CO. And for sure look into talking to the Vaporizer companies. That chit is big time on the DG courses right now.
I would say that this is not only the path that the sport should take, but it's the most likely path in general. Sort of the direction I was headed in my post, just because you partake in certain activities doesn't make you a hippie (whatever that subjective term means anyway) Look at the states that are legalizing at many levels (town, city, state, etc.) and see their numbers for projected economic growth in that sector, most are quite astonishing. While perhaps that the seeds of this change were planted in the counterculture of the 1960's, the result we have now is large, and becoming more and more mainstream. To frou frou that whole population in the interest of keeping up your false and baseless morality is not only fruitless, but in my eyes, possibly detrimental to the sport.

Imagine you walk into the local shop on your course to find it contains not only the latest and greatest in Disc Golf equipment, but also a fine selection of the highest quality herbal product. 99% of you are nearly drooling, case closed. Not to mention the much higher level of profits the shop would make, allowing for more resources to be spent in course upkeep, advertising, and growth.

I could do with out the Natty Light sponsorships though...

P.s. Also, if you think that Nike has any morals at all, I suggest you do some research on Sweatshops and Child Labour. I guess here on DGCR we are OK with slavery, but damned be those wretched stoners!

Last edited:
Disc golf will never be "big." And that's just the way it should be.

There is pay to play courses, on private land. Free Is the best part of disc golf. There wouldn't be a fraction of the existing pros with out the availability of free courses for people to discover a passion for the game.
There are many pay to play public courses and some cost just as much or even more than the private courses.