• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Professionalism in discs

ViolaBouquet

Eagle Member
I am wondering if anyone out there feels the way I do. I apologize if there is a thread on this that I just could not find.

I am not talking about disc golfer's being professional but instead companies and more specifically the names of discs being professional.

I really like the way Prodigy describes their discs. Although there are issues with the new M1 not being the old M1, or the original M3 now being the M2 I prefer discussing disc golf to new players with those instead of describing the Shark, the Wahoo, or even the Vibram 420. It my seem petty but I would like the sport to be taken seriously. I still throw a buzzz, flick, and other discs with names so I am not completely avoiding discs because of "names." I originally like Discmania's idea of just having a nickname until they plastered some plastics with a giant crazy stamp over the whole thing.

I understand there is the "Who cares" and just "wipe the stamp" argument, but for me I would like to see more companies describe their discs as just over-stable, or with a number rather than trying to come up with another silly name. Your thoughts?

There are two camps here on DGCR. Those who don't mind Prodigy names, and those who hate them (and aren't afraid to say it...multiple times).

I don't mind them and think they make perfect sense. Well, the M1 thing...that was bound to happen. But the premise is sound.

I get the argument, but what does it have to do with professionalism?

It's 100% marketing. I know I sell more Destroyers and Bosses and Wraiths and Beasts because of the name alone than I do M4s and F5s and D4s that are easy to explain to newbs. Frankly, I don't care what the discs are called as long as they fly the way I expect/want them to.

Why does everyone want this niche, hippie sport to be so damned "professional?"

I will live my entire days not understanding this. Call me a hipster, I don't care.

I prefer discs with nice stamps and names over something like Z3. It gives the disc more character in my opinion and discs with stamps look nicer. That said I think Discmania´s approach is a nice compromise on that issue as there are "professional" shield stamps but also the ones with the nickname and a nice picture.

I dont think it matters. Ball golf has the Big Bertha, Burner and King Cobra and that doesnt seem to keep people from taking the sport seriously.

When it comes to the sport being taken seriously, the image many players portray is far more damaging than any name or stamp the companies have come up with.

I think the big thing with the Prodigy named thing is they were so darn arrogant about it, much the same way Discraft is with their stability rating rather than flight numbers. Prodigy's way actually makes more sense than Discmania's, which only differentiates based on speed and not on stability it seems. However, with the M2/M3 and now M1 issues, it seems like you have to get it right from the start. However, if they would just print flight numbers on them or even just the year or version on the discs, that issue wouldn't be as big. Something like "M2v1, M2v2" etc would be huge for differentiating changes in the lineup, rather than just having to know how each disc feels. As far as the names, eh, I don't mind it, and I love the DX stamps Innova has; I also love how Westside does their names and stamps, drawing from their national heritage. I can see the argument to be professional, but eh, I really like the fun side to named discs.

When it comes to the sport being taken seriously, the image many players portray is far more damaging than any name or stamp the companies have come up with.

In the disc golf community, I think you're right. However, I don't think touring pros would have much affect on the general population, because I'd wager most Americans don't even know there's a PDGA, much less a National Tour and majors. For those people, the main way they'll gain an impression of a company is by seeing discs at a local sporting goods store, so I'd say in that respect, stamp/name >>>> touring pros. However, in our community, I completely agree with your post.

I dont think it matters. Ball golf has the Big Bertha, Burner and King Cobra and that doesnt seem to keep people from taking the sport seriously.
Exactly. This sort of thing has always been around. I specifically remember seeing commercials for Big Bertha when I was growing up.

People like to name their stuff. It's just how it goes. Names are fun. Numbers, not so much.

In the disc golf community, I think you're right. However, I don't think touring pros would have much affect on the general population, because I'd wager most Americans don't even know there's a PDGA, much less a National Tour and majors. For those people, the main way they'll gain an impression of a company is by seeing discs at a local sporting goods store, so I'd say in that respect, stamp/name >>>> touring pros. However, in our community, I completely agree with your post.
I'm not al all worried about touring pros giving the sport a bad image.

I am wondering if anyone out there feels the way I do. I apologize if there is a thread on this that I just could not find.

I am not talking about disc golfer's being professional but instead companies and more specifically the names of discs being professional.

I really like the way Prodigy describes their discs. Although there are issues with the new M1 not being the old M1, or the original M3 now being the M2 I prefer discussing disc golf to new players with those instead of describing the Shark, the Wahoo, or even the Vibram 420. It my seem petty but I would like the sport to be taken seriously. I still throw a buzzz, flick, and other discs with names so I am not completely avoiding discs because of "names." I originally like Discmania's idea of just having a nickname until they plastered some plastics with a giant crazy stamp over the whole thing.

I understand there is the "Who cares" and just "wipe the stamp" argument, but for me I would like to see more companies describe their discs as just over-stable, or with a number rather than trying to come up with another silly name. Your thoughts?

Non issue for me. What bothers me is that there are 5 versions of every disc, and each plastic blend has its own flight characteristic. When you think about it there really could be so many more goofy names.

Its all marketing, much like Coke and Pepsi. Lightening did what you are suggesting naming their discs #1 Hyzer, Rubber Putter, etc., but nobody bough their discs.

the japanese, italians, and americans like to name their cars with aspirational titles. Prius, Testarossa, Corvette. the germans like to use letter/number designations (bmw M3, Mercedes E500).

a disc is a disc. either way they're getting the same 4 or 5 disc flight rating designation by places like disc golf center so we can still make sense of it in the end.

discmania went full crazy naming (literally because all were some sort of psychiatric/medical disorder names) then well full german/cold number letter designation right after. so the PD is THE FREAK, but now the new discs are merely "power driver".

a good disc is a good disc name or number designation be dammed. even newer discs like the Tern is a head scratching choice, but eventually actually makes total sense by sheer luck (because when thrown hard the disc will in fact "turn", but also does have incredible glide like a Tern bird - floaty and graceful).

damn it you made me ramble.

DG is fun

Most of the disc names are fun

This isn't a problem for the sport/game

What bothers me is that there are 5 versions of every disc, and each plastic blend has its own flight characteristic.

^This. And the inconsistency even in the same disc, same plastic, from proto to first run to whatever, is what I'd consider unprofessional, if anything.

Loves me my Wraith, Firebird, Tursas, Ridge. Don't care what they're called but is easier for me to remember names than letter/number combos.

It my seem petty but I would like the sport to be taken seriously.
Then cut out all the parts about a flying disc! There are a gazillion sports to be normal and respected in... why mess up disc golf? Keep it weird. Embrace that or play tennis and be respected. Never thought I'd see the day were Keep Disc Golf Weird would be a necessary mantra.

There are two camps here on DGCR. Those who don't mind Prodigy names, and those who hate them (and aren't afraid to say it...multiple times).

<raises hand> me

I want to leave work in the office, not stare at a disc that has a bad C variable name.

^This. And the inconsistency even in the same disc, same plastic, from proto to first run to whatever, is what I'd consider unprofessional, if anything.

It's almost like these people are trying to run a business and sell more stuff. Who do they think they are?!?!?

Pretty much anyone who's been around awhile knows what a Roc, Buzzz, Nuke, Detroyer or Teebird is and what they are intended for even if they have never thrown one. Not so much with the alphabet names, An MD-what? F-who? PA-huh? I've been around awhile and I still don't really know much about Prodigy discs because they hold no attention/retention for me.

Yeah, some names are kind of dumb, but they have stick that numbers and letters usually don't.

It's almost like these people are trying to run a business and sell more stuff. Who do they think they are?!?!?

Thanks for pointing out disc manufacturing is a business, but that's no reason not to make quality assurance part of the production process.