• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

One leg drill, stupid question.

One of my favorite drills is getting my most overstable disc and trying to throw it for the longest flight before it hyzers out. My longest flight with that disc is 305 feet.

This is potentially setting you up for a ton of unlearning bad habits. I'd set you up with neutral putters and have you throwing slight hyzers.

To flex an OS disc to 300', you're introducing the wrong posture.

One-step movement.

To put this is perspective, I'm 45 - a few years older than Joe. I also parked the first hole that he throws. And on a wide open hole I was just as far down the fairway as he was. I'm not bragging, but I would caution against saying "I'm this old, probably done throwing far..." - If you continue to work on flexibility, good form and overall body strength, I believe that most guys can throw high power shots consistently.

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question about the brace:
When the brace leg juices the throw, is it a "bump" or a press and hold?
In other words, imagine that there's a pressure sensor under my brace foot. Should the pressure spike as I shift weight to it and then decrease sharply before the upper body comes through the throw, or does the pressure rise as I settle onto the front foot and stay high until I've completed my follow through? Or something else?

When I think about whipping my tennis forehand, the pressure is more of a bump in my lead foot. On my disc golf backhand, should I be going for the same bump and whip feeling as the tennis forehand, but the feeling is that I'm swinging lefty and hitting a ball that's slightly behind me (due to use of lead shoulder instead of trailing shoulder)? I know that the throw would probably correlate better to my tennis backhand, but I've never felt the ground up power quite as well on my tennis backhand.

this was a video I shared with a guy I've been working with for a while. It's not an edited video, and some of the ideas were very specific to him, but I think the middle bit specifically about where the hips move from top of backswing to the downswing may be helpful.

Whelp, I have been scouring videos, read hundreds of pages of this forum over the past month, and...

this is the one that did it for me. I'm sure its a culmination of a lot of info, but thanks man! Fundamental shift in the entire feel of what I am doing!

No sooner than Calvin Heimburg. Do you think he opens his hips too early?

The video you linked shows a continuous rotation. I just watched Heimburg in slow motion drives and there is a noticeable pause in the brace, which is precisely the 'thing' that I just had a revelation in feel about. Now that I felt it, I can see it in all of the drives. No pro drives like the video you posted, but it is very easy to overlook that without feeling it first.

If what you are arguing were the ideal way to generate power, that is, with deliberate rotational forces, why would you even have a weight shift? Why wouldn't you just wind up as far as you can and spin as fast as possible to generate the maximum power? What is your step forward attempting to accomplish if rotation is the engine, and not incidental?

The video you linked shows a continuous rotation. I just watched Heimburg in slow motion drives and there is a noticeable pause in the brace, which is precisely the 'thing' that I just had a revelation in feel about. Now that I felt it, I can see it in all of the drives. No pro drives like the video you posted, but it is very easy to overlook that without feeling it first.

If what you are arguing were the ideal way to generate power, that is, with deliberate rotational forces, why would you even have a weight shift? Why wouldn't you just wind up as far as you can and spin as fast as possible to generate the maximum power? What is your step forward attempting to accomplish if rotation is the engine, and not incidental?

Rotation is what converts the rotational torque of the torso into and through the arm extending into release. Personally, my brace isn't powerful yet, neither is my rotation. I'm still pretty new. I do know how the power is generated though and can feel it in my core as it coils and then unwinds.

The video was throwing no disc and at low power. I went and watched video of my own throwing a disc and there is a noticeable pause in the hip in rotation as I release the disc. Thanks for pointing that out.

Rotation is what converts the rotational torque of the torso into and through the arm extending into release. Personally, my brace isn't powerful yet, neither is my rotation. I'm still pretty new. I do know how the power is generated though and can feel it in my core as it coils and then unwinds.

I am new also, so my wording is probably poor, but I am standing here swinging around like a moron trying to understand how it would even be possible to brace against rotational torque. You can't perform a hockey stop out of a figure skating spin. The concept of a brace 100% implies lateral momentum to brace against.

I'm no sidewinder, but I would imagine you are kind of reversed in your thought about the movement. You are rotating with incidental lateral movement, and should be the other way around. Your incidental lateral movement is not powerful enough to cause the feeling of an actual brace.

I am new also, so my wording is probably poor, but I am standing here swinging around like a moron trying to understand how it would even be possible to brace against rotational torque. You can't perform a hockey stop out of a figure skating spin. The concept of a brace 100% implies lateral momentum to brace against.

I'm no sidewinder, but I would imagine you are kind of reversed in your thought about the movement. You are rotating with incidental lateral movement, and should be the other way around. Your incidental lateral movement is not powerful enough to cause the feeling of an actual brace.

I'm new and it's hard to explain things in disc golf terms. Lateral movement as I understand is the motion of the run-up and x step. By itself, lateral motion is just that- motion forward. It has no rotational motion or ability on its own. It's when you produce rotation to initiate torque combined with lateral motion that provides the power. I can run laterally all I want and then brace against my front leg and there will be absolutely no rotation as the brace happens. Lateral motion and bracing provides no rotation on its own. You have to initiate rotation with the rear leg just prior to brace that creates the torque to rotate as the brace forces the rotation already begun to pivot against and come around powerfully. It requires both legs to generate the spin- the rear to initiate and the front to pivot against to increase whip. That's how I understand it.

I'm new and it's hard to explain things in disc golf terms. Lateral movement as I understand is the motion of the run-up and x step. By itself, lateral motion is just that- motion forward. It has no rotational motion or ability on its own. It's when you produce rotation to initiate torque combined with lateral motion that provides the power. I can run laterally all I want and then brace against my front leg and there will be absolutely no rotation as the brace happens. Lateral motion and bracing provides no rotation on its own. You have to initiate rotation with the rear leg just prior to brace that creates the torque to rotate as the brace forces the rotation already begun to pivot against and come around powerfully. It requires both legs to generate the spin- the rear to initiate and the front to pivot against to increase whip. That's how I understand it.

You can generate a fair bit of power doing what you are describing, much more than simply strong-arming, or at least with much less effort. This counts as a revelation compared to strong-arming and I get it. If this were easy to describe these discussions would be a lot shorter.

I was doing exactly what you are defending, not because I believed it was the best way, but it was the only way I had to work with. Everyone has said lots of things that make perfect sense after I had this feeling now...and this has probably been one of them but:

To generate the power your way, I imagine you 'feel' like you are starting the engine with your rear hip rotating forward. Try to mentally do the opposite, and use your leading hip to rotate 'backwards'. Argh I really don't know, that isn't really it either. There certainly is a fundamental difference in the feeling of trying to rotate, and...doing this other thing.

If you 'crush the can' during your lateral running, you don't feel it drive your front hip back, causing a rotational force that is not initiated by the back hip?

You are rotating with incidental lateral movement, and should be the other way around. Your incidental lateral movement is not powerful enough to cause the feeling of an actual brace.

^^ This

If you 'crush the can' during your lateral running, you don't feel it drive your front hip back, causing a rotational force that is not initiated by the back hip?

Not sure what you are saying but however forward hip rotation starts, it begins just before front foot plant. If one waited until all the weight was on the front foot before hip rotation started they wouldn't be able to rotate.