• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PIAS - Great Finds

Cali said:
Not a PIAS find but yesterday at the course I came across a dude selling some sweet discs right off the hood of his truck and scored a 10x KC Pro Teebird. an 11x KC Pro Gazelle and a 11x KC Firebird all nearly brand new for 20 bucks. :p
Man, I love it when that happens! Some of my best finds are from random people selling on the course.

My PIAS got in a bunch of Discraft X-outs.
X2s, XLs, XSs, Cyclones, Bangers, Challengers, Focuses, Magnets, Hawks, Stratuses, Xtremes, etc.
Apparently other PIAS locations got similar batches.

Mr. Plow said:
Man, I love it when that happens! Some of my best finds are from random people selling on the course.

Same here. Last year there was a group of rec players blowing through the course. The one player threw an errant shot and it landed in my fairway. As I am walking up I notice it was a late run CE Valk in 9/10 condition. When he got over to it, I asked him if he was willing to trade it to me. He said sure. He said he really liked Beasts and said he would trade me straight up for a Beast if I had one. Just so happened, I did. Score for me. Turned around and sold it for $35 a few days later to a friend of mine.

Mr. Plow said:
Cali said:
Not a PIAS find but yesterday at the course I came across a dude selling some sweet discs right off the hood of his truck and scored a 10x KC Pro Teebird. an 11x KC Pro Gazelle and a 11x KC Firebird all nearly brand new for 20 bucks. :p

My best find of all time was off a buddy I didn't even know threw. Found and old Innova bag in his garage and snooped through. Found a 8x KC Pro Roc and swooped it for 10 bucks.

Cali said:
Mr. Plow said:
Cali said:

My best find of all time was off a buddy I didn't even know threw. Found and old Innova bag in his garage and snooped through. Found a 8x KC Pro Roc and swooped it for 10 bucks.

Must not have been to good of a buddy. Nice find.

stopped in the local PIAS and didn't find anything worth while, but did find something I found funny in the used bin.
It was a beat to hell and back Aurora MS with the stamp wore off (but still readable if you tilted it in the light) and they just labeled it "Red Disc"
They also had a Crush labeled "Discreet Crush" ... at least I got some chuckles out of my visit.

Was just at PIAS a couple days ago and there was an 11x teebird and 11x eagle.. Didn't pick up either of them, on account of the fact that I had 0$.

not PIAS, but i just scored a first run star destroyer and a champ cobra for $10.59 at a local record store.

I just want you all to know that I've stopped hating you and this thread...my local PIAS finally got some used stock in! Whoo hoo! There's a bunch of stuff old stuff but most of it is x-out or tourney stamped stuff with no markings, so I have no idea what it all is. Some are even signed by people (probably event fundraisers for the tourney or something), but I can't read the signatures.

But, I picked up a flat max weight Pro Firebird for $7, so I'm happy. Feels great, kind of like some Star stuff I have. I'm used to seeing the stamp on Champion-type discs, what kind of plastic is it? It's gonna make a nice forehander, nice and grippy.

P1030483.jpg

I picked up a tourney pro comet id say 8/10 and its pink! It only cost me $4 too! I just picked up a fuse so I am not sure I want to bother throwing this disc since I know they are hard to find as well, not sure the value of a good condition tourney pro comet though.

I just replenished my supply of used DX rocs by going to PIAS and getting 5 dx rocs for $4 a piece. I also picked up a first run Xcal for $5 and and a pink star destroyer for $6.

emiller3 said:
I just want you all to know that I've stopped hating you and this thread...my local PIAS finally got some used stock in! Whoo hoo! There's a bunch of stuff old stuff but most of it is x-out or tourney stamped stuff with no markings, so I have no idea what it all is. Some are even signed by people (probably event fundraisers for the tourney or something), but I can't read the signatures.

But, I picked up a flat max weight Pro Firebird for $7, so I'm happy. Feels great, kind of like some Star stuff I have. I'm used to seeing the stamp on Champion-type discs, what kind of plastic is it? It's gonna make a nice forehander, nice and grippy.

P1030483.jpg
It looks like a Pro plastic FL with the older Pro Firebird stamp. They aren't very common, but I have a few of them.

How can I tell an x-mold from an l-mold. The underside of the wing looks the same, but I don't know what I'm looking for. It's marked FB.

Just picked up a 167 orange ce valk, and heavy feeling orange ce leaopard at our local pias for 11$. They also had a pearly Orc and a dglo stamped midnight buzz floating around in the used bin as well.

Yeah, forgot to post here, I'm like Frank I always check for Rocs in the used bin. Found a perfectly beat right facing Roc when I got the CE QJ also.
It's generally slow at the one I found that actually has some used disc, so far I've found some pretty decent stuff there though.

emiller3 said:
How can I tell an x-mold from an l-mold. The underside of the wing looks the same, but I don't know what I'm looking for. It's marked FB.
The X mold Firebird has a "notch" on the bottom of the wing on the nose, the L mold does not have the notch so the underside of the wing is perfectly smooth. This holds true for Teebirds and Eagles as well in differentiating between X and L mold. Most of the Pro Firebirds with that stamp were candy plastic and were the X mold, and the only ones I've seen which aren't candy plastic (like yours) are Pro plastic and are the L mold.

Yep, it's L-mold, no notch. I'll see how it flies tomorrow. Might not be as interested in it if it's not as stable, I've got Eagles for that...

Latest posts