• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Photon (11-12 Speed) Distance Driver

They have so much going on right now. Sure high speed drivers are a priority for the fans, but plasma is as well and axiom needs the love too for the brothers. I for one think it's fine. The only release that got buried was the proxy with the base line atoms. Other than that these three can co exist! Me thinks they have a ton in store in the next few weeks and who knows maybe a surprise we don't know about! Based on your reviews onemile I am gonna wait for the wave as I loathe high speed drivers with my teeny tiny paws.

with high speeds how much more do they need to fill their line up up? It's rhetorical, I cannot wait to see what comes next. I try not to be "such" a fan and I hate the term fanboy, but something about these discs just works for me. I love hearing "that was a putter?" And what was that you threw!

They have so much going on right now. Sure high speed drivers are a priority for the fans, but plasma is as well and axiom needs the love too for the brothers. I for one think it's fine. The only release that got buried was the proxy with the base line atoms. Other than that these three can co exist! Me thinks they have a ton in store in the next few weeks and who knows maybe a surprise we don't know about! Based on your reviews onemile I am gonna wait for the wave as I loathe high speed drivers with my teeny tiny paws.

I'm not a fan of the wide rims, either. That said, these don't feel that fat in the hand. I threw a DD2 alongside the Photon today, and I know the DD2 is a speed 13, but they felt way further apart than their speeds would indicate. I think MVP/Axiom have done a nice job of keeping their rims shapes comfortable as they've gone up in speeds. This one reminds me of how the Renegade feels. It's fast, but the rim doesn't feel fast, if that makes any sense.

Ok, so after reading the reviews and watching MikeC's video, I can't wait to get my hands on this disc. This will be my first venture into lightweight discs. But, to me watching Mike throw them these look like a star destroyer in that mm ummm sweet spot. I love destroyers, hate sifting for decent ones. Yup, 146, 164 in fission, and one at about 171 when the heavy ones come. I could see that knocking destroyers and outlaws to the curb.

I'm not a fan of the wide rims, either. That said, these don't feel that fat in the hand. I threw a DD2 alongside the Photon today, and I know the DD2 is a speed 13, but they felt way further apart than their speeds would indicate. I think MVP/Axiom have done a nice job of keeping their rims shapes comfortable as they've gone up in speeds. This one reminds me of how the Renegade feels. It's fast, but the rim doesn't feel fast, if that makes any sense.

It makes sense. I used to bag Renegades, and that's a very fast and long driver for having only a 2.1 rim.

I hate wide rimmed drivers and the Photon feels great. It is pretty big in the hand, but when driving it, there were no issues. And for FH it feels very comfortable.

I haven't measured the rims yet. But I know Nukes, Quasars and Bosses are wider rimmed than the D series, and holding up a Photon to a D2 the Photon is no wider than the Prodigy. Personally I like this, because I've never gotten as good of a grip on speed 13+ discs as I do on Destroyers, D1-4's, Swords, Orc, Teslas or anything else in the 10-12 range.

with high speeds how much more do they need to fill their line up up? It's rhetorical, I cannot wait to see what comes next. I try not to be "such" a fan and I hate the term fanboy, but something about these discs just works for me. I love hearing "that was a putter?" And what was that you threw!

I bet they will begin to overlap like Innova. Hopefully before that they fill out their lineup in all (or most) of the plastics. Axiom still needs to fill out their lineup more then MVP. I'm not overly interested in anything faster then the Speed 10 class from Axiom but I will check out anything fast in Fission.

really? Aren't most things, other than distance drivers, covered by MVP and axiom currently?

really? Aren't most things, other than distance drivers, covered by MVP and axiom currently?

They have a few gaps still, as mentioned in the MVP thread. I like this trend of more lightweight discs. The Photon is a disc that a huge range of players can throw, from beginners to pros. It has a healthy fade, but is actually very straight for the first part of the flight.

I was wondering if there are people who only throw axiom, like it's an actual separate company.

I feel like the molds are so complimentary that there's little reason to view them that way. Resistor/Servo/Crave/Inspire/Switch all have incredibly similar rim shapes for example, and compliment the stabilities between each mold perfectly.

yeah, the overall product lineup feels very complete.

It is (or will be very soon). Even before the Photon, there was no reason you couldn't rock a completely MVP/Axiom bag. The distance drivers are the last piece of the puzzle.

I fully expect rave reviews from nearly everyone who throws this disc. The Photon might be the next Volt, or flagship, as onemilemore said.

yeah, the overall product lineup feels very complete.

I'd like to see them flesh out the midranges a bit more. Something in the Axis speed class that is understable out of the box would be nice. Also, quite a few people want a Zone clone. There are definitely some gaps to fill in.

I'm hoping the new speed 6 class coming out later hits the extremes of stability. Maybe follow the 4 disc range like their 20 mm and up classes to cover the gaps instead of the 3 disc grouping they used for fairways.

Question for the testers... How low can you guys with cannon arms go on these photons before they need alot of room to work, I watched Mike C vid last night, thanks for doing those man they are great, but I couldn't tell where that line is...really hoping these are as grippy add I've read too...

Latest posts